ADVERTISEMENT

So Armani is back practicing...

If he can play, I think CTS plays him if for no other reason than to save his job.

Reactions: studed
I am encouraged by this, but I would keep him sitting for the Fresno game and bring him in for the San Diego St game if possible. Maybe winning the last three games could save his job, though with our defense playing like they have the last 4 weeks, it won't matter.

I must be crazy but in my mind Gillium is a better QB than Armani. Armani cannot pass. Should be moved to a different position. Could care less about his scrambling prowess

No need to rush him back, but if he is healthy he should play.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing Oblad or even Grayson play.

This new rule about redshirts makes us potentially a lot deeper, hopefully that helps.

Sanchez can not imagine Armani getting injured again because Sanchez lacks imagination.

Unless Armani is gonna play defense, it won’t matter.

I must be crazy but in my mind Gillium is a better QB than Armani. Armani cannot pass. Should be moved to a different position. Could care less about his scrambling prowess
Max throws the ball much better which means his receivers are going to be more engaged. Armani can’t hit a bull in the ass with a bowl of rice. And he’s quick to run. You’re going to lose receivers’ attention that way and may not get the downfield blocks you hope for.

But Armani is a huge threat with his legs and can be valuable to the offense as a whole. But until Armani can stick in the pocket, go through a couple in the progression and deliver a catchable ball, I think Max is the better overall option.

Still, offense isn’t the biggest part of the problem. We need to add about 5 NFL pro-bowlers to keep a team below 40 points.

Reactions: colonelreb
Armani makes the run game better, just by his presence. His throwing was bad this season, but he has looked better in the past.

Perhaps his time on the sideline has helped? Who knows. Maybe they can play 2 or more QBs?

There is a discussion that really needs to take place in the off season or sooner between CTS & Armani that needs to center on whether or not he wants to play on Sundays. If he does he needs to be realistic and accept that he won’t make it as a QB. The big schools all wanted him as a receiver and they were right.

Armani is a hell of an athlete and a really impressive physical specimen that could be an incredible wide out that no corner could possibly cover. Too big and too strong. Add 20-30 lbs to that frame and it would be scary.

With Armani and Tyleek running routes Oblad or Gilliam would have a field day plus Presley and Tjeckman would not have as much attention given to them. I’m with Born Rebel Red & Spilotro in that Max is a better option than Armani at QB. Offense isn’t our problem, defense is and I am hoping to see a bunch of freshmen on that side of the ball this Saturday.

“Can’t hit a bull in the ass with a bowl of rice”. Never heard that one before and I am not really sure how hard it would be to do that. Might actually be more difficult than completing a pass but I get your point. LOL

There is a discussion that really needs to take place in the off season or sooner between CTS & Armani that needs to center on whether or not he wants to play on Sundays. If he does he needs to be realistic and accept that he won’t make it as a QB. The big schools all wanted him as a receiver and they were right.

Armani is a hell of an athlete and a really impressive physical specimen that could be an incredible wide out that no corner could possibly cover. Too big and too strong. Add 20-30 lbs to that frame and it would be scary.

With Armani and Tyleek running routes Oblad or Gilliam would have a field day plus Presley and Tjeckman would not have as much attention given to them. I’m with Born Rebel Red & Spilotro in that Max is a better option than Armani at QB. Offense isn’t our problem, defense is and I am hoping to see a bunch of freshmen on that side of the ball this Saturday.

“Can’t hit a bull in the ass with a bowl of rice”. Never heard that one before and I am not really sure how hard it would be to do that. Might actually be more difficult than completing a pass but I get your point. LOL
It’s a Hank-ism I picked up over the years. (Hank is the very old man with a patch over his eye that loves basketball. Unfortunately, he decided to stop attending stuff at UNLV like practices and games, but was a fixture there since the Tark days). I think he first uttered it to me talking about Lou A’s free throw shooting, even though he loved Lou.

It’s a Hank-ism I picked up over the years. (Hank is the very old man with a patch over his eye that loves basketball. Unfortunately, he decided to stop attending stuff at UNLV like practices and games, but was a fixture there since the Tark days). I think he first uttered it to me talking about Lou A’s free throw shooting, even though he loved Lou.

It's mine now and I plan to conceal where I heard it. :D

You just watch him go 0-4 blow outs. NM and SJSU the cellar of the MW last year AR beats both those teams had lead against Utah State until he was concussed and when he left we got spanked.
Are you not watching:
We were down 36 points to NM until he put up a score in the 4th quarter.
We were down 42-7 to Utah State before they called the dogs off in the 4 quarter
Shut out against Air Force in second half until the last drive in 4th quarter
SJSU 3 picks a pick six and field goal 10 points of his poor throws. Worst team in MWC 0-7
How are you scouting this guy! What are you basing this off what are you seeing that I'm not. He can complete 5-7 yd slants over the middle and out patterns that get picked I'm open minded but give me facts why is he better than AR.

Reactions: RebelMan5000

You just watch him go 0-4 blow outs. NM and SJSU the cellar of the MW last year AR beats both those teams had lead against Utah State until he was concussed and when he left we got spanked.
Are you not watching:
We were down 42-7 to Utah State before they called the dogs off in the 4 quarter
SJSU 3 picks a pick six and field goal 10 points of his poor throws. Worst team in MWC 0-7
How are you scouting this guy! What are you basing this off what are you seeing that I'm not. He can complete 5-7 yd slants over the middle and out patterns that get picked I'm open minded but give me facts why is he better than AR.

Just like Spilotro says “He can’t hit a bull in the ass with a bowl of rice”. He doesn’t do the one thing qb’s are supposed to do that separates them from the other guys on the team. Do you know what that might be? It’s called throwing accurate passes.

The gist of my post was more about whether or not he wants to play on Sundays and what a great athlete he is and what a future NFL career he could have at wide receiver.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Just like Spilotro says “He can’t hit a bull in the ass with a bowl of rice”. He doesn’t do the one thing qb’s are supposed to do that separates them from the other guys on the team. Do you know what that might be? It’s called throwing accurate passes.

The gist of my post was more about whether or not he wants to play on Sundays and what a great athlete he is and what a future NFL career he could have at wide receiver.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
No ruffles I just asked what do you see in Gilliam that makes him better option than AR. His accuracy, he just got picked three times last game out. I gave you examples that his work comes after the game is no longer competitive.
I’m with Born Rebel Red & Spilotro in that Max is a better option than Armani at QB.

The other guy who thinks Armani coming back will change UNLVs fortunes is going to get fired in a couple weeks.

Got picked 3 times... correct... but still threw for more yards in one game than AR all season. AR can only complete 45%??? Not saying Gillium is great just a better qb.. And anyway, it’s all on the defense now. Still sucking after 3 plus Sanchez years. Somehow, we have got to get better defensively.

Got picked 3 times... correct... but still threw for more yards in one game than AR all season. AR can only complete 45%??? Not saying Gillium is great just a better qb.. And anyway, it’s all on the defense now. Still sucking after 3 plus Sanchez years. Somehow, we have got to get better defensively.
Did you notice the reason he is throwing for so many yards is because we're behind by so much. Defenses are playing back.
Have you not noticed our defense held everyone in check while Armani was playing no one scored more than 24 points but as soon as Max comes in the defense has given up 59,50,50, and 41. Do you think once we became a passing team and we gave up on time of possession and a commitment to run that the defense was being asked too much. Did you notice how many 3 and outs we go through as a passing team. As I told you before his work comes in garbage time and the idea is not who has the best stats; You play to win the game!
You had one of the best running duos in Div 1. and you want to trade that in for below average play, 4 blowouts, because he's completing 54% percent of his passes and averages 105 yards per game to AR 41% and 92 yards per game.
Did you not notice the SJSU, NM, and Air Force only win in conference is against us.

Quarterback more than any other position has an overall effect on a teams performance based on what I've seen so far each playing 4 games I have to give the nod to AR to me it's not even close.

Last edited:
Have you not noticed our defense held everyone in check while Armani was playing no one scored more than 24 points but as soon as Max comes in the defense has given up 59,50,50, and 41.

What is more likely? That the defense hates Max, or that we started the MWC portion of the schedule where we face coaches who know our personnel, tendencies and signals?

Reactions: willlevi
I don't want to crap on Max, I'll let Rico do it, lol.

But he does have deficiencies. The only time he looked decent start to finish was Air Force, who single covered our WRs all day long in man with little help. Our guys were winning one on one battles consistently and getting wide open. That hasn't really happened all year.

He has looked better with the small stuff/short passes. Mainly we haven't seen much from Armani for whatever reason. Probably since he faces a loaded box even more and there is a lot of guys around the line of scrimmage.

I have no doubt that Armani would put up similar passing numbers if he were facing defenses with at 40 point cushion.

But I don't think it would get that bad since we would have better ball control and time of possession with an improved rushing attack.

Interesting to see how this year plays out with personnel (not the games themselves since we are likely done with wins this year)

Reactions: c-reb-run
What is more likely? That the defense hates Max, or that we started the MWC portion of the schedule where we face coaches who know our personnel, tendencies and signals?
A coach needs time to cycle his players through. What’s most disconcerting to me is that a very bad defense has become worse or near the same over those four years. So they’re his guys, but they are still among the National worst and have been the entire time. That’s an extreme and there’s no way to pretty that up.

Offensively, yeah, we have issues, but it’s not where the primary problem lies. If you are going to be one of the worst defenses in the country week after week, year after year, you aren’t going to win.

So why has there been zero improvement over four years? That’s a major problem.

A coach needs time to cycle his players through. What’s most disconcerting to me is that a very bad defense has become worse or near the same over those four years. So they’re his guys, but they are still among the National worst and have been the entire time. That’s an extreme and there’s no way to pretty that up.

Offensively, yeah, we have issues, but it’s not where the primary problem lies. If you are going to be one of the worst defenses in the country week after week, year after year, you aren’t going to win.

So why has there been zero improvement over four years? That’s a major problem.

Agreed. With a great coach you WILL see immediate significant improvement. TS is NOT a great coach. His game time decisions are horrific at times and mediocre the rest of the time. Our discipline and intensity is very poor. TS can recruit and fund raise. I'll give him that. That is not enough. Time for a real deal coach or more of the same. Look at coaching salaries. Our play is consistant with the other bottom feeder schools and will remain so until or unless. :cool2:

Are you not watching:
Let's not forget that we had the ball more with Armani and the clock runs on running plays. This uses up time and keeps the other team from having the ball and scoring. Would like to see the stats from Armani time when the defense played less.

Let's not forget that we had the ball more with Armani and the clock runs on running plays. This uses up time and keeps the other team from having the ball and scoring. Would like to see the stats from Armani time when the defense played less.

There isn't anything definitive in the stats. In both of Armani's wins, we also won time of possession. In both of his losses, we lost.

In two of Max's losses, we actually won time of possession. In the UTAH St massacre, we won TOP with UNLV at 33:26 and UTAH St at 26:34 - only PVAM had a larger margin.

CTS'f official statement is that Armani Rogers is the 2nd string quarterback this week and will possibly be the starter again next week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT