ADVERTISEMENT

So what do we think??

Awful lot of hype after 1 game so either Houston is way over valued, or the metrics we performed at vs a P4 school really impressed. I know we were on a lot of darkhorse discussion vs favorites given that were expected to compete for the MWC title this year, but the amount of prognostications already politicking towards us getting that invite is really fun to see. If all else, its building a written resume of excitement for the program, bringing eyeballs to games, and hopefully that intrigues or friends in the Big 12 that were being serious finally about wanting to move up to the big leagues...

You know what they say, any press is a good press. I have no idea why the Post is writing about CFB?

Reactions: RebelScrub
I think we will have a better picture of our playoff chances after the Kansas game. The Houston game was a nice win but, I need to see more evidence on our offensive abilities. Call me gun shy after following the Rebels for 5 decades.
Definitely. If we can beat Kansas or keep it to a 1 score game, and then follow that up by beating Fresno and Syracuse, I think were probably getting top 25 votes and the hype train will still be there. Its fun to talk about after week 1, but its a lot like the "Bracketology" stuff in November. fun, but useless.

I think we will have a better picture of our playoff chances after the Kansas game. The Houston game was a nice win but, I need to see more evidence on our offensive abilities. Call me gun shy after following the Rebels for 5 decades.

I don't think the Houston or KU games were must win or oh no we lost games.

I'm of the belief 10 wins against this schedule would probably be enough to be ranked at years end.

CFP worthy? Don't know...A few other teams in G5 could post similiar win totals.

Im like you, excited but doing my best to contain it after two decades of disappointment

I don't think the Houston or KU games were must win or oh no we lost games.

I'm of the belief 10 wins against this schedule would probably be enough to be ranked at years end.

CFP worthy? Don't know...A few other teams in G5 could post similiar win totals.

Im like you, excited but doing my best to contain it after two decades of disappointment
Similar win totals yes, but strength of schedule in UNLV's favor

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Just hope the team stays focused, lots of chatter for a program that’s been in uncharted waters. I believe Odom will keep it real with them, but agree Kansas will be more of a telling game. Lots of season left gotta let it play out.

Just hope the team stays focused, lots of chatter for a program that’s been in uncharted waters. I believe Odom will keep it real with them, but agree Kansas will be more of a telling game. Lots of season left gotta let it play out.
Wit all the decades of losing, it is about time that UNLV football gets some good Karma as payback, and we are due a lot of payback!

Odom is the real deal and will keep our guys focused. If anything it's us Rebel fans that are in uncharted waters. I mean when I look at our defense I can't believe it. It's usually after the first game I'm mother f'king someone. Now I've got to find some new words.

Odom is the real deal and will keep our guys focused. If anything it's us Rebel fans that are in uncharted waters. I mean when I look at our defense I can't believe it. It's usually after the first game I'm mother f'king someone. Now I've got to find some new words.
Same mother f'king as before, but now it is in regards to what Jackson Woodard did to the offense! 😁
While he may have been bench before coming to UNLV, I think he is good enough to start for any team in the country. I wonder how many other players are at major programs that need that one chance to show how they are as good as anyone else on the team?

My logical analysis..
2 weeks ago: UCONN in talks with Big 12 to join conference...
Last week: UNLV spanks Big 12 Houston on the road
Today: Big 12 pauses talks with UCONN
Me: Big 12 paused talks because UNLV showed how serious they are for football which trumps better basketball brand in realignment ...UNLV to Big 12..

My logical analysis..
2 weeks ago: UCONN in talks with Big 12 to join conference...
Last week: UNLV spanks Big 12 Houston on the road
Today: Big 12 pauses talks with UCONN
Me: Big 12 paused talks because UNLV showed how serious they are for football which trumps better basketball brand in realignment ...UNLV to Big 12..

I'm mean logistically it makes way more sense.

Would UNLV be better off in a P4 or competing for a playoff spot as a G5? Certainly the $$ would be better in a P4, but if UNLV cannot legitimately compete in P4 we’d never sniff the playoffs. Would UNLV continue to climb the rankings in a P4 and put us in legitimate contention? No question the school/city oozes potential, but enough?

Would UNLV be better off in a P4 or competing for a playoff spot as a G5? Certainly the $$ would be better in a P4, but if UNLV cannot legitimately compete in P4 we’d never sniff the playoffs. Would UNLV continue to climb the rankings in a P4 and put us in legitimate contention? No question the school/city oozes potential, but enough?
Why is this even a real question... the P4 is the only way to go period. There is no in future in G5. Eventually the P4s close rank and become their own league/association and if you're not in that group, you're not going to have financial viability.

Why is this even a real question... the P4 is the only way to go period. There is no in future in G5. Eventually the P4s close rank and become their own league/association and if you're not in that group, you're not going to have financial viability.
Seems absolute, Masked. Are you sure? What happens if the MWC make their own Power conference? The missives like Boise UNLV, SDSU, SJSU, Fresno made a pitch to the power be like Amazon or ESPN or TNT? You see now?

Seems absolute, Masked. Are you sure? What happens if the MWC make their own Power conference? The missives like Boise UNLV, SDSU, SJSU, Fresno made a pitch to the power be like Amazon or ESPN or TNT? You see now?
Do you think any MWC still need the Big12 or any other conference affiliation ? If the MWC get a contract with TNT. Man, that is huge....

Last edited:
There is absolutely no reason for the markets that would be in whatever new media deal to expect more than the 31.7 million dollars Big 12 teams are getting paid, which is also likely to increase after next deal negotiation.. so yeah, there won't be another Power conference, it's a fallacy we try and convince ourselves will happen because it's more likely we remain in the best of the leftovers and we'll take the crumbs that we can get. Why would those networks pay slightly more than what we're currently getting.. where's the interest coming from that'll draw the eyes and advertisers? Outside Vegas and San Diego, there are no premier cities and we don't have the historic alliances of Big 12/Big 10/SEC/ACC with their name recognitions...that's why

Why would the Big 12 want UNLV> the stadium has always been the key to expansion. I also see a UNLV and SDSU as a possible expansion target because of SDSU basketball rather than U Conn, They all want the stadium and some kind of profit sharing for visiting tickets sales. (Grand Canyon just joined the WCC along with Seattle U. This puts a lot of pressure on WSU and OSU to do something quickly.) Big 12 could make two divisions and cut down on travel and build regional rivalries back up: ie. BYU, Arizona, ASU, UNLV, SDSU, Colorado, WSU and OSU. Problem for UNLV and others is partial payouts to join league for a time like U of W with BIG. Increased football and basketball revenues for these teams would offset salary increases and related costs of ancillary athletics. OSU and WSU could easily absorb less renumeration to join Big 12 but who wants to fly to Spokane and Portland to bus to Corvallis.

Las Vegas is a destination and much more desirable market than Corvallis or Pullman. The only reason those 2 programs aren't G5s anyways was regional affiliation with Oregon and UW and that's gone. And realistically if the Big 12 had wanted them, they'd already be there and that would be that.. there are ways to avoid payouts and even then, what's 1 years TV revenue as a payout when you get 10 more of those plus added on the backend...

Las Vegas is a destination and much more desirable market than Corvallis or Pullman. The only reason those 2 programs aren't G5s anyways was regional affiliation with Oregon and UW and that's gone. And realistically if the Big 12 had wanted them, they'd already be there and that would be that.. there are ways to avoid payouts and even then, what's 1 years TV revenue as a payout when you get 10 more of those plus added on the backend...
I agree that those schools were left out for a reason, but i wouldn't say that it is obvious that UNLV would be a better option than the Pac 2 for Big 12 expansion.
Such a great big market with a ton of buzz going into the season following our best season in decades.
Still less than 200k watching our season opener against a Big 12 opponent. That happens to be against a team in a top 5 market. Sure A&M was on, but that shouldn't matter, right? How many of those fans watching were actually in Vegas or UNLV fans.
Then to follow up with 25k for our home opener after a big win. Where 7250 were freebies given to students with maybe 20k butts in actual seats.
It is more than our market, it is market saturation. Which is poor. OSU and WAZZU are small markets, but still big state schools with a history of fan support. I haven't seen the numbers but I would guess they have had more eyes on their games than ours, in a year where you expect their fans to bail.
Also for the right price, Vegas is open without UNLV. They already took away the LV bowl from our conference. The Big10 and SEC had a record setting opening game on our home field.

I agree that those schools were left out for a reason, but i wouldn't say that it is obvious that UNLV would be a better option than the Pac 2 for Big 12 expansion.
Such a great big market with a ton of buzz going into the season following our best season in decades.
Still less than 200k watching our season opener against a Big 12 opponent. That happens to be against a team in a top 5 market. Sure A&M was on, but that shouldn't matter, right? How many of those fans watching were actually in Vegas or UNLV fans.
Then to follow up with 25k for our home opener after a big win. Where 7250 were freebies given to students with maybe 20k butts in actual seats.
It is more than our market, it is market saturation. Which is poor. OSU and WAZZU are small markets, but still big state schools with a history of fan support. I haven't seen the numbers but I would guess they have had more eyes on their games than ours, in a year where you expect their fans to bail.
Also for the right price, Vegas is open without UNLV. They already took away the LV bowl from our conference. The Big10 and SEC had a record setting opening game on our home field.
The B12 isn't going to add anyone right now. Any money they give to new schools come from their media bucket of money. The other schools aren't going to take less just to give a new school an opportunity. Not OSU, WSU, SDSU, nor UNLV unless the media companies see some value there. I'm not seeing it myself. As much as I would love to go to P4 we need to fix our basketball program to offer them something they might want.

I was rooting for NMSU & Sanchez, but it seems that Sanchez hasn't been able to fix what plagued his UNLV teams...start fast, no/bad halftime adjustments, 3rd qtr stall, 4th qtr fade. But it's early still. Really hope he does well
I think he will get the time and figure things out.

The B12 isn't going to add anyone right now. Any money they give to new schools come from their media bucket of money. The other schools aren't going to take less just to give a new school an opportunity. Not OSU, WSU, SDSU, nor UNLV unless the media companies see some value there. I'm not seeing it myself. As much as I would love to go to P4 we need to fix our basketball program to offer them something they might want.
Improving basketball will help when it comes to the Big 12, since they do care about that.
But i don't think our basketball team is keeping is out. Not completely.Being NIT level team would be good enough in terms of quality. It is way better than what TCU was when they joined.
Especially if we beat Kansas this week.
They need to improve football really.
What is keeping us out right now is fan interest. Eyeballs on TVs and home attendance in both sports.
I sure hope we beat Kansas. And I hope we have a number by our name afterward leading into the Fresno game. I think that could get more fan's attention.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT