ADVERTISEMENT

Suddenly

After UNLV wins today and with the Hawaii loss, they will now show UNLV back as a slight favorite again. I still believe UNLV is going to win 7 or more games.

This team looks like a disappointment waiting to happen, they can't even put away Prairie View.. 5 wins if we are lucky!

It isn't so much UNLV looked awful as that they just shut down after they got a big lead over PV. Coach needs to learn not to take the foot of the pedal. Next week will tell us how good or bad UNLV really is when they play Ark. State.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
If we want to get to 6 wins, obviously winning next week is a huge bonus. But i still don’t think it’s do-or-die.

If we finish the non-conference 2-2, we still would need 4 wins to get there. IMO, 3 wins are still looking highly probable: UNM, SJSU, and Air Force. And I don’t see another game that is a locked-in loss. SDSU will be tough, and road games at Hawaii and USU will not be easy, but every game is winnable. We’ll be alright.

Back to Arkansas State. Obviously I want a win. But if nothing else, I want to see a 1-score game that’s right down to the wire. I feel like UNLV has a history of laying an egg in these winnable road non-conference games. I’m thinking of games at Washington State, Central Michigan, even Idaho a few years back. Games that look winnable or competitive on paper, but end up with us getting the doors blown off. Don’t do that.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
That was a sloppy win. The offense ran well but did little else. Special teams were bad (not Hauck bad, but still), and the defense gave up some big plays. If PVAM wasn't so error prone, they would have given us a game. They had better straighten some things out if they want to compete next week.

I am surprised at how bad our passing has been. The only throws I saw Armani hit in the first half were rollouts to the rb and te. I do think our defense is better then years past. Lots of miscues in the first 1/2 by PV but we shut down their run game.

I am surprised at how bad our passing has been. The only throws I saw Armani hit in the first half were rollouts to the rb and te. I do think our defense is better then years past. Lots of miscues in the first 1/2 by PV but we shut down their run game.
It certainly wasn’t a performance that left you warm and fuzzy. But, it’s 2-1 and a chance....

They’ve got a ton of things to clean up and at some point, Armani has to start hitting his guys. Last night was windy, some sailed... but he’s been far from crisp with his passing.

I have been vocal about needing a QB that can pass. Done for now!

What we have is a vastly improved defense that is improving week by week, a great running attack, better players at all positions, improving special teams, excellent offensive line, & a QB that will complete about 50% of his passes, probably won’t have many 200 yd passing games but he can run with the best.

Like Jagger says “you can’t always get what you want” but we are getting what we need and that is W’s

Go Rebels!

Reactions: CRhodes1983
I think this is just Barney Cotton's offense. The Nebraska roots are strong. The QB will be a big part of the running game and will run like a back more than a QB. I don't really like it, but it comes as part of the deal.

Also I think the offense won't try too hard to be terribly balanced. Passing will be secondary.

Cotton is a good OC and knows what he is doing, but he will run the offense he wants to run. I personally would like more passing and more emphasis on developing the passing game.

I didnt realize that UNLV football was at such a level these days that we can complain about a 46-17 win.
Noting that we didn’t play well is merely making a simple observation. Not complaining. I’m happy we are 2-1, want to see 3-1 then 4-1 after UNM. Would be great.

But I don’t know whether you saw the game or not but UNLV really didn’t play well overall. For spurts they were ok. The opponent was awful. So awful that they botched 3 or 4 long snaps that led to scores. And one under center at our two yard line or something. They weren’t going to beat us without those mistakes, they were just an awful team. UNLV didn’t stand out as looking good in victory.

Noting that we didn’t play well is merely making a simple observation. Not complaining. I’m happy we are 2-1, want to see 3-1 then 4-1 after UNM. Would be great.

But I don’t know whether you saw the game or not but UNLV really didn’t play well overall. For spurts they were ok. The opponent was awful. So awful that they botched 3 or 4 long snaps that led to scores. And one under center at our two yard line or something. They weren’t going to beat us
without those mistakes, they were just an awful team. UNLV didn’t stand out as looking good in victory.

No I get that, I didnt see the game, I get the eyeball test, and I get the opponent was horrible as was the opponent the week before. But this is UNLV, Ill take a win anyway it comes, there are a lot of guys on the team that lost to Howard as a 50 point dog last year. My mindset is similar to yours, we are 2-1, lets see this team get to 3-1 and not worry about win number 4, 5, 6 or 7, until win number 3 happens. Again not seeing the game, I dont know anything other than what was written here, so hopefully this game ends up the most uninspired, poorly played game of the year.

No I get that, I didnt see the game, I get the eyeball test, and I get the opponent was horrible as was the opponent the week before. But this is UNLV, Ill take a win anyway it comes, there are a lot of guys on the team that lost to Howard as a 50 point dog last year. My mindset is similar to yours, we are 2-1, lets see this team get to 3-1 and not worry about win number 4, 5, 6 or 7, until win number 3 happens. Again not seeing the game, I dont know anything other than what was written here, so hopefully this game ends up the most uninspired, poorly played game of the year.
PVAM was definitely geared to stop our run attack and even though we got yards, most of them were tougher yards. No huge gains that we’ve seen previously. Unfortunately, we didn’t open up much with the pass.

Still a lot to like about this team, but more than anything - even more than defense, which surprises me - my biggest worry is Armani’s arm.

Prairie View partially beat themselves with constant botched snaps on the punt that spotted a good portion of points on the board. The running game was good but running back wise the team wasn't dominant.
Offensively the team's leading reciever has 83 yards through 3 games.
Rogers is has a 47% completion rate and averages 115 yards passing per game coming off of the two easiest teams on the schedule.
With the schedule getting tougher the rest of the way, the last two games opens the question mark of beating teams that force the team to take to the air.
I understand why people have the 'what was that' question mark post game. I recognize this is an offense more similiar to option Nebraska rather than an Urban Meyer style balanced attack. If they can run, they can win.

Well said, Will. They keyed on Lexxo, and he really had to earn those 125 yards. 30 carries is too many IMO and Williams or Campbell should have gotten into the mix a little more. But, when you have a 30+ point lead at halftime, how prudent would it have been to work on the passing game? Remember the old saying (Woody Hayes, I think) "three things happen when you pass and two are bad."

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I get the argument that we haven't had to pass the last 2 games, so why start when you have a big lead. Running keeps the clock moving, plus is it's working.

Armani had to pass week one, which looks to be a less formidable opponent each week. Armani's numbers weren't great, but I did like what I saw in decision making and protecting the ball with his throws. He also had some key drops. Since then we've gotten Woods back, and Collins looks to be more of a threat.

Anyway, I'd like to see a balanced attack because if we have one our offense can be very very good. We will need the pass because teams will just load up the box. PV did and our running game was slowed significantly. That won't work against better teams.

I took this as a game Sanchez wasn't tipping any hats for Arkansas State. Armani's accuracy has been lackluster to say the least, but we ran a variety of 4 plays on Saturday. Get out of that game with a win and prepare for the game which I see as a must win. I know some think this game is not a must win, but it is. We could lose this week and still end up with 6 wins, but I'd rather be sitting at 3-1 with 8 games to win 3. It would put the probability of making a bowl to 85%.

SJSU and UNM are bad teams and Air Force is down even further this season. Every other game on the schedule will be UNLV as an underdog or very slight favorite. I don't like those odds. This is a tough game with an experienced QB. I also hope our O-Line can open up some holes.

I get the argument that we haven't had to pass the last 2 games, so why start when you have a big lead. Running keeps the clock moving, plus is it's working.

Armani had to pass week one, which looks to be a less formidable opponent each week. Armani's numbers weren't great, but I did like what I saw in decision making and protecting the ball with his throws. He also had some key drops. Since then we've gotten Woods back, and Collins looks to be more of a threat.

Anyway, I'd like to see a balanced attack because if we have one our offense can be very very good. We will need the pass because teams will just load up the box. PV did and our running game was slowed significantly. That won't work against better teams.

314 yards on the ground is not bad...[cheers]

I really liked the look with Thomas and Campbell in at the same time. Then you had the true triple threat for running. I also liked Rogers's aggressiveness running the ball against PV. He really punished a few tacklers. It was the most aggressive he has run the ball this year. How bad are the O-line injuries the Rebels had against PV?

I really liked the look with Thomas and Campbell in at the same time. Then you had the true triple threat for running. I also liked Rogers's aggressiveness running the ball against PV. He really punished a few tacklers. It was the most aggressive he has run the ball this year. How bad are the O-line injuries the Rebels had against PV?
I still want to see Charles Williams more. I think he’s going to have a couple 75+ yard games for us.

Reactions: khokhol8 and dcut03
I still want to see Charles Williams more. I think he’s going to have a couple 75+ yard games for us.
Once Lex got over 25 carries, I was getting anxious. Especially the game was in hand. You have Williams and Owens who both are capable. Lex is a cut above for sure, but don't need to run him to the ground in these types of games.

I have no issue with a run dominant offense. I am worried that we cannot concert 3rd and longs when it matters.

Lots of good commentary/points above. Good discussion.

Barney can't, nor should he, disguise who he is: he's a run first (and second, and third) kind of OC, and that includes using the QB. No problem with that. However, there will be times when we absolutely have to be able to throw the ball effectively, and that doesn't mean waiting til someone is standing still, wide open, for Armani to just play toss-and-catch with him. He has to be able to throw accurately with anticipation. I expect Ark St. to insist AR beats them with his arm, and they will give him every opportunity as they sell out to stop the run. To that end, what the hell is our QB coach up to besides collecting a paycheck? Is O'Dell to Sanchez like Phenicie was to Hauck? I mean, seriously. I'm sure Armani has expectations of playing on Sundays, but if he doesn't develop into some sort of efficient passer (not just a thrower) then he needs to start think what playing TE or LB will be like.

Reactions: dcut03
A couple years ago I talked about O'dells seemingly inability to develope our QBs. Might be time for a change at that position?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT