ADVERTISEMENT

The Wood quandry

rebelx

qwerty
May 29, 2001
The deep recesses of my mind
twitter.com
I've come to a conclusion that to have CW on the team, and have him play his game, his way, is not ideal and probably factored in to our offensive woes.

I've rewatched snippets of our past games, and I've notice that we "flatten" the offense out a lot, and run stuff out of a flex type offense when teams play us in man.

What happens, though, with Wood, is he doesn't always go where the defense leads them. He uses the offense, for what it can be used for...isolating himself at the top of the offense. Many times it was by design, to get him and his guy up there, and have Chris break him down....but in situations where Wood should be around the basket, or at least rolling to it, he was drifting up top, almost forcing the play to come to him.

However, when you see a team like BYU run similar offensive plays...their bigs get in and out and don't crowd things up too much. Guys like Haws, have (or had) opportunities to create offense without running into their 7 footer, who is refusing to roll to the basket.

If Chris could just understand that his perimeter game is needed, to keep defenses honest, and to take advantage of mismatches, etc...but just as important is that he should be doing everything to vacate and create space for others....in order for our scorers to do what they can do. I think McCaw, Cornish and hopefully Vaughn can be a deadly threat. All three can shoot, all three can get to the rim....but none of them can do their damage with a 7' 4" wingspan standing in the way.

I do think that Chris could some damage at the NBA level, and I do think there's teams out there that are chomping at the bit to get a guy with that length and skill.....

so the real QUANDRY is, from the team and staff's perspective, can there be enough growth by Chris to give this team what IT needs, not just what he wants? Is it time to just wish him well, and congratulate him on a bright NBA future, and to make us proud at the next level...and move forward?

This post was edited on 3/20 1:57 PM by rebelx

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News