ADVERTISEMENT

Season Prediction?

Mojo702

Lottery Pick
Feb 2, 2004
Looked at the schedule and figured this might be a good time for the yearly prediction thread.

I think if we played up to our potential that we could legitimately go 8-4. However, with that being said we are likely to drop a game or two that we probably shouldn't so I think we will go 6-6 and make a bowl. It's another step in the right direction.

I'm just hoping we don't lose those 4th quarter leads we are famous for.

What's your take?

“Should be” wins:
- vs. UTEP
- vs. Prairie View
- vs. Air Force
- vs. UNM

Likely Losses:
- @ USC
- @ SDSU

Toss Ups:
- @ Arkansas State
- @ Utah State
- @ SJSU
- vs. Fresno
- @ Hawaii
- vs. UNR

I have a feeling we keep the upward trend in season wins. But this year, we go from a one-win increase to 2 games, finishing 7-5. If I had to pick which “toss up” games we win, I’d say Reno, San Jose, and Hawaii.

We SHOULD be able to win 8 but the Rebs always seem to blow games they should win so I went with 6.

I can't wait until we are consistently battling SDSU & BSU in games and championships. Gonna be exciting!

I was thinking 7 or 8 wins before I read about the scrimmage last night. Apparently Rogers is still having trouble connecting with the receivers and even though CTS says he’s not worried because he has been having good practices, I am worried. We used to say there are some guys that are great practice players but not so good in games. Rogers may be one of them.

We need a QB that can pass more than we need one that can run. Lots of good receivers and plenty of guys that can run on this team. We don’t want to see what happened last year happen again which was the OC not openeing up the playbook to protect Rogers. He couldn’t make the throws over the middle or touch passes to guys coming out of the backfield.

When Stanton came in he was making the throws and the playbook was opened up quite a bit. I think CTS may have a bit of a man crush on Rogers and I just hope it doesn’t get in the way of bringing someone else in should the need arise.

QB’s need to be able to throw the ball!

If you look back on last season, the running game struggled without Rogers. The threat of Rogers legs allows the running backs to have more space to operate, so you likely won't see a different starter. Hopefully he improves as a passer but the the team is styled more as an option based offense around Rogers.
Also, every other passer on the roster has never thrown a collegiate pass so its a question mark how effective they would be in game action.
Rogers 2019 edition will need to be a more complete player to keep the job but the 2018 edition should be OK with decent growth. Just avoiding the turnover bug.

Pistol, your comment regarding Armani that "We used to say there are some guys that are great practice players but not so good in games. Rogers may be one of them." is an argument against pulling him instead of in favor of pulling him as the QB. Last year, in his first season playing as a freshman, he was picked as the freshman player of the year which is a statement by the conference that they believe he was the biggest "game day" impact freshman in the entire league, which speaks for itself. Now you are looking at a practice scrimmage and stating he didn't look good in practice so he may not be a good game time player?

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Actually CTS stated in the paper that Armani has been looking good in practice not me as I haven’t seen one practice this year due to the closed practices. The report in the paper by writers, not me stated that Armani was having trouble hitting his receivers. Not my statement but the writers. CTS as much as confirmed that reporting by saying that he is not concerned as he thinks it is just a mechanical issue.

If you saw any games last year you know full well that much of the playbook was scrapped due to Armani’s inability to hit open receivers. Yes he is a great runner. Yes he made some great throws at times but 50% is 50% and that is not acceptable for a QB that has the receivers and protection that he had last year.

That said I hope Armani & the Rebels do well but if the same issues exist this year I hope someone else is given the opportunity to step up. There is nothing quite like a QB that can spot open receivers and hit them.

Actually CTS stated in the paper that Armani has been looking good in practice not me as I haven’t seen one practice this year due to the closed practices. The report in the paper by writers, not me stated that Armani was having trouble hitting his receivers. Not my statement but the writers. CTS as much as confirmed that reporting by saying that he is not concerned as he thinks it is just a mechanical issue.

If you saw any games last year you know full well that much of the playbook was scrapped due to Armani’s inability to hit open receivers. Yes he is a great runner. Yes he made some great throws at times but 50% is 50% and that is not acceptable for a QB that has the receivers and protection that he had last year.

That said I hope Armani & the Rebels do well but if the same issues exist this year I hope someone else is given the opportunity to step up. There is nothing quite like a QB that can spot open receivers and hit them.
He was more miss than hit with his arm last year, though when he was hit with it, you could see the potential. And you just hope it’s one of those things that experience takes care of.

I at least suspect he should have better passing opportunities this year, even without Boyd who I wasn’t as high on as most other people will. But I think the running game has the potential to be extremely strong, stronger than we’ve seen maybe ever... with Armani, Lex, X and I’m really, really excited to have Williams back. Big play threats out of the backfield the entire game. Hopefully that opens up some easy passes, even the simple passes to the RB’s in the flat.

If he’s not going to connect on routine passes, it will be a tough year. You can’t have half an offense. We might have half a team as it is with connecting on routine passes and having (presumably) a weak defense. Not connecting on the easies will be doom.

While everyone is all up on Armani, how about the back up QB? How is Max Gilliam doing in practice or Marckel Grayson. They will a play a huge role in this team if Armani gets injured. Any thoughts?

Armani has the potential. Some of the throws he did make last were spectacular at times. Hitting guys in very tight windows with 2 defenders draped over them. Hitting guys over the top in stride. He has the arm talent.

It wasn't a regular thing obviously. He was not consistent and didn't go through his reads very well. He was also a freshman in his first college season. He also has great legs, which tends to slow progress of reading defenders when you have your legs to fall back on.

His ceiling is extremely high, and because off that I think they should be patient with him. Now he NEEDS to get better. He needs to share the ball and not zone in to 1 target. He needs to use his legs to extend the pass, not the run. But these are very high level skills that can't take a long time for guys to get.

I think he will be better than last year, but he will be frustrating at times. Good should outweigh the bad.

Reactions: ricovegas
Armani has the potential. Some of the throws he did make last were spectacular at times. Hitting guys in very tight windows with 2 defenders draped over them. Hitting guys over the top in stride. He has the arm talent.

It wasn't a regular thing obviously. He was not consistent and didn't go through his reads very well. He was also a freshman in his first college season. He also has great legs, which tends to slow progress of reading defenders when you have your legs to fall back on.

His ceiling is extremely high, and because off that I think they should be patient with him. Now he NEEDS to get better. He needs to share the ball and not zone in to 1 target. He needs to use his legs to extend the pass, not the run. But these are very high level skills that can't take a long time for guys to get.

I think he will be better than last year, but he will be frustrating at times. Good should outweigh the bad.

Bro...I think you nailed it....:football:

Unless our defense is way more disciplined I don't see us beating AF but I think we will be 5-6 and playing UNR for the possibility if bowl eligibility sixth win.

AFA has been pretty bad the past few seasons, so you can see a win there. Though on the flip side, it's hard to imagine AFA been that bad again this year. So there's that.

Amare will miss games with a concussion because he either tried to plow through a linebacker on 2nd and short or he forgot that defenses like to blitz on 3rd and long.

Amare will miss games with a concussion because he either tried to plow through a linebacker on 2nd and short or he forgot that defenses like to blitz on 3rd and long.
We all know how you feel about ARMANI (not Amare).

Good thing we have what seem to be competent backups.

We all know how you feel about ARMANI (not Amare).

Good thing we have what seem to be competent backups.

It’s actually how I fell about Sanchez. I think Armani could be great. But Sanchez does do him any favors by encouraging him to try a plow through the defense rather than learn how/when to slide / throw it away. Sanchez gets locked it on his script and can’t see when reality is going a different way.

I think 6-6.. I still have huge worries about our special teams and defense, not to mention Armani's passing ability. We'll improve like we do every year under CTS....EVER SO SLIGHTLY !!!

][QUOTE="lvrebalum2012, post: 376842,
It’s actually how I fell about Sanchez. I think Armani could be great. But Sanchez does do him any favors by encouraging him to try a plow through the defense rather than learn how/when to slide / throw it away. Sanchez gets locked it on his script and can’t see when reality is going a different way.[/QUOTE]

Whenever anyone not familiar with us asks the offense we run, I tell them the best description for it is Kill our QB. Decker, Stanton, Rogers... insert a new name, but running a qb as much as we do does tend to get them injured.

][QUOTE="lvrebalum2012, post: 376842,
It’s actually how I fell about Sanchez. I think Armani could be great. But Sanchez does do him any favors by encouraging him to try a plow through the defense rather than learn how/when to slide / throw it away. Sanchez gets locked it on his script and can’t see when reality is going a different way.

Whenever anyone not familiar with us asks the offense we run, I tell them the best description for it is Kill our QB. Decker, Stanton, Rogers... insert a new name, but running a qb as much as we do does tend to get them injured.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. Not sure I agree. I think Sanchez is using the talent on the field. Armani is a dual threat QB. Why limit him to a single threat? Play to win. Use all your talent to the max. [cheers]

Reactions: Sam-I-am
They lost by only 3 to powerhouse Rice...

Sentiment is not lost on me, but it's a bid unfair. PVAM was dominating that game and then fell apart/Rice depth got them through it. It was quite literally a walk off chip shot field goal to win. Still, not a cause for concern because I think UNLV is much better than Rice, but for the sake of playing devils advocate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT