ADVERTISEMENT

This will be a game changer UNLIKE no other.

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
No kid is going to go to any school with no chance of a bowl. It going to even be more with haves and have nots!

Wow, Dellenger is really clickbaiting his own article here.

The quoted text "Payouts from bowls could be directed to players instead of conferences" is a quote from the executive from bowl season when talking about how to get around NCAA rules for paying schools to pay players. NIL can't come from the school or conference as the system is worded right now. There is discussion of adding NIL payments in addition to normal conference payouts in order to get better participation (right now a lot of players have started defecting if they have draft stock, but adding NIL money to participants can make players more apt to risk it for the biscuit).

The bowl talking head did say that if conferences were willing to waive the payment entirely, they would be willing to redistribute it all to NIL for participants--but if conferences start doing that the cabooses at the end of the conferences are going to start squawking about it. I just don't see that happening--doing that would mean it would be wisest to reduce conference size and that doesn't fit what the TV market/packages trends where the college conferences get the bulk of their money from have been doing so far. But maybe that's something that the SEC and BIG could afford. It's an interesting thought process, but this is all conjecture and talking to a guy whose job is to come up with ideas to make sure bowls stay alive and relevant.

I think getting into a good bowl game will mean more money for players--but I'm honestly from the school that players should have been getting a much bigger piece of the pie from day 1. I think getting into a good conference will mean more NIL opportunities during the season. But it already held a big hidden monetary advantage for players. Now it's just coming out into the open.

Reactions: dcut03
Just another brick in the wall that ultimately will end college sports. How far can they go with tax payers and none athlete students subsidizing athletics (very few college actually make a profit in the athletic department) while athletes are getting rich? It is even going the direction that athletes may become employees based on current legal battles, so how far will it go before schools start to shut it down?

Didn’t read. Ain’t got time to watch one of these random bowl games that college football has become.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT