ADVERTISEMENT

Sanchez is really recruiting

This might be Sanchez’s best recruiting class! They just picked up a 3 star LB Viramontes. He had some real good offers. They are getting some real players.
Fire him, he sucks, he’s a high school coach!

Just kidding, I love what he is doing and it most probably will be his best recruiting class.

Reactions: RebelinWA
ESPN has Viramontes as a 4 Star recruit. Tony Sanchez is doing what he has to do to become bowl eligible in 2019. Right now this recruiting class is shaping up to be his best yet for UNLV. I believe when the early signing period hits it will show just that. In addition the JUCO recruiting as graded by 247 sports shows immediate impact on UNLV's team. Looking Good now. Keep it up

ESPN has Viramontes as a 4 Star recruit. Tony Sanchez is doing what he has to do to become bowl eligible in 2019. Right now this recruiting class is shaping up to be his best yet for UNLV. I believe when the early signing period hits it will show just that. In addition the JUCO recruiting as graded by 247 sports shows immediate impact on UNLV's team. Looking Good now. Keep it up

The #2 class in the MWC right now...

No margin for error.

Every JUCO has to produce this year.

Class looks solid, it's going to have to be.

Schedule is more difficult.

On a third a long when Skipper calls to bring the house, I expect to see Viramontes and D dash breaking the other team to get to qb. He’s an absolute monster. I think we might have found the wumbo combo we’ve been lacking.

You provide a list of players that did well at UNLV, but show me that they ever had a high ranking as recruits out of high school or the JV route? I watched all of them play, and with the exception of Jason Thomas, who was a transfer, I do not remember the others being all that highly rated. We also have Travis Mumphrey rated as the 16th best player ever in the class of 2019, Johnny Stanton at 14th, Kenyon Oblad at 19th, as well as a half dozen others in the top 50 who are currently on the team.

https://247sports.com/college/unlv/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

This has basically been my reaction to UNLV Football in the past 2 months:

Screen-Shot-2017-07-13-at-8.32.00-AM.png

And there is more coming guys.....If you get a chance check out Joe Arrigo Facebook page #Joeknows he has some wonderful podcasts an informative website versus Rebel-net complaint department.

For instance I didn't realize NCAA rules does not allow a High School coach who becomes a college coach to recruit his old school i.e. Gorman for several years this is the first year coach Sanchez doesn't need special permission by the NCAA to recruit Gorman.

There are some other good tidbits on there that I won't ruin for you.
Our patience might be paying off. Lets hope so.

Last edited:
And there is more coming guys.....If you get a chance check out Joe Arrigo Facebook page #Joeknows he has some wonderful podcasts an informative website versus Rebel-net complaint department.

For instance I didn't realize NCAA rules does not allow a High School coach who becomes a college coach to recruit his old school i.e. Gorman for several years this is the first year coach Sanchez doesn't need special permission by the NCAA to recruit Gorman.

There are some other good tidbits on there that I won't ruin for you.
Our patience might be paying off. Lets hope so.

Arrigo has been perpetuating this half/truth for years now.

It is false.

Sanchez was allowed to recruit Gorman, he had to get waivers from NCAA to do so. There were hoops but he could in fact recruit Gorman.

We have Gorman players on the roster. Garcia, Caldwell and Hester.

That's the issue with Arrigo. He has some good info but everything is always spun to make Sanchez look good.

Two years ago he predicted 8-4 or 9-3.

Rebs go 4-8.

To save face he went on some ramble about it's been a 6 year plan since day one.

Last edited:
I would add SDSU to that narrative considering they are a good team, and that we had not won at San Diego in almost 20 years. I agree this overall year was without a question a big disappointment, but the last 3 games of the year was a bright spot. P.S. UNLV has never won 3 games in a row against teams with winning records since they went D1.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I would add SDSU to that narrative considering they are a good team, and that we had not won at San Diego in almost 20 years. I agree this overall year was without a question a big disappointment, but the last 3 games of the year was a bright spot. P.S. UNLV has never won 3 games in a row against teams with winning records since they went D1.

Two of three were. Losing to Hawaii is still losing.

I'm sure SDSU and Reno don't view a close loss to UNLV a positive.

We need to be past moral victories.

Last edited:
Bull did you actually listen to his podcast? If you did, you would have heard he mentioned the waivers.

The reason he had to come clean was he got called on it on twitter earlier in the day.

He never once said 'waivers'. For years, he purposely said that Sanchez couldn't recruit Gorman.

He said it on his podcast because he had to.

If people hadn't called him out he'd still be saying 'finally' as if he never could.

Last edited:
You provide a list of players that did well at UNLV, but show me that they ever had a high ranking as recruits out of high school or the JV route? I watched all of them play, and with the exception of Jason Thomas, who was a transfer, I do not remember the others being all that highly rated. We also have Travis Mumphrey rated as the 16th best player ever in the class of 2019, Johnny Stanton at 14th, Kenyon Oblad at 19th, as well as a half dozen others in the top 50 who are currently on the team.

https://247sports.com/college/unlv/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

I believe Mumphrey is an early HS grad like Oblad and can be here in Spring.

I'm sure SDSU and Reno don't view a close loss to UNLV a positive.

How is that even the same thing as us taking the last 3 games as a positive finish to the season? Those teams lost to us, a losing team. We lost to Hawaii, a team with a winning record?

Btw, not into moral victories either, but at least use an apples-apples comparison.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Arrigo has been perpetuating this half/truth for years now.

It is false.

Sanchez was allowed to recruit Gorman, he had to get waivers from NCAA to do so. There were hoops but he could in fact recruit Gorman.

We have Gorman players on the roster. Garcia, Caldwell and Hester.

That's the issue with Arrigo. He has some good info but everything is always spun to make Sanchez look good.

Two years ago he predicted 8-4 or 9-3.

Rebs go 4-8.

To save face he went on some ramble about it's been a 6 year plan since day one.

Arrigo has said that they couldn't recruit Gorman, he did clarify it during a twitter exchange a few weeks ago, I read those tweets as well. I didn't hear anyone ever say that about UNLV not being able to recruit BG in the past, or that the clock got restarted when Sanchez hired Manuel or that players (Bolden, Perry, Ali-Walsh and Haskins) were denied by the NCAA when UNLV filed a waiver to recruit them. That was all news to me.

I'm not taking a shot, but it seems as if you have an issue with Arrigo, who has done a great job getting information out about the football program and is the best in this market when it comes to recruiting information and working with the various recruits. I there a reason why you feel that way towards him?

Also, give the guy credit, arguably the biggest recruit in the history of the football program went to Arrigo to announce his commitment. In the letter Arrigo new since Sunday and didn't release the info until Viramontes was ready to. Vic could've gone to anyone but he chose Arrigo, that speaks volumes to how he is viewed by the recruits and even the staff.

How is that even the same thing as us taking the last 3 games as a positive finish to the season? Those teams lost to us, a losing team. We lost to Hawaii, a team with a winning record?

Btw, not into moral victories either, but at least use an apples-apples comparison.

It was more in reference to Hawaii game.

SDSU was a win.

Reno was a win.

I like SDSU result and Reno result.

Hawaii game encapsulatesd everything that typically goes wrong. Poor second half to games. Its plagued Sanchez for his entire tenure.

What was positive about that game? Honest question. Defense surrendering a double digit lead? Offense stalling out?

My point is, we should be beyond incorporating close losses as progress. Regardless of our record. Nobody looks at a close loss to us as positive growth.

He is listed as the third highest rated player for UNLV ever, and Armani is listed 7th ever to commit.

Really? Higher than Cunningham, Ickey Wood, Jason Thomas?

Rocky Hinds

The 247Sports database starts ranking players in 2002, so "All Time Recruits" means since 2002.

What I always heard about Randall Cunningham is that he was a highly regarded athlete but USC wanted him to change positions. UNLV got him because the Rebels were willing to keep him at QB.

Arrigo has said that they couldn't recruit Gorman, he did clarify it during a twitter exchange a few weeks ago, I read those tweets as well. I didn't hear anyone ever say that about UNLV not being able to recruit BG in the past, or that the clock got restarted when Sanchez hired Manuel or that players (Bolden, Perry, Ali-Walsh and Haskins) were denied by the NCAA when UNLV filed a waiver to recruit them. That was all news to me.

I'm not taking a shot, but it seems as if you have an issue with Arrigo, who has done a great job getting information out about the football program and is the best in this market when it comes to recruiting information and working with the various recruits. I there a reason why you feel that way towards him?

Also, give the guy credit, arguably the biggest recruit in the history of the football program went to Arrigo to announce his commitment. In the letter Arrigo new since Sunday and didn't release the info until Viramontes was ready to. Vic could've gone to anyone but he chose Arrigo, that speaks volumes to how he is viewed by the recruits and even the staff.

He didn't clarify it. He was called out on it. Somebody exposed him for pushing a false narrative. Had he not been called out he would have continued pushing a half truth.

He has been tweeting it here and there for two years now.

I don't like or dislike the guy.

I said he had good info. He also will never negatively critique Sanchez.

I'm all for positive. But he should also be able to offer honest analysis. He doesn't do that.

He does a good job on recruiting news.

Beyond that, there are more interesting, better guys to follow for UNLV football analysis.

How am I taking shots at the guy by talking about things that actually happened?

He also wasn't the only one that had a good idea or knew Viramontes was coming here.

Last edited:
He didn't clarify it. He was called out on it. Somebody exposed him for pushing a false narrative. Had he not been called out he would have continued pushing a half truth.

He has been tweeting it here and there for two years now.

I don't like or dislike the guy.

I said he had good info. He also will never negatively critique Sanchez.

I'm all for positive. But he should also be able to offer honest analysis. He doesn't do that.

He does a good job on recruiting news.

Beyond that, there are more interesting, better guys to follow for UNLV football analysis.

How am I taking shots at the guy by talking about things that actually happened?

He also wasn't the only one that had a good idea or knew Viramontes was coming here.

Arrigo was the first on Vic's info. He made it known on the 247 crystal ball that he thought Vic would be a Rebel and based off the fact they are from the same area (Inland Empire) and the fact that Vic asked Arrigo to work with his announcement, I think he know a while ago that it was happening and kept it quiet.

Who does cover UNLV football better? Bischoff? HELL NO! He is constantly bashing the program. Grimala? He is all about numbers and second guessing. He also put out a story that was a flat out lie saying Charles Williams was gonna transfer. Anderson? The RJ is always looking to trash the program. He doesn't care about the program, just the story. Other than that there is no one, and YES, that is including Cofield & Co.

I agree he could be harder on Sanchez, and he has questioned certain moves or non-moves but he has said this is a 5-6 year rebuild since he first touched down in Vegas a few years ago. He may also be saying that based off he may know (or knew) that Sanchez wasn't going to get fired by DRS.

Arrigo was the first on Vic's info, he made it known on the 247 crystal ball that he thought Vic would be a Rebel and based off the fact they are from the same area (Inland Empire) and the fat that Vic asked Arrigo to work with his announcement, I think he know a while ago that it was happening.

Who does cover UNLV football better? Bischoff? He is constantly bashing the program. Grimala? He is all about numbers and second guessing. He also put out a story that was a flat out lie saying Chuck Williams was gonna transfer. Anderson? The RJ is always looking to trash the program. He doesn't care about the program, just the story. Other than that there is no one, and YES, that is including Cofield & Co.

I agree he could be harder on Sanchez, and he has questioned certain moves or non-moves but he has said this is a 5-6 year rebuild since he first touched down in Vegas a few years ago. He may also be saying that based off he may know (or knew) that Sanchez wasn't going to get fired by DRS.

He's not the only person in on the info. He wasn't the first. Sanchez offered Vic twice now. Anybody following the program even a little could surmise he would again. We were in the mix last time until a school came in late.

How does Anderson trash the program? He is a beat writer. He reports what happens and gives some analysis.

What do you want Anderson to do after watching UNLV get spanked by SJSU? Write 'Nice try guys, get them next time?' It's hard to write positive articles when you're covering a team losing by double digits every week.

It's not the local media's job to promote or be an advocate for UNLV. Write/report what happens. Anderson does that. Aside from Op/Ed guys who's jobs are to give opinion, media/sports guys should report what happens. They shouldn't sugar coat it or unnecessarily pile on either.

And no Joe has not said it was a 5-6 year rebuild since he came here.

He went on radio. Predicted 9-3 or 8-4. UNLV promptly went out and lost to Howard. After that loss is when he started his 5-6 year rebuild narrative. Anybody with any sense knew 9-3 or 8-4 was a ridiculous prediction.

Joe specifically went out of his way to blame inuries on UNLV's struggles on defense this year.

Yes they hurt. But that isn't the biggest reason UNLV is hurting for depth.

I asked Joe why he has never reported or done a story on the 2016 recruiting class. 25 players. Only 10 on defense. Of those 10 only two are left. Neither has contributed. That is an entire class missed on the defensive side of the ball. That is way more damaging to depth than the few injuries suffered this year.

Joe would never cover that because it shines poorly on Sanchez. That is information that fans should know. It would be honest reporting.

If Sanchez deserves credit for how good this class is shaping up (and he does, he looks to be knocking it out of the park), he deserves equal criticism for that class and the lingering effects its had on the defense.

I prefer Anderson's analysis because there is zero spin.

Agree on Bischoff. He does it on purpose though. He gets more clicks and people calling in by being negative.

Grimala is better at basketball. That said, he mentioned Chuck could be a candidate to transfer based on lack of touches. It was one or two sentences of speculation (poor speculation at that) but he didn't do an entire story on it.

Like I said, Joe's recruiting stuff is good. Very good. Which is great for fans. Beyond that, I find his analysis to be pro-Sanchez puff pieces. In that regard he does a disservice. It creates unrealistic expectations. The same unrealistic expectations he lectures people who were disappointed in this season about...

Last edited:
The 247Sports database starts ranking players in 2002, so "All Time Recruits" means since 2002.

What I always heard about Randall Cunningham is that he was a highly regarded athlete but USC wanted him to change positions. UNLV got him because the Rebels were willing to keep him at QB.

USC was only interested in him being a running back being Sam’s brother I guess. Tony Knapp gave him a legit shot at QB plus Randall’s other brother Bruce was a senior DB here

Reactions: bcvegaspt
It was more in reference to Hawaii game.

SDSU was a win.

Reno was a win.

I like SDSU result and Reno result.

Hawaii game encapsulatesd everything that typically goes wrong. Poor second half to games. Its plagued Sanchez for his entire tenure.

What was positive about that game? Honest question. Defense surrendering a double digit lead? Offense stalling out?

My point is, we should be beyond incorporating close losses as progress. Regardless of our record. Nobody looks at a close loss to us as positive growth.
I’m not making the argument that the Hawaii loss was a positive.

I’m making the argument that the comparison you picked to make your point was awful.

I’m not making the argument that the Hawaii loss was a positive.

I’m making the argument that the comparison you picked to make your point was awful.

The original post I was answering to was essentially 'There was a lot of good to be taken out of the last three weeks'

I disagreed because I don't think there were many positives to take from the Hawaii game.

I wouldn't have lumped a loss to Hawaii in, with two very good performances vs SDSU and Reno.

A close loss to a P5 school sure. A tough loss to Boise on the road ok.

But not Hawaii.

My point was, nobody else in the conference would look at a close loss to UNLV as a positive. Neither should UNLV or fans in year four of Sanchez tenure view close conference losses as signs of growth.

Last edited:
Go back and look at the history of UNLV football. Only once in the last 35+ years has UNLV even beat more than two teams with winning records during the regular season. They lost a close game to Hawaii, that they shouldn't have lost, but the fact is they won two out of three games against solid bowl bound teams, and lost the third game in the final minutes.

Go back and look at the history of UNLV football. Only once in the last 35+ years has UNLV even beat more than two teams with winning records during the regular season. They lost a close game to Hawaii, that they shouldn't have lost, but the fact is they won two out of three games against solid bowl bound teams, and lost the third game in the final minutes.

Hawaii had two wins over FCS teams.

If you use close losses as evidence then you can also say the opposite is true. We were close to losing the SDSU and Reno games. Could easily have finished 2-10.

Wins are wins losses are losses.

If UNLV had lost by 7 to USC. Sure I'll buy it. It's a P5 school. Lost by a FG to USU on the road. Road game vs a very good USU team. Sure that's a positive.

Losing to a program who's coach makes less than ours. Is in nearly the same financial situation. Who we beat as recently as last year. Not so much.

Hawaii was a microcosm of the Sanchez era. Defense unable to hold a lead. Offense stalling in second half. It is a poor example of growth. Giving up 30+ again. Are not positives.

I'm well aware of UNLV's mediocre history. I don't need to be reminded of it.

UNLV beat two teams in SDSU and Reno who had winning records. Absolutely a positive sign. Multiple wins in a season over teams with winning records is a rare thing.

Losing to middling teams like Hawaii though is a common occurence. 2 of Hawaii's 8 wins were over FBS schools. Another was over us and another was over SJSU. Don't get me wrong I'd take their 8 wins all day long. But they only had 1 win over a team with a winning record. Much like Hauck's bowl season there is some fools gold in that record. Again, I'd take it over our 4-8. Would love to have the bowl. But Hawaii was not a very good team this year.

Personally I think we should be beyond moral victories vs conference opponents at this point in Sanchez tenure. (outside Boise and possibly USU on the road).

Last edited:
Reactions: CRhodes1983
I like Mike Grimala...easy on ripping the dude. And I like Mark Anderson too...

I like Mike Grimala...easy on ripping the dude. And I like Mark Anderson too...

Not ripping him. He is good with basketball.

He speculated on William's leaving. Unless he is hearing stuff nobody else around the program is, he was spitballing. Shouldn't have done that. Not fair to player.

He does football because he has to, not sure he particularly enjoys it all that much. (Maybe he does).

Anderson is good. Just straight to the point. No spin or hyperbole.

It looks solid so far.

Biggest question, is there enough yet on the defensive line?

With Outsie/Mann/Alo-Wily gone that's three starters that have to be replaced.

Last years JUCO DL guys contributed very little. I don't expect much from them this year either.

Uesike made a nice jump and returns. Dedashtian returns from injury. So that helps. After that a lot of ???.

Manoa was highly touted and could make a similar jump to Uesike. Malcolm Johnson saw a little time. Neal did as well.

Just not a lot on current roster returning that you can point to as 'sure things'

This crop of JUCO's especially any on the DL are going to have to produce right away. It took Mann and Outsie both a season to acclimate. Both better this year vs last. Sanchez needs this group to contribute big this year.

I like what's been/being done with secondary and what's returning. Linebacker group I like as well.

Still concerns about DL though. Not as bad as before, but it's the one area I'm still not sure it's enough. At least not yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT