ADVERTISEMENT

Sanchez fired

RebelMan5000

Conference POY
Jun 20, 2018

I, for one, am shocked...well, not that shocked. Kind of surprised they didnt just wait a week though. Looks like he'll still finish the season though.

I'm just glad he gets to coach through UNR. Now everyone can just take care of the business of football. The elephant that's been in the room for the last month has been bagged.

I’m sure Desiree has someone great all lined up to takes us to the promised land. SMH.

I could be wrong, but I do believe this is somewhat common in college football.
Yeah, you do see it in football, not basketball. But when you can wait five days and let him finish his career here? It’s in bad taste to me. Really bad taste. She’s giving two middle fingers to Sanchez and the Fertittas, IMO. A pissing contest. There’s no need for it.

Yeah, you do see it in football, not basketball. But when you can wait five days and let him finish his career here? It’s in bad taste to me. Really bad taste. She’s giving two middle fingers to Sanchez and the Fertittas, IMO. A pissing contest. There’s no need for it.

Joe I agree the optics are bad...

But

Say they beat Reno and you fire him while the paint is still drying on the canon.

Not great either...

Reactions: 9th_Islander
Joe I agree the optics are bad...

But

Say they beat Reno and you fire him while the paint is still drying on the canon.

Not great either...
So if they didn’t fire him now, they cross their fingers and hope that the Rebels lose so it’s easier for everyone?

So let’s make it easy. Let’s make YOU look bad instead of making US look bad.

It’s bullshit.

So if they didn’t fire him now, they cross their fingers and hope that the Rebels lose so it’s easier for everyone?

It’s bullshit.
Let’s get this straight. I think win or lose next week, he ABSOLUTELY should be fired. I was on the fence last year but was leaning much closer to “fire him” than keep him, but I understood the politics and the payday reasons to keep him. I’m certainly NOT advocating keeping him even if we beat UNR 56-0. He needs to be fired.

But there is a right way.

This is what I received in an e-mail about an hour ago!

Dear Rebel Football season ticket holder,

It is being announced this morning that Head Football Coach Tony Sanchez and UNLV will part ways at the end of the season.

During his five years leading the program, the Rebels have had a record of 19-40.

We want to thank Coach Sanchez and his staff for their commitment and dedication during their tenure to set up the football program for future success. Because of their work and vision, we have the best facilities in the Mountain West and rival some of the best in the country.

The search for our next head coach will begin immediately and will be guided by our core values and commitment to graduating leaders, winning championships, and excelling in all that we do. The future of the program is bright and together, we will position UNLV Football for long-term success.

Please see the below press release that will be distributed publicly today.

Thank you for all you do for UNLV Athletics.

With gratitude,

Desiree Reed-Francois

It’s bullshit.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying the optics were going to be bad regardless.

Coming off a win makes it seem worse.

If they made the call after the CSU loss or Hawaii does it change anything.

I don't like the look of it. Thought he should have been allowed to play the season out.

It's done now. We all new it was likely coming...

Maybe.

Maybe not.

We'll see...

You can't limp into the new stadium on the heels of a 3 or 4 win season though.
No matter what we are going to limp into the new stadium. We're looking at starting out 0-2 because we play Cal & AZ.ST.

Let’s get this straight. I think win or lose next week, he ABSOLUTELY should be fired. I was on the fence last year but was leaning much closer to “fire him” than keep him, but I understood the politics and the payday reasons to keep him. I’m certainly NOT advocating keeping him even if we beat UNR 56-0. He needs to be fired.

But there is a right way.

I agree.

I'm just not sure what or if there is a right way.

If they waited until after Reno would it feel anymore right?

I don't know..

These things usually are never pretty...

For every person who wonders 'why now?'

There are some that think 'why wait?'

I don't know...

I don't like the look of it. Thought he should have been allowed to play the season out.

Why the **** is everyone worried about “perception”? I don’t get it. Everything is manufactured to cater to “perception”. Sports, politics, social media, life.... just do the right thing. There is still basic right and wrong.

No matter what we are going to limp into the new stadium. We're looking at starting out 0-2 because we play Cal & AZ.ST.

I get that.

I'm talking about energy/interest heading into the stadium.

Retaining Sanchez wouldn't help there.

A new, hire heading in at least creates some buzz.

If you land a Jim Mora you may get some curiosity ticket sales. (Just using him as an example). He has some name value..

Next season's schedule is brutal....

I agree.

I'm just not sure what or if there is a right way.

If they waited until after Reno would it feel anymore right?

I don't know..

These things usually are never pretty...

For every person who wonders 'why now?'

There are some that think 'why wait?'

I don't know...
Listen, the dude is still contacting recruits telling them to stay at UNLV.

To me, that says he cares more about UNLV than UNLV cares about him, which essentially puts him in the same boat as the fans.

He should absolutely be fired. But if the “gain” in the bit of extra personal humiliation is a slightly better “perception”.... that is just the wrong way, man. He sucked as a coach and should be fired, but he gave more to this school (granted, it was by friendship, but it got our building erected, which is more than the other guys).... a little respect isn’t unwarranted.

Why the **** is everyone worried about “perception”? I don’t get it. Everything is manufactured to cater to “perception”. Sports, politics, social media, life.... just do the right thing. There is still basic right and wrong.

Because perception is 99% of most people's reality...

Would firing him after a win over Reno be better?

This isn't uncommon in football..

Listen, the dude is still contacting recruits telling them to stay at UNLV.

To me, that says he cares more about UNLV than UNLV cares about him, which essentially puts him in the same boat as the fans.

He should absolutely be fired. But if the “gain” in the bit of extra personal humiliation is a slightly better “perception”.... that is just the wrong way, man. He sucked as a coach and should be fired, but he gave more to this school (granted, it was by friendship, but it got our building erected, which is more than the other guys).... a little respect isn’t unwarranted.

I agree.

Would it be more respectful to fire him after a win over Reno while the paint is still drying?

I'm not sure...I don't know...

Let’s make YOU look bad instead of making US look bad.

This is it 100%. Classless, unthankful, petty, selfish organization.

And I understand why Tony should be let go, even though I have argued that we shouldn't. But what Tony did accomplish while he was here is not insignificant. Show some gratitude to a member of the Las Vegas community. The university showed TKM more respect, and no one deserved to be fired more.

I agree.

Would it be more respectful to fire him after a win over Reno while the paint is still drying?

No, you let him celebrate. You make a public statement... "This is a time for our coach and players to celebrate the fruits of their hard work. We will discuss the future of UNLV in the coming weeks."

It is not hard. If you can go out of your way to fire a guy a week early, you can fire him a week late.

I believe the Bobby Hauck firing was also announced right before the UNR game too. I was hoping that team would rally and send him out a winner but they ended up getting blown out. I'm not sure what the benefit is of firing him today but I expect the team will lose on Saturday now.

I agree.

I guess that’s where we differ. Perception isn’t the biggest deal to me, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have become a fan in the first place since the perception of UNLV was so bad nationally.

I’ve seen too much needing to control perception which is usually to try and validate a lie ... not UNLV ... everywhere. Controlling perception heavily amounts to propaganda to me. I don’t like it. That whole vein. I get it, I just don’t like it. I think there’s a right way, a wrong way, using a little bit of respect and dignity... I think that’s more important than carving out a certain perception.

I believe the Bobby Hauck firing was also announced right before the UNR game too. I was hoping that team would rally and send him out a winner but they ended up getting blown out. I'm not sure what the benefit is of firing him today but I expect the team will lose on Saturday now.
You can’t tell. Could rally them, could make them fall flat on their face.

No, you let him celebrate. You make a public statement... "This is a time for our coach and players to celebrate the fruits of their hard work. We will discuss the future of UNLV in the coming weeks."

It is not hard. If you can go out of your way to fire a guy a week early, you can fire him a week late.

Coming weeks?

You have to get somebody in to work on retention of verbal commits and current players.

You don't wait weeks though.

This is not uncommon in football at all..

However or whenever it was done, there was going to be people who think it should have been handled differently, or sooner, or later.

Does it feel less icky if you fire him after a win over Reno?

What if they lose to Reno? Would you wait another week to make the announcement?

What's the point in that?

I get that.

If you land a Jim Mora you may get some curiosity ticket sales. (Just using him as an example). He has some name value..

I get that.

I have a feeling the first few games in the stadium will be quite packed just because people won't be able to afford going to Raider games. Everyone will want to see the new stadium in the first year.

I guess that’s where we differ. Perception isn’t the biggest deal to me, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have become a fan in the first place since the perception of UNLV was so bad nationally.

I’ve seen too much needing to control perception which is usually to try and validate a lie ... not UNLV ... everywhere. Controlling perception heavily amounts to propaganda to me. I don’t like it. That whole vein. I get it, I just don’t like it. I think there’s a right way, a wrong way, using a little bit of respect and dignity... I think that’s more important than carving out a certain perception.

Perception is human nature though. What people perceive to be the truth and what is the truth are often different.

I'm not sure there is any more dignity in announcing after the Reno game win or lose.

Say your boss calls you on the phone on a day off and says 'Hey Joe, can you come in today we need to talk' then he fires you. Would you be more inclined to say 'Hey thanks for doing this face to face' or 'Hey jackass you could have saved me the trip and done it on the phone'

I don't know...Both suck if you are the guy getting fired...

I think however this played out it was going to feel a little gross..

I have a feeling the first few games in the stadium will be quite packed just because people won't be able to afford going to Raider games. Everyone will want to see the new stadium in the first year.

Absolutely. We already see that with the ticket sales. I'm not sure that bump is/was enough for what they want or need though..Only way to increase that was for the Rebs to be coming off a good year or a change was made.

Perception is human nature though. What people perceive to be the truth and what is the truth are often different.

I'm not sure there is any more dignity in announcing after the Reno game win or lose.

Say your boss calls you on the phone on a day off and says 'Hey Joe, can you come in today we need to talk' then he fires you. Would you be more inclined to say 'Hey thanks for doing this face to face' or 'Hey jackass you could have saved me the trip and done it on the phone'

I don't know...Both suck if you are the guy getting fired...

I think however this played out it was going to feel a little gross..
I have a different world view than most when it comes to perception. Like I said, I’d have never been a UNLV fan if perception entered the equation. And I’d probably have put lead in my brain by the time I was 15 years old if I succumbed to perception of my family name.

I’d rather be guided by right and wrong (not saying I always do what’s right, but I’d rather be guided by my morality) than what other people think. It comes down to that.

I have a different world view than most when it comes to perception. Like I said, I’d have never been a UNLV fan if perception entered the equation. And I’d probably have put lead in my brain by the time I was 15 years old if I succumbed to perception of my family name.

I’d rather be guided by right and wrong than what other people think. It comes down to that.

I hear ya.

Yes, while it has that new stadium smell. Before the stench of losing takes over.
I'm half kidding. I'm holding out hope that this represents a fresh start that turns into us having something to cheer for in November. I mean, besides our bets coming in.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Firing him was the right thing to do . He shouldn't be allowed to coach the Reno game though. Give him his money and let him move on. I do see things getting better for UNLV football though. You don't bring in a high school coach to coach and develop college quarterbacks and expect to have success. I am sure the next coach will be one with success at the college level plus bring in a staff that can get the job done.

The optics are not bad now and they wouldn't have been bad even with a 60-0 win over Nevada. Tony Sanchez was given 5 years, had 5 losing seasons is 19-40 overall and just 12-27 in the MW. The bad optics would be keeping a coach with that resume.

Tony was fired like 3 or 4 games ago.

Actually, Tony was fired when DRF levied the ultimatum on him to make a bowl game.

This is what everyone wanted right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT