ADVERTISEMENT

This is what happens

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
When teams don't have cash or public interest programs do shut down. Interesting that nobody seems to know what will happen to their other sports.

Without an infusion of cash, this could be us in a few years.

UAB Shutting Down Football

It going to be a lot of programs in a few years. I'd be surprised if less than 20 schools drop football within 5 years, and a similar number drop down to FCS. It was hard to stay afloat before, but the big 5's money grab makes it damn near impossible.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

There have been way too many schools over the past 15-20 years that have made the jump from FCS to FBS. Then there are schools that started football programs from scratch, played a few years in FCS and then went to FBS. Football costs alot of $$$$$$$$. To have a quality program that can be successful on a consistent basis costs even more. There are way too many schools that think they can be the next Boise State, and ignore all the programs that made the jump to FBS and have had limited or no success at the FBS level.

As for UNLV, this is a pivotal time for the program. This town is not short on people with large sums of money. Having said that, it does not appear those with large sums of money have much interest in making large monetary investments in UNLV football. This is where it behooves UNLV to have an AD that can sell the program, not only to prospective coaches and recruits, but to financial boosters. I'm of the belief that UNLV can start both a Medical School and make the upgrades needed to have a competitive football program. By competitive, I mean a team that can win 6+ games at least 5-6 times per decade. In a good season, where they get some breaks, maybe go 8-4/9-3, win the MWC West and then the win the MWC Championship. In bad seasons, still find a way to win 4-5 games, and be competitive in several of the losses. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not expecting Boise State South here at UNLV. At the same time, no reason UNLV cannot be as good as UNR. Also several other teams in the MWC, but I'm using only UNR for this discussion

Beefing up the OOC schedule with games at Michigan, OSU, is a wise move from a business standpoint, and those are games kids will enjoy playing. The likelihood of winning is small, but anything can happen, especially early in the season. I also like home-home with UCLA and having BYU back on the schedule and scheduling big payout games at UM and OSU. UCLA and BYU at SBS ought to draw 30,000-35,000, even if the stadium is full of mostly fans from BYU or UCLA. And, these are games which have a chance to be picked up by TV, plus give UNLV an opportunity for a big OOC win. I also notice UNLV has home-home schedule with Iowa State for 2020 and 2021. That is a Big Twelve team that UNLV can beat. ISU got beat 34-14 in week 1 by FCS North Dakota State. In 2013, they lost at home to FCS Northern Iowa...In 2011, they beat UNI 20-19 scoring a TD with 40 seconds left. ISU last had a winning season in 2009 when they finished 7-6.

Going 1-3 in OOC games just means having to go 5-3 in MWC order to get to 6 wins. There is no reason that UNLV cannot be consistently better than Hawaii and San Jose St. There are 2 games that ought to be wins 6 or 7 times in 10 years. SDSU is nothing special, Reno is up and down, and so is Fresno. Go 1-2 in those 3 games, and you have 3 wins. This leaves 3 games against teams from Mountain Division. Win 2 and you have 6-6. Go 1-2 and you have 5-7. The next 2 seasons, UNLV will play Boise, CSU and Wyoming. Call me crazy, butthe only game of those 3 I'd say almost takes a miracle to win is Boise. I know CSU is having a really good season this year, but last year they finished 8-6/5-3. In 2012, 4-8/3-5 in 2011, 3-9/1-6, and in 2010, 3-9/2-6

Next years OOC schedule will be hard to go better than 1-3, as currently the road games are NIU and Michigan, and home game UCLA. Would imagine the 4th game will be an FCS opponent at home.. But, in 2016, there are games at CMU of the MAC and Idaho at home. CMU is a team UNLV ought to be able to beat. Definitely not a team to fear. And, if that is looked at as a long shot win, then UNLV has no business playing FBS football.

2017 has the game at OSU, at Idaho and Arkansas State at home. Again, no real reason to go worse than 2-1 in those 3 games. Arkansas State has a team that wins, but they also play in the weakest FBS Conference, the Sun Belt. BYU will be played in either 16 or 17 at home.

I rambled alot, and to the people that bothers, I apologize. It's time for the powers that be at UNLV to decide how serious they are about having a quality program. There is a new President about to come on board. The on campus stadium is dead for now, but that does not mean upgrades to practice facilities and SBS cannot happen. If going to have football simply for the sake of having football, and then put a coaching staff and players in a position where they have little chance to succeed, then might as well drop football.

UAB has challenges not faced by many other universities.

Last edited:
Oh, and they have a good coach.

This post was edited on 12/2 11:44 PM by Zeb_Reb

Last edited:
Sounds similar to the NV system with UNR grads.
Funny how we help get them into the MWC yet they don't seem to do much to assist us (as they also tried to block our medical school).

Originally posted by bcvegaspt:

Sounds similar to the NV system with UNR grads.
I was looking at the Board of Regents makeup recently... if I recall, there's only four Reno grads of the thirteen members of the BoR. A few aren't grads of either school, but majority of the BoR members are actually UNLV-related individuals.

I know that it's not usually like this, but that is how it is.

Originally posted by bcvegaspt:

I didn't research, Loco. I just felt like making a blanket statement there.

I do know that the UNR folks didn't support the medical school, though.
You're definitely right about that.

I know that the general makeup of the Board has traditionally been Reno grads. I'd guess that has changed as the balance of population and wealth has shifted more rapidly south.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT