ADVERTISEMENT

This Is Not Right

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
It's not right, it goes against the grain, it defies tradition & certainly not the way we do things at UNLV. What in the world is Coach Tony Sanchez thinking. Has Desiree given the okay to these foolish, unwise and unproven recruiting practices?

The 2018 season has not yet begun and CTS has the unmitigated gall to go out and recruit and secure players for the 2019 season. Is this wise? This should not be taking place until sometime after the first of the year at which time we can pick through the leftovers after the Big Dogs eat. And furthermore he is recruiting and securing commitments from 3 star players. We may risk infuriating some of the bigger schools that have larger budgets and more tradition than we do.

This is just wrong on so many levels! Not!!

I for one applaud our high school coach for bringing the energy and the never say never attitude to our beleaguerd football program. Football is the key to our overall success in all of our sports and certainly the path to a Power 5 Conference.

Can't wait to see who our 1'st home opponent is when the new stadium opens in 2020!

Go Rebels!

I for one applaud our high school coach for bringing the energy and the never say never attitude to our beleaguerd football program.

Can't wait to see who our 1'st home opponent is when the new stadium opens in 2020!

Great post!

Anybody who talks about Sanchez and says he can't coach a position is missing the point. Energy, enthusiasm, culture change. Everyone posting here knows this, but casual fans may not share our opinion/vision.

I thought Cal was locked as 2020/new stadium opponent? I could be misremembering.

It's not right, it goes against the grain, it defies tradition & certainly not the way we do things at UNLV. What in the world is Coach Tony Sanchez thinking. Has Desiree given the okay to these foolish, unwise and unproven recruiting practices?

The 2018 season has not yet begun and CTS has the unmitigated gall to go out and recruit and secure players for the 2019 season. Is this wise? This should not be taking place until sometime after the first of the year at which time we can pick through the leftovers after the Big Dogs eat. And furthermore he is recruiting and securing commitments from 3 star players. We may risk infuriating some of the bigger schools that have larger budgets and more tradition than we do.

This is just wrong on so many levels! Not!!

I for one applaud our high school coach for bringing the energy and the never say never attitude to our beleaguerd football program. Football is the key to our overall success in all of our sports and certainly the path to a Power 5 Conference.

Go Rebels!

Sweet. Monte likes it.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Great post!

Anybody who talks about Sanchez and says he can't coach a position is missing the point. Energy, enthusiasm, culture change. Everyone posting here knows this, but casual fans may not share our opinion/vision.

I thought Cal was locked as 2020/new stadium opponent? I could be misremembering.

Cal is our first game in the new stadium.

Love the enthusiasm I fully concur I will be a season ticket holder for a long time! Even living in SoCal I'll make the games in new stadium!

Flying HI 5 Rebel Bro. Being in Texas I will catch 1 home game and the ASU game. I will be the guy in red next to a blonde....

I think some were disappointed with two exceptionally horrible losses. Despite that the team has improved every year. Recruiting has obviously picked up. And even if Sanchez is still finding his way as a college coach UNLV can afford to be patient and let him learn a little on the job. It's not like we have been tearing things up prior to his arrival. Even if it's only one more win as long as our record is heading in the right direction who can really complain. Looking forward to the season.

I think some were disappointed with two exceptionally horrible losses. Despite that the team has improved every year. Recruiting has obviously picked up. And even if Sanchez is still finding his way as a college coach UNLV can afford to be patient and let him learn a little on the job. It's not like we have been tearing things up prior to his arrival. Even if it's only one more win as long as our record is heading in the right direction who can really complain. Looking forward to the season.
There was a lot to be disappointed about. Probably because we all saw “something” in this team yet when the opportunity arose, they crapped the bed. Their fate was in their hands and the blew EASY ones. Yet they could go down to Fresno and smack them around.

I think it’s going to be a really fun season, especially on the offensive side.

There was a lot to be disappointed about. Probably because we all saw “something” in this team yet when the opportunity arose, they crapped the bed. Their fate was in their hands and the blew EASY ones. Yet they could go down to Fresno and smack them around.

I think it’s going to be a really fun season, especially on the offensive side.
Hopefully they can smack them around for the 3rd year straight. If so it could be a real good year because outside of USC that is their best team on the schedule. I think they win an unexpected one (like this game or Utah St) and lose an unexpected one like Hawaii, but avoid the bad losses this year which is why I am thinking 7. Especially if we get even the slightest of improvement from that absolute sieve of a defense.

Hopefully they can smack them around for the 3rd year straight. If so it could be a real good year because outside of USC that is their best team on the schedule. I think they win an unexpected one (like this game or Utah St) and lose an unexpected one like Hawaii, but avoid the bad losses this year which is why I am thinking 7. Especially if we get even the slightest of improvement from that absolute sieve of a defense.
I really think it’s a bad over/under on the season. Of course, with the lack of depth, you’re a key injury from going under. Without that sort of thing, I think seven is about right but I’m leaning towards eight. The ONLY thing that doesn’t make me want to stick with eight is that man walked on the moon the last time the Rebels won eight.

Ok, we can take it offline instead of working things out here. Yeah, TE and I plan on going, maybe a couple of more people. Working on some details now. We will prob fly in Thursday and leave Sunday. All drinks are on you, you’re a doctor. @drmontehorne_a_yahoo.com

Agreed. We can deal with this closer to the game. Remember....I will be the guy in red next to a good looking blonde.

I really think it’s a bad over/under on the season. Of course, with the lack of depth, you’re a key injury from going under. Without that sort of thing, I think seven is about right but I’m leaning towards eight. The ONLY thing that doesn’t make me want to stick with eight is that man walked on the moon the last time the Rebels won eight.
We won I think 11 under Hyde (though vacated). I believe Knapp won 8 or 9 once or twice in the 70s?

We won I think 11 under Hyde (though vacated). I believe Knapp won 8 or 9 once or twice in the 70s?
I think we technically forfeited all those Hyde games. Yeah, there's been a few years here and there, JRob had an 8-5 season as well. But not many schools have more sub 9 year years than the Rebels, I'm guessing.

But I really am getting pumped for FB.

I think we technically forfeited all those Hyde games. Yeah, there's been a few years here and there, JRob had an 8-5 season as well. But not many schools have more sub 9 year years than the Rebels, I'm guessing.

But I really am getting pumped for FB.
Forgot about JRob but I agree hard pressed to find a team more consistently bad than us. Thinking and hoping that is about to change.

One thing that Sanchez has done better than any coach in my memory is build depth (at least offensively) We are deep at every position on the offensive side, even QB this year (so it seems).

Recruiting on the defensive side has been much slower, though it is picking up. It looks like the new DC is catching up.

Still some decent young talent and speed on the defensive side. Hopefuflly better scheme will make this team better since it seems like we played too soft and were way too predicable under Baer.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
One thing that Sanchez has done better than any coach in my memory is build depth (at least offensively) We are deep at every position on the offensive side, even QB this year (so it seems).

Recruiting on the defensive side has been much slower, though it is picking up. It looks like the new DC is catching up.

Still some decent young talent and speed on the defensive side. Hopefuflly better scheme will make this team better since it seems like we played too soft and were way too predicable under Baer.

I totally agree. The prior D schemes were horrible. backs were so far of the receivers we virtually gave them first down yardage. No one flying around, changing sets, pressuring the QB etc.

One thing that Sanchez has done better than any coach in my memory is build depth (at least offensively) We are deep at every position on the offensive side, even QB this year (so it seems)...
Yet our AD reduced the contract extensions for the coaches on offense to just one year rather than remain at two. In light of how nearly all of the FBS schools have gone to two year contracts for their assistant coaches and three or more at many of the Power 5 programs, that's simply a major FAIL. That's just asking for your best coaches to move on and then for the best candidates you want to replace them to say "No thanks".

Either she doesn't know what she's doing or she's setting up terminations at the end of this season or it's both.

Yet our AD reduced the contract extensions for the coaches on offense to just one year rather than remain at two. In light of how nearly all of the FBS schools have gone to two year contracts for their assistant coaches and three or more at many of the Power 5 programs, that's simply a major FAIL. That's just asking for your best coaches to move on and then for the best candidates you want to replace them to say "No thanks".

Either she doesn't know what she's doing or she's setting up terminations at the end of this season or it's both.
Good insight. Thank you.

Pistol - you had a gem of a post with the great sarcasm. Should have played the sarcasm straight and go ubertroll. So I'll have to dock you half-a-star.

Great post.

I totally agree. The prior D schemes were horrible. backs were so far of the receivers we virtually gave them first down yardage. No one flying around, changing sets, pressuring the QB etc.
You got that right I've been watching last year's games on youtube I can't tell you how many 3rd and longs saw us sit back and let guys sit in the zone to complete 3rd and 15 - 20's it was insane. Watch some of these games like you were back watching film in high school/college and you'll see some overt bad scheming and technique all around.

At least Tony's contract was extended in the normal course but that's not too unusual. The unusual thing happened with the assistant coaches.
Perhaps it’s because there’s no money in the budget? I mean, the school doesn’t have money.

You’ll never retain assistants that way though. To a man, stability is important. As important as pay. One year deals, their eyes are going to be peeled for more stability.

At least with assistant coaches your job stability mostly rides on the head coach. That an the productivity of your unit.

Having longer contracts helps of course when a HC gets fired with more guaranteed money going your way.

Still it sucks, especially If we are behind the curve with the industry standard. My guess Joe is right. We just don't have the money.

Hopeful for a good season, one that gets a few more butts in the seats.

Perhaps it’s because there’s no money in the budget? I mean, the school doesn’t have money.

You’ll never retain assistants that way though. To a man, stability is important. As important as pay. One year deals, their eyes are going to be peeled for more stability.
Except money doesn't really matter if you keep the assistant coach.In fact, you save money

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT