ADVERTISEMENT

The day after a game

Barely any conversation on here.

Nobody is surprised that we lost since most, at least in their heads, assumed that we would.

No anger. No emotion. Just apathy.
Pretty much. And that has been for how many seasons? And how many seasons in a row with hoops?

Unless you are heavily vested in UNLV Golf or I don’t know, their club boxing or hockey ... UNLV has taken any faith, devotion and support they’ve had and given a return of nothing, unless embarrassment and a loss of pride counts for something.

It really has been a bad investment on the fans’ part. Really bad. Yeah, I know ... fan means support no matter what, thick and thin, teams owe the fans nothing .... but we are talking a very bad football program since it’s inception, one of the worst four or five in the history of the game.... and basketball, we are talking a once dominant pride of the city that fell and at least eventually recovered to respectability that has now hit the worst stretch in history.

The fans that remain have put in far, far, far more than they’ve received. Should be some give and take but UNLV just takes .... UNLV cannot or should not be surprised about the apathy and drying fan support.

Nobody is surprised that we lost since most, at least in their heads, assumed that we would.

What is there to talk about at this point.

You could copy and paste all the threads and responses from last season and they would be fitting.

Anybody want to make an argument that things are better or that they see improvement?

Defense is allowing 1 less point per game this year.

Average margin of defeat is 24 points.

Last season 5 double digit losses.

This season 5 double digit losses with 5 games to play.

Offensive points per game is down.

Total offense last year UNLV was 64th this year 94th, huge regression.

120 in total defense last season this year 103.

There isn't one single metric or stat that points to any significant improvement.

It's year five. There should be something to point to in regards to improvement.

Uptick in talent/recruiting? Sure I can agree with that. But isn't that a further indictment on Coach Sanchez? Despite increased talent the results are eerily similar to Hauck in year 5.

Not being a hater but.

Statistics don't always tell the whole story, but they rarely lie either.

Last edited:
I dont love or hate UNLV football - I nothing it - so I will wait a few more weeks until I can be disappointed by basketball

Reactions: billd99s
Pretty much. And that has been for how many seasons? And how many seasons in a row with hoops?

Unless you are heavily vested in UNLV Golf or I don’t know, their club boxing or hockey ... UNLV has taken any faith, devotion and support they’ve had and given a return of nothing, unless embarrassment and a loss of pride counts for something.

It really has been a bad investment on the fans’ part. Really bad. Yeah, I know ... fan means support no matter what, thick and thin, teams owe the fans nothing .... but we are talking a very bad football program since it’s inception, one of the worst four or five in the history of the game.... and basketball, we are talking a once dominant pride of the city that fell and at least eventually recovered to respectability that has now hit the worst stretch in history.

The fans that remain have put in far, far, far more than they’ve received. Should be some give and take but UNLV just takes .... UNLV cannot or should not be surprised about the apathy and drying fan support.

I'll be there again this Saturday. Flag in hand. Cheering every first down.

But I don't blame people for their apathy any more.

You have to give people something to get excited about.

This isn't a case of fairweather fans. Fairweather fans pop up when a team does well and disappear when things go bad. There hasn't been enough good to create fairweather fans.

Now we what to see if the AD is of any use and comes up with a real coach, or if they go on the cheap again. If they don't spend enough money to put UNLV at the top of the MWC, and go for the type of coach they need to put seats in the new stadium, they will not see me next season. Somehow I broke down and bought tickets for this season based on the deal in 2020, but they have shown me nothing that is worth watching. Vandy was just another false positive!

Reactions: 220reb
Why am I seeing ads for BYUtv on this Rivals site? It looks terrible by the way.

What comes first the first Woman President of the USA or UNLV Football going 11-1?

I'll be there again this Saturday. Flag in hand. Cheering every first down.

But I don't blame people for their apathy any more.

You have to give people something to get excited about.

This isn't a case of fairweather fans. Fairweather fans pop up when a team does well and disappear when things go bad. There hasn't been enough good to create fairweather fans.
I used to believe differently, if you stop, you are fairweather. That’s the end of it.

I thought that maybe 15 years ago when I was 18 years in. After this much time more.... I no longer blame fans. They/we’ve been abused in the sense that we’ve been neglected and taken advantage of. They relied on undying loyalty. They got it, still do from me, you, a few others, but that’s a rarity and a standard that isn’t fair to hold all fans to. If fans grab free tickets to go to games, they’re fans. They are still expending more energy in going and showing interest, both which can be argued are putting in more than they are getting back.

It’s tough right now, been tough the past few seasons. And even though Rice didn’t do enough, UNLV still had recognition locally, regionally and even nationally through recruiting and wins in OOC - and UNLV was still a brand. But even that has dissipated into nothing.

It didn’t have to be his way, it really didn’t. Bad decisions, zero urgency, no vision, no balls, no money.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I used to believe differently, if you stop, you are fairweather. That’s the end of it.

I thought that maybe 15 years ago when I was 18 years in. After this much time more.... I no longer blame fans. They/we’ve been abused in the sense that we’ve been neglected and taken advantage of. They relied on undying loyalty. They got it, still do from me, you, a few others, but that’s a rarity and a standard that isn’t fair to hold all fans to. If fans grab free tickets to go to games, they’re fans. They are still expending more energy in going and showing interest, both which can be argued are putting in more than they are getting back.

It’s tough right now, been tough the past few seasons. And even though Rice didn’t do enough, UNLV still had recognition locally, regionally and even nationally through recruiting and wins in OOC - and UNLV was still a brand. But even that has dissipated into nothing.

It didn’t have to be his way, it really didn’t. Bad decisions, zero urgency, no vision, no balls, no money.

Whatever Joe, just shut up and take it.

I don't want to hear about the thousands of dollars you've spent on season tickets, RAF donations.

I don't want to hear a peep out of fans buying a couple extra season tickets to give away hoping to get some more people interested and out to games.

How dare you think you are entitled to an opinion. How dare you vent frustration on a message board. What, because you've attended every game for 20+ years. How dare you sir.

You and the rest of these so called fans shut up and take it.

Just keep sending them checks though.

Whatever Joe, just shut up and take it.

I don't want to hear about the thousands of dollars you've spent on season tickets, RAF donations.

I don't want to hear a peep out of fans buying a couple extra season tickets to give away hoping to get some more people interested and out to games.

How dare you think you are entitled to an opinion. How dare you vent frustration on a message board. What, because you've attended every game for 20+ years. How dare you sir.

You and the rest of these so called fans shut up and take it.

Just keep sending them checks though.
That’s pretty much the attitude of UNLV and some self righteous fans.

Too much garbage for too long, if they don’t want to pay attention to the gate and the local insignificance... I don’t know what to say.

People just tend to tune out.

Rather than be disappointed, they just tune out. For a lot of fans its like being 12 games out at the All Star break in baseball. You check box scores/standings. But for all intents and purposes the season is over. If they go on a streak you tune back in.

But you've seen enough to know how it probably ends..

After FSU has a score of 49 points, I tuned out. I still don't know what the final score was, because I really don't care to look.

After FSU has a score of 49 points, I tuned out. I still don't know what the final score was, because I really don't care to look.

It got worse...

You're one of the most diehard folks on these boards. Been around forever. Pretty positive.

When you or fans like you start tuning out it tells you all you need to know about how a season is going..

It got worse...

You're one of the most diehard folks on these boards. Been around forever. Pretty positive.

When you or fans like you start tuning out it tells you all you need to know about how a season is going..
I don’t know when it lost my attention. But it was sooner than that. I didn’t shut it off, but it went from forefront to a background distraction. It was probably one touchdown after the fumble for seven. Because, you know, it’s a movie I’ve seen too many times and it’s not a good movie that’s worth watching more than once.

Every year I say "this is the year" WRONG. And, I keep coming back. It is clear that TONY is gone. I heard he filled out an application at Burger King.

Every year I say "this is the year" WRONG. And, I keep coming back. It is clear that TONY is gone. I heard he filled out an application at Burger King.

Uncalled for sir...

Guy has done everything he thought was right to get it done. Hasn't worked out.

Just like Hauck and Sanford before him. Nobody comes here looking to set their career back 5 years..

I don’t know when it lost my attention. But it was sooner than that. I didn’t shut it off, but it went from forefront to a background distraction. It was probably one touchdown after the fumble for seven. Because, you know, it’s a movie I’ve seen too many times and it’s not a good movie that’s worth watching more than once.

This has happened every single year under Sanchez. There are one or two points in the year where UNLV wins a game and you think, 'Ok, got a little momentum going figured some things out' or a winnable game is on the schedule that could reignite bowl chances. Without fail UNLV has gotten blown out of the building in that game or suffered a head scratching loss.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

UNLV football has shown absolutely no progress from his first season until this season. While they improved a little in years 2 and 3, this year has turned into blowout city while programs like Hawaii and unr have shown improvement with new coaches.

UNLV football has shown absolutely no progress from his first season until this season. While they improved a little in years 2 and 3, this year has turned into blowout city while programs like Hawaii and unr have shown improvement with new coaches.

Yep.

Years 1-3 there was a gradual progression of wins. It looked like they were poised to turn the corner. Seemed like Sanchez might be on to something.

Year four regression. But not just in win total, they got worse defensively. Margin of defeat grew. Same issues were continuing to pop up.

There were a lot of red flags last year that this might be heading back in the wrong direction.

When “a little” improvement is still finishing below .500 - it shows you just how low the standard is. And that the program has fallen short of any reasonable standard in five years says a lot.

When “a little” improvement is still finishing below .500 - it shows you just how low the standard is. And that the program has fallen short of any reasonable standard in five years says a lot.

I think there was reason for some optimism. 3 to 4 to 5 wins showed some steady progression. Years 2 and 3 both had a couple close losses that cost bowl bids.

It felt like it was progressing slowly but steadily.

But when there is regression in year 4 when the roster has been nearly flipped there are warning signs. When you actually get worse in year four on defense which was already the weakest side of the ball there is reason for concerns. When your team is actually less competitive in year four vs conference opponents its a huge red flag.

Right now vs just conference opponents UNLV is losing by an average of 30 points.

Avg score through three conference games this year is 49-19.

Simply put, its not nearly good enough by any metric.

Last edited:

And to go back to the original post/point of thread.

I'd rather have an angry fan base than an apathetic one.

Angry may be annoying, but at least it means people care enough to be angry.

Apathetic. Means they don't care at all.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

This is a decidedly apathetic fanbase...myself included. However, I AM angry at the university for letting me get to the point of apathy.

Does that count?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
This is a decidedly apathetic fanbase...myself included. However, I AM angry at the university for letting me get to the point of apathy.

Does that count?
Absolutely. That’s where anger should be directed. No coach comes here and tries to lose.

UNLV needs to be held responsible for hires/fires, their lack of commitment to athletics, their willingness to settle for the status quo.

They want you to solely blame the coaches. But how many coaches do we have to go through, how long do we have to suck before people say, hmmmmm, what’s the common denominator … maybe this is systemic?

I would love to see Vanderbilt play Fresno. Would they get blown out like we did? Vandy loses to us and bounces back for a great win. We beat Vandy and got rolled.

We looked like a "normal" football team against Vandy. Then we collapse against Fresno. Hard to blame the AD or President for that lack of consistency.

But to be honest, I don't know who or what to blame. Though in the end, Sanchez owns it.

I’m pissed! This year was the first time ever I bought season tickets for two. But I lost faith in our AD with the botched basketball hire.

I’m just glad they are home this week. Two consecutive games on the road like that can be hard on everyone there.

UNLV got a 500 million dollar gift from the tourists as part of Raider deal. We need to get a coordinator from ACC or SEC as head coach. At least they can recognize talent or at least coach it up. I don't blame the athletes because I believe they are trying but coaches have to look in the mirror and leave if they are in the wrong place i.e. Sanchez. Great high school coach but can't recruit to Sam Boyd nor could anyone else. I don't think he can recruit to Raiders stadium either. We have a chance to bring in talented recruiter/head coach and I HOPE they come from a high level conference. Otz is because all of his time was in Big 12 or Pac 12 until he became head coach.

you can say the football hire is botched, but how can you say the basketball hire is botched before a single game is played?
I agree. Otz has Big 12 and Pac 12 experience. He has a great chance to succeed with his talented staff and his enthusiasm. At least they might be in shape. We will see if this group can shoot, rebound and defend.

UNLV got a 500 million dollar gift from the tourists as part of Raider deal. We need to get a coordinator from ACC or SEC as head coach. At least they can recognize talent or at least coach it up. I don't blame the athletes because I believe they are trying but coaches have to look in the mirror and leave if they are in the wrong place i.e. Sanchez. Great high school coach but can't recruit to Sam Boyd nor could anyone else. I don't think he can recruit to Raiders stadium either. We have a chance to bring in talented recruiter/head coach and I HOPE they come from a high level conference. Otz is because all of his time was in Big 12 or Pac 12 until he became head coach.

If a change needs to be made (I know, I know, most think the writing is on the wall and it's a forgone conclusion. But until he falls out of possible bowl eligibility he's still the coach, so I'll continue saying 'if') you would think you would want to look for a coach with regional ties, that has some familiarity with recruiting the neighboring areas.

When dealing with UNLV its better not to speak in absolutes, because you just never know.

I’m pissed! This year was the first time ever I bought season tickets for two. But I lost faith in our AD with the botched basketball hire.

A lot of people are frustrated. Fans have every right to be frustrated. As long as they avoid personal attacks on coaches and especially players I see no issue with people venting..It's what fans do.

There are a growing number of options for people to spend their entertainment dollars now. Knights, Raiders are coming. UNLV basketball, Aviators etc. And while those seasons don't overlap, lots of folks have to budget. They can only pick one or two things to buy season tickets for.

There are around 5k season ticket holders who have spent a lot of money over the years supporting a program that has disappointed far more times than not.

As big of an achievement as the facility is for this program, it doesn't attract new fans. People don't buy tickets to look at a facility. Its long term impact on the program will be a positive, no doubt. But it does absolutely nothing in the short term to galvanize or excite new fans or this city. The new stadium helps create some buzz. UNLV football season tickets are extremely cheap in comparison to a lot of schools. But you still need to win games or at least be competitive. Folks just stop going after awhile when their team routinely gets beaten by double digits. I wish people would continue to go, and ve supportive and get loud and create a cool game experience, but I get why they stop coming.

If this season ends with three or four or even five wins, the only new or additional fans you will get for next season will be those that are curious and want to see the new stadium. That is unless you make a coaching change. Even then it might not be a hire that creates much buzz.

I've been going religiously for years now. Trust me I get the frustration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT