ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Gary Anderson returning to Utah State?

Sam-I-am

UNLV Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
With Coach Matt Wells leaving for TT, what are the thoughts of the board on the return of Gary Anderson to Utah State?
Might be good for USU for him to return to the program he raised from the ashes. On the other hand, he was terrible at Oregon State and his style is quite a bit different than Matt Wells' style of football.

With Coach Matt Wells leaving for TT, what are the thoughts of the board on the return of Gary Anderson to Utah State?
Might be good for USU for him to return to the program he raised from the ashes. On the other hand, he was terrible at Oregon State and his style is quite a bit different than Matt Wells' style of football.

He was good there last time. Knows the conference. Is a good coach in general.

His tenure at Wisconsin was odd. Him leaving Oregon State like he did was a bad look.

I get the feeling he isn't the easiest guy to get along with.

Job he did at USU was great though.

He's instantly a top 3 - 4 coach in conference along with guys at SDSU, Boise and Fresno.

He was 20-7 at Wisconsin. Left there after an 11-3 season. Finished 2nd in the West year 1. Won the West year 2.

Never understood move or desire to take Oregon State job which is far more difficult.

A lot of Wiscy fans believe that Anderson was pushed out by AD Alvarez due to his horrid recruiting and the large number of top quality players he had transfer out. Those transfers and his two recruiting classes are blamed for the very bad season [comparatively] they just completed.

A lot of Wiscy fans believe that Anderson was pushed out by AD Alvarez due to his horrid recruiting and the large number of top quality players he had transfer out. Those transfers and his two recruiting classes are blamed for the very bad season [comparatively] they just completed.

They had three 10+ win seasons in a row since he left before this years 7-5.

I'd take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03
Other than happening with coach Kruger I would love for once 4 some other school to steal one of our head coaches 4 winning at a high clip or at least talk talked going to a power 5 conference

Anderson has also started to put together a nice staff. Mike Sanford (jr. not our old buddy sr.) will be the Offensive Coordinator. He fizzled out as a HC but was a hell of a recruiter and OC at Notre Dame and Boise.

Utah State loses a lot this year and they'll take a step back but it sucks we miss USU the next 2 years because GA will have them good again by the time we meet in 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT