ADVERTISEMENT

Time to cut it out

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I've been completely against folding the football program because I 've been concerned about the impact on Basketball. Where can we go and play Basketball and our other sports without football?

I've completely changed my mind after the start of this football season and I'm in favor of cutting football.

Some suggest we should keep football at a lower level. They are in favor of dropping sports to the FCS level and joining the Big Sky. This could work but I think football at Allegiant would look ridiculous with FCS teams.

There are other possible solutions than FCS.

1. Petition the MWC to allow us to stay without football. ( They allow Hawaii to play football only and they will be desperate to keep teams for fear of losses to AAC)

2. Petition the WCC to enter. Perhaps we can convince them to allow in a University without a religious affiliation. ( They will be anxious to replace BYU for more competition for Gonzaga)

3. Petition the WAC to allow us in without football. (they allow many teams to play individual sports)

4. Join the Big West.

All of these are poor solutions to someone who is a football fan. And dropping football stiffs people who put $$ in the football facility. But the ultimate poor solution is to keep going like we are. That involves pouring millions of dollars, annually, down a rathole that less that 1% of the local residents care about.

Just treat it like a cyst on your butt and cut it out. When it's done we'll feel better.

Where do find the martyr to start this discussion. Hard to see unlv dropping football unless the state of Nevada decides to drop football. And I don’t see that happening. Eventually, like the Chicago Cubs, the curse will lift. Meanwhile, I am just amazed by our unique ineptitude. More amazing, each week I secretly think things will change😐

This has certainly been the most disappointing stretch of UNLV FB I have witnessed in the last 45 years. By Most accounts we have had 2 of our best recruiting classes back to back. Could Arroyo be the David Rice of UNLV FB, good players but poor roster construction? Or is it more likely that it is horrible coaching? I tend to believe it is a little of the former and a whole lot of the latter.
What I saw last night was an abomination even by UNLV standards. After 2 years on the job the QB situation is a total mess. Nearly every play the opposition runs is good for a first down. Hard to watch.
There is a possible solution in spite of the fact that our athletic department is in shambles and our boosters can’t agree on anything and that solution is Mark Davis. Not only does he seem to have a genuine interest in Las Vegas (Aces) but he also has a financial interest in a successful UNLV FB program. Would he rather have 55,000 fans purchasing $10 beers or 7,000 fans? He would gain financially by buying out Arroyo’s contract and bringing in a big time coach.
If that can’t be accomplished then somebody needs to go to Sanchez and ask forgiveness and beg him to come back unless Tony Knapp is available.

Reactions: rebel5280
I'd have to see the numbers, but despite the losing and poor attendance, doesn't football actually make money via guarantee games and TV packaging?

Reactions: willlevi
You can't drop football simply because the program made a bad coaching hire.
No, you drop football because only around 10,000 people out of @ 3,000,000 care to support it. You drop football because only @ 300 students show up to what was the biggest home game of the year. You cut football because it is arguably the worst program in the country. You cut football because the athletes that come know they will be a loser their entire college career and they come here anyway. You cut football because the town is made up of transplants that care about their home team and not the Rebels. You cut football because the town is becoming a Raider town and not a Rebel town. You cut football because the culture of the city is a pro sports culture.

You cut it because there is really no reason to keep it and there are several ways out.

Basketball is a dumpster fire also, what makes you think dropping football is gonna make basketball return to the 1990 glory days lol lol UNLV fans make no sense lol
Never said it would bring basketball back to the 90's. I said there are ways to drop football and continue basketball.

L
Have fun watching UNLV play basketball on courts with volleyball lines on them.

Those games against the likes of Sacramento State will be riveting..
Let's talk about basketball.

I haven't seen that playing in smaller gyms hurts Gonzaga.

And you can't win the National Championship if you don't get to the dance.
As college sports moves forward it's my opinion that the top 5 conferences will occupy even more of the spots available. The rest of the conferences will be down to one spot for each conference tourney champ. We need to face that we aren't getting in a top 5 conference.

It won't hurt us what league we play in if we are only playing for the conference tourney title. No matter where we play we only have one shot to get in.

Have fun watching UNLV play basketball on courts with volleyball lines on them.

Those games against the likes of Sacramento State will be riveting..
What’s the difference between that and having last years third in line assistant coaching UNLV Basketball??

L

Let's talk about basketball.

I haven't seen that playing in smaller gyms hurts Gonzaga.

And you can't win the National Championship if you don't get to the dance.
As college sports moves forward it's my opinion that the top 5 conferences will occupy even more of the spots available. The rest of the conferences will be down to one spot for each conference tourney champ. We need to face that we aren't getting in a top 5 conference.

It won't hurt us what league we play in if we are only playing for the conference tourney title. No matter where we play we only have one shot to get in.

We aren't Gonzaga for one...

Reactions: rickyb55
What’s the difference between that and having last years third in line assistant coaching UNLV Basketball??

The difference being, a basketball only school in say the WAC isn't going to neccesarily change UNLVs fate or trajectory of the program.

Look, I get the angst about how this season is going and how bad the program has been..

There has never been any type of commitment to football until recently.

I'm not suggesting Arroyo get 5 years to build his vision or whatever.

But expecting the facility and the bump in recruiting to pay dividends immediately is silly. Couldn't even use it or get the benefit of it in recruiting during the Covid year.

I posted this on here years ago, around the time Sanford had his lockeroom rant. He wasn't wrong. The complete apathy from administration in regards to football is why UNLV athletics is where it is today.

Utah, Cincy, TCU, and a number of other schools saw the way the wind was blowing and started pumping money into football. They either got into a P5 conference or they have positioned themselves for an invite.

UNLV did nothing and tried to ride the coattails of a fading basketball program. Sure Kruger had a decent run, but we were never a powerhouse.

We aren't Gonzaga. We aren't Villanova.

We're a middling mid major, and dropping football and joining another conference likely doesn't change our fortunes.

Reactions: rickyb55
We aren't Gonzaga for one...
As much as we want it to, successful football is just not going to happen here.

We've had over forty years to get successful and we are still the worst team in college football. It would be different if there was occasional success. We know within the first 5 minutes of each season that we will again be abysmal. If it's possible each year seems worse than the year before.

It's not the coach. It's not his salary. It's not the facilities. It's not the conference. It's the losing culture and it won't change. Other programs have found way more success in much less time with far few resources.

Coastal Carolina has only been D1 since 2015. Their coach is paid $ 850,000. Their facilities are small and less than stellar. But they are ranked 17th nationally. They are winners - like we are losers.

When you have a faithful pet that has lived a long life but is in pain and is suffering you let it go and put to sleep. You are so sad but you know it's for the best. UNLV football is that faithful pet.

Just let it go. Let's put it to sleep.

It’s too bad that DRF won’t be here to see her plans for basketball and football come to fruition. Her initial basketball hire got stolen away from us so we had to try to find someone to fill his well-accomplished shoes.

Now we have to hope that nobody will steal Arroyo away before he leads us to the promised land!

Reactions: lvrebalum2012
Oregon’s Coach Cristobal appears to be on the lead to be next USC coach. Maybe Arroyo made some sort of friend or impression on someone in Eugene. Hopefully for a cheese burger they take him back.

Oregon’s Coach Cristobal appears to be on the lead to be next USC coach. Maybe Arroyo made some sort of friend or impression on someone in Eugene. Hopefully for a cheese burger they take him back.
The next USC coach will be Urban Meyer

At some point I guess we'll hear something from the University president. Because the nightmares going to continue under his watch. And I can't imagine this is making him feel very good. I'm sure he's hosting people at the games and it's getting tired of explaining why this football team is so terrible. I mean the head coach does make 1.5 Million per season.

As much as we want it to, successful football is just not going to happen here.

We've had over forty years to get successful and we are still the worst team in college football. It would be different if there was occasional success. We know within the first 5 minutes of each season that we will again be abysmal. If it's possible each year seems worse than the year before.

It's not the coach. It's not his salary. It's not the facilities. It's not the conference. It's the losing culture and it won't change. Other programs have found way more success in much less time with far few resources.

Coastal Carolina has only been D1 since 2015. Their coach is paid $ 850,000. Their facilities are small and less than stellar. But they are ranked 17th nationally. They are winners - like we are losers.

When you have a faithful pet that has lived a long life but is in pain and is suffering you let it go and put to sleep. You are so sad but you know it's for the best. UNLV football is that faithful pet.

Just let it go. Let's put it to sleep.

I think we can agree, that killing the football program doesn't ensure or mean basketball would somehow gain in prominence.

So it begs the question, why do you care if they kill the program or not?

I'm asking sincerely.

If killing the football program paved the way to make basketball successful, I guess I could see the argument, but it doesn't.

So the easiest solution to cure your angst would be, don't watch.

Reactions: willlevi
I think we can agree, that killing the football program doesn't ensure or mean basketball would somehow gain in prominence.

So it begs the question, why do you care if they kill the program or not?

I'm asking sincerely.

If killing the football program paved the way to make basketball successful, I guess I could see the argument, but it doesn't.

So the easiest solution to cure your angst would be, don't watch.
It's a national laughingstock and an embarrassment to the University specifically and the Valley as a whole. It's the definition of incompetence.

Reduce the overall athletic budget by eliminating corresponding sports that have been required to balance the scholarships given for football.( Title 9) This should allow more $$ for basketball recruiting, coaches etc.

It's a national laughingstock and an embarrassment to the University specifically and the Valley as a whole. It's the definition of incompetence.

Reduce the overall athletic budget by eliminating corresponding sports that have been required to balance the scholarships given for football.( Title 9) This should allow more $$ for basketball recruiting, coaches etc.

How is it a national laughingstock? Or an embarrassment for the Valley as a whole.

Hardly anybody cares about the program locally and nationally they hardly know it exists.

Again, do you really think that in the current climate any excess funds possibly obtained by killing football would go directly to basketball? Or any other sports?

Again, not saying this to be an ass, but if it pains you so much, don't watch. It's an easy fix.

I don't get the 'embarrassment' thing. You don't coach or play for the team. You didn't drop a pass, or not have your team prepared. You personally have nothing to be embarrassed about.

You could just disconnect from the program.

Reactions: dcut03 and NSU67
I've been completely against folding the football program because I 've been concerned about the impact on Basketball. Where can we go and play Basketball and our other sports without football?

I've completely changed my mind after the start of this football season and I'm in favor of cutting football.

Some suggest we should keep football at a lower level. They are in favor of dropping sports to the FCS level and joining the Big Sky. This could work but I think football at Allegiant would look ridiculous with FCS teams.

There are other possible solutions than FCS.

1. Petition the MWC to allow us to stay without football. ( They allow Hawaii to play football only and they will be desperate to keep teams for fear of losses to AAC)

2. Petition the WCC to enter. Perhaps we can convince them to allow in a University without a religious affiliation. ( They will be anxious to replace BYU for more competition for Gonzaga)

3. Petition the WAC to allow us in without football. (they allow many teams to play individual sports)

4. Join the Big West.

All of these are poor solutions to someone who is a football fan. And dropping football stiffs people who put $$ in the football facility. But the ultimate poor solution is to keep going like we are. That involves pouring millions of dollars, annually, down a rathole that less that 1% of the local residents care about.

Just treat it like a cyst on your butt and cut it out. When it's done we'll feel better.
I actually want unlv to join wac in a sports, including football.

I genuinely think it would be good for unlv in both fb and mbb.

UNR is headed for another bowl game this year. These two universities are on the same Financial footing. At some point UNLV must be successful in football. Too many resources have been spent.

How is it a national laughingstock? Or an embarrassment for the Valley as a whole.

Hardly anybody cares about the program locally and nationally they hardly know it exists.

Again, do you really think that in the current climate any excess funds possibly obtained by killing football would go directly to basketball? Or any other sports?

Again, not saying this to be an ass, but if it pains you so much, don't watch. It's an easy fix.

I don't get the 'embarrassment' thing. You don't coach or play for the team. You didn't drop a pass, or not have your team prepared. You personally have nothing to be embarrassed about.

Yesterday, a bunch of ISU fans knew UNLV lost. And about 1 of every 1000 Nevadans knew UNLV lost.

"Hardly anybody cares about the program locally and nationally they hardly know it exists."

You're making my point.

"Hardly anybody cares about the program locally and nationally they hardly know it exists."

You're making my point.

No, actually I'm not.

You could say this about any number of G5 schools in football.

Nobody nationally cares about UAB, Ohio, Ball State, Louisiana Lafayette etc.

Hell Arkansas State had a great run of reaching bowl games and they were barely a blip on the radar for people on a national level.

UNLV dumps football you lose the following.

The 1 million dollar blood money games to go play the Ohio States of the world. The MWC tv deal isn't great, but that money goes away.

Attendance is already down for basketball. It doesn't get better moving to a potentially lesser conference.
Like I said, stop watching. Stop buying season tickets. It's an easy fix.

Basketball will suffer if we drop football. The is no other way around it.

Sure UNLV loses money with football, but will it this year? A good amount of seats were sold for this year. Some of the best numbers we have had in a while. Will it last? Not without winning. But we will have at least one body bag home game that will probably make some cash. And probably a bobdy bag road game too.

Look at football as a necessary evil at the very least. We may never have a program to be proud of, but a necessity.

We are not a laughingstock currently because no one cares. You know what would make us a laughinstock? being a large state university which already put a very good investment in the program at least in its facilities, then completely giving up on it.

Can you name me 1 large state school anywhere near the size of UNLV that doesn't have a football program?

There are several just in SoCal, a lot of the Big West which is where UNLV would end up. CSUF (Enrollment 40k) , CSULB (37K), UCSD (35K), CSUN (40K)

People think the Mack is empty now, imagine that being your first four conference home games.

Basketball will suffer if we drop football. The is no other way around it.

Sure UNLV loses money with football, but will it this year? A good amount of seats were sold for this year. Some of the best numbers we have had in a while. Will it last? Not without winning. But we will have at least one body bag home game that will probably make some cash. And probably a bobdy bag road game too.

Look at football as a necessary evil at the very least. We may never have a program to be proud of, but a necessity.

We are not a laughingstock currently because no one cares. You know what would make us a laughinstock? being a large state university which already put a very good investment in the program at least in its facilities, then completely giving up on it.

Can you name me 1 large state school anywhere near the size of UNLV that doesn't have a football program?

You don't put a 30 million dollar training facility up to repurpose it two years later.

Personally I'd rather kill the program than drop to FCS. If that were being discussed I'd end my season tickets.

It would be like our AHL affiliate the Silver Knights here. I go to a game or two, but I'm not really vested in the outcome.

Or the Aviators the A's affiliate. I go to games, but more to drink beer and watch a little baseball. I have no real rooting interest.

There are several just in SoCal, a lot of the Big West which is where UNLV would end up. CSUF (Enrollment 40k) , CSULB (37K), UCSD (35K), CSUN (40K)
Fair enough.

But how many of those schools built a state of the art practice facility for football?

Also California is a gigantic state with several big time state schools. UNLV is the biggest school in the state. Is there another largest school in any given state without a football program?

Most states have college football programs at several levels but they usually build football programs that primarily represents the community.

It is nice to see after all the hard work that the UNLV AD is being paid $800,000 per year for six years for turning the UNLV women's vollyeball team into a winner! UNLV basketball was a total fail and the new coach hasn't coached a game yet, UNLV football hire hasn't won a game as of yet in the second season, and that justified her becoming a multi-millionaire?

It is nice to see after all the hard work that the UNLV AD is being paid $800,000 per year for six years for turning the UNLV women's vollyeball team into a winner! UNLV basketball was a total fail and the new coach hasn't coached a game yet, UNLV football hire hasn't won a game as of yet in the second season, and that justified her becoming a multi-millionaire?
She getting the money because of minority status, being a woman, balancing UNLV’s budget, and floating her name out there enough for someone from the P5 would take a stab at her. Just ask CURRENT UNLV president Keith Whitfield

Know doubt. I was being very sarcastic, and have no question that her being a minority and a female fit the agenda for many different schools to diversify. While there are many great minority and female candidates out there, she is one that is being moved forward based on the Peter Principle!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT