ADVERTISEMENT

So you're saying there's still a small chance

I’m just amazed that we would even be listed as an option. Vegas sports market would be the only reason I can think as an explanation.
No doubt the massive sports growth in the city is the major driver, showing it’s not about on field success. UNLV is pretty good at riding coattails, if you are going to ride them, ride them to the finish line.

I really think everyone in the MWC is stuck for the next 2 years. After the current media deal ends then everyone is free to move without having to pay the exit fee.

I really think everyone in the MWC is stuck for the next 2 years. After the current media deal ends then everyone is free to move without having to pay the exit fee.
Is there an exit fee if there's a mass exodus... lets say whats left of Pac 12 comes for Boise, Fresno, SDSU, CSU or San Jose St... I know it's hypothetical because none of those institutions fit in current Pac 12 culture, but... then UNLV gets itching to go and has Big 12 calling... that dissolves conference as it's currently constructed and no exit fee... rest of the other schools might bail similarly for next best offer such as CUSA for UNM and say Utah St... if the Pac 12 raids MW to "save" itself, I can't see anyone paying an exit fee...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Is there an exit fee if there's a mass exodus... lets say whats left of Pac 12 comes for Boise, Fresno, SDSU, CSU or San Jose St... I know it's hypothetical because none of those institutions fit in current Pac 12 culture, but... then UNLV gets itching to go and has Big 12 calling... that dissolves conference as it's currently constructed and no exit fee... rest of the other schools might bail similarly for next best offer such as CUSA for UNM and say Utah St... if the Pac 12 raids MW to "save" itself, I can't see anyone paying an exit fee...
I believe it would take a majority vote to dissolve the conference. Remember that the MWC has a new commissioner and she is not like Craig Thompson. Let's see what develops in the next 72 hours. I expect 3 more Pac schools to Bolt to the Big 12. Panic has started and no one wants to be left behind.

Which is probably good for us since we aren't the best target now. Football and basketball at least appear on the upswing. Two good seasons in both sports might change that narrative.

I’m just amazed that we would even be listed as an option. Vegas sports market would be the only reason I can think as an explanation.
No doubt. A conference is going to have to take the gamble and hope with the added resources that UNLV grows into something more.

No doubt. A conference is going to have to take the gamble and hope with the added resources that UNLV grows into something more.
UNLV has everything a P5 program needs... facilities are top flight.. it's not a gamble and the reality of adding more $$ and national prominence even if it's at the bottom of the standings is enough to improve... there are several P5 schools that aren't good year in and year out in both major Sports...

UNLV has everything a P5 program needs... facilities are top flight.. it's not a gamble and the reality of adding more $$ and national prominence even if it's at the bottom of the standings is enough to improve... there are several P5 schools that aren't good year in and year out in both major Sports...
It is most certainly a gamble.

It does have a lot of things going for it, I agree there.

But what it doesn't have is a reliable share of it's market, with a long history of pretty poor attendance in football and poor attendance in basketball in recent history.

Of course mediocre at best results in both sports.

It is certainly put up or shut up time for everyone involved. Hopefully both major sports step up in a big way this season, which I think is very possible.

If they do, I certainly hope that fans show up to see it.

It is very possible that we are too late. Hopefully big decisions aren't made this offseason. Hell even breakout season next season may not move the needle enough. But recency bias is a thing, and just showing bigger conferences that "it could work" here is hopefully enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRebel
Sources tell me recent agreements with Kansas and UW are attempts to create new rivalries with expectation that we will be conference foes soon enough...
Source- me, because I have an interest in both locations..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT