ADVERTISEMENT

The Facility

No real work yet. Should be 30 days or so.
That's just great. Is there anything else that the admin can do to hurt recruiting right now? :angry: Maybe announce another delay in the facilities and the stadium before February. [sick]

Have none of you worked construction before....on government property? This is how EVERY project starts. It would have been nice for it to start last fall, but that was on the boosters who pledged money and then got cold feet. Getting a loan on a project where the owner is a government body, especially one as disfunctional as the regents, takes a lot of time.

The project is on already developed land, that just makes this even more difficult. There are baseball fields, softball fields, tennis courts and classrooms all around with power, water and sewer. This is no simple task to just bring in some back-hos and just start moving dirt.

Last edited:
Thank you Reagan, all the prep work has to begin, before the building goes up, it's happening, Complex should be up early next year.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Have none of you worked construction before....on government property? This is how EVERY project starts.....
That's simply not true, particularly when the facility was set to begin construction over a year ago, all the soil testing, permits and easements were granted over a year ago and all of the utilities were marked, mapped and scheduled for shut off and rerouting over a year ago. We are not doing the excavation, utility rerouting and footing work right now because the admin has been dilatory, at best, in funding and setting up the bonds and loans for construction to go forward.
And, yes, I come from a heavy construction family. I worked my way through high school, undergrad and law school in heavy construction, mostly including government property. For the last 30 years I've worked for large commercial contractors, been an arbitrator on over two hundred contract delay claims, served as a mediator on over a hundred construction delay claims in Southern Nevada, including 5 different buildings on the UNLV campus and I have served as a Special Master on over 50 large scale construction defect cases in Southern Nevada.

That's simply not true, particularly when the facility was set to begin construction over a year ago, all the soil testing, permits and easements were granted over a year ago and all of the utilities were marked, mapped and scheduled for shut off and rerouting over a year ago. We are not doing the excavation, utility rerouting and footing work right now because the admin has been dilatory, at best, in funding and setting up the bonds and loans for construction to go forward.
And, yes, I come from a heavy construction family. I worked my way through high school, undergrad and law school in heavy construction, mostly including government property. For the last 30 years I've worked for large commercial contractors, been an arbitrator on over two hundred contract delay claims, served as a mediator on over a hundred construction delay claims in Southern Nevada, including 5 different buildings on the UNLV campus and I have served as a Special Master on over 50 large scale construction defect cases in Southern Nevada.
Yeah baby! You go Sam!

As to the Stadium, Sam will agree with me that I have never seen a billion dollar project come together so quickly. I really don't know how many people can really appreciate the timeline involved , from land sale to groundbreaking. The speed of the Army Corps of Engineers approval for flood control viaduct relocation was mind boggling. They definitely had their ducks in a row. Money prevents obstruction, throw around enough of it and things happen. Labor is still an issue, the advantage the stadium has is being first off the blocks, follow on projects will suffer the shortage.

Last edited:
As to the Stadium, Sam will agree with me that I have never seen a billion dollar project come together so quickly. I really don't know how many people can really appreciate the timeline involved , feom land sale to groundbreaking. The speed of he Army Corps of Engineers approval for flood control viaduct relocation was mind boggling. They definitely had their ducks in a row.
I strongly agree with you. Sheldon caused a delay of a year with his antics but all of the remaining sequencing between the professionals has gone on at an admirable rate.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Sam - if all of the permits were approved over a year ago, then they would have been forced to go back and begin the submittal process all over again because geotech, civil, structural, etc have a shelf life of one year if construction has not started. This likely required them to go back and re-submit the plans for review and revised County and utility signatures. I will just be happy once they actually break ground with the site grading and utility work.

Sam - if all of the permits were approved over a year ago, then they would have been forced to go back and begin the submittal process all over again because geotech, civil, structural, etc have a shelf life of one year if construction has not started. This likely required them to go back and re-submit the plans for review and revised County and utility signatures. I will just be happy once they actually break ground with the site grading and utility work.
They were resubmitted and approved again 5 months ago.

I'm sorry if I came off too strong and condescending. Please accept my humble apology. I'm just so pissed off at this that I ....I really need to just settle down.
I actually meant “then you would know what a nightmare it is.”

At least they will not have another delay due to not starting construction before the permits run out again.
I don't know if we can count on that. They needed to get going this month at 100 mph or they will expire. Appears more and more like our AD's ego is more about her and that she wants football to fail. I hope I'm wrong but the evidence just keeps building up.

I don't know if we can count on that. They needed to get going this month at 100 mph or they will expire. Appears more and more like our AD's ego is more about her and that she wants football to fail. I hope I'm wrong but the evidence just keeps building up.

I hope your wrong but, is there any evidence to support your comments about the AD ?

Reactions: Sam-I-am
What makes you even say that? She was brought into UNLV with an expertise in running college football programs. So far I see her doing a lot of positive things for all of UNLV Athletics. What do you see her doing that makes you think she wants UNLV FB to fail.

I do not see that. Let's at least take a wait and see posture...:sunglasses:

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I hope your wrong but, is there any evidence to support your comments about the AD ?
By how slow she is with everything, by how cheap we had to be in the new hires and by how little we hear from her in support of the team. Once again, I hope I'm wrong but the feeling is very strong.

Reactions: rebelkt
She was brought into UNLV with an expertise in running college football programs.... .
That was the reasoning given to us but she really doesn't have the resume to support it. She went to VT when it was already in good shape and had been for decades. I honestly hope that my feelings are wrong but I've been through this dance several times before with new ADs taking over. We'll see.

At least she has a resume. TKM had no resume and just used her past as an athlete at UNLV, and a long term job running a minor bowl game that was handed to her to leverage a job she didn't deserve.

The delay is not Athletic Department. Delay was legislative, financing and legal. Permits were ready January of 17. Tony, Football Foundation and AD's past and present were always full steam ahead. Permits ate state issued and did not expire. The delay in starting is due to purchasing red tape caused by the legislature in 2015. UNLV tried to fix it in Carson City. Passed in senate easily and due to one assemblyman tying it up in committee it died at the legislative closing. I suspect that is why a certain high level administrator resigned ubruptly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT