ADVERTISEMENT

The debate

T.E. Parker

Publisher
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2002
on whether Dave Rice should be the man for the UNLV coaching gig has grown to epic proportions over the weekend.The radio shows, the newspapers, the boosters, the fans, etc, etc.... Should Rice be on his way out?

If he is on his way out after this season, it's an absolute joke. This young group was put into play on purpose. It wasn't to win the national title this year, it was to put the building blocks in place for the future.

Graney writes an article about short-term thinking, what could be more short-term thinking than letting Rice go and allowing some other coach to come in and have everything in place to win at a high level. That would be a disgrace. And I loved how Grg said basically the same thing to Taylor Bern. Rice needs and this roster need support at this current time, not being questioned.

So, a new coach comes in and has success with this talented group and bolts. That leaves us with nothing long term. You can bank on that. It leaves us grasping for straws again.

What Rice lacked in his first three seasons as the head coach was stability and consistency from the roster. Now, he attempts to try and put that into place for the good of the program and people want to run him. For what? Ben Howland. Really?

I don't believe in Rice because he's a nice guy. I believe in Rice because he has the same vision that all of us have - getting UNLV back to the top of the mountain. Sure, it hasn't happened over night, but this team is closer than it has been in many, many years.

I said it at the end of the San Diego State game. This is the best I've felt about the program after a subpar season that I can remember. In fact, I felt better at the end of this season than I've felt after relatively successful seasons.

Besides Rashad Vaughn, this roster was put into play to win over the long term and give UNLV the stability it needs. Being a community divided on the coach just helps undermine what Rice could accomplish here.

Now, if he can't keep this roster together and we end up having to hit the reset button again, then we can talk after next year. After this year, though, it's a joke if Rice isn't retained.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News