ADVERTISEMENT

Rogers

I have been as harsh a critic as anyone regarding Rogers passing ability but tonight he looked quite good. 65% passing is all you need with him. Good game and my hat is off to CTS and all the players. Most people may not know this but if UNLV beats Reno in a players senior season they get their name on a plaque on the practice field. It is a big honor and something all the guys want.

I have been as harsh a critic as anyone regarding Rogers passing ability but tonight he looked quite good. 65% passing is all you need with him. Good game and my hat is off to CTS and all the players. Most people may not know this but if UNLV beats Reno in a players senior season they get their name on a plaque on the practice field. It is a big honor and something all the guys want.

These seniors also are the first in a while that have gotten to win the cannon twice.

My thoughts on Rogers - he has one major weakness: when throwing the ball, he visually locks onto receivers. He doesn't look them off or read multiple pass options. Its the guy he was going to throw to or he will run the ball. If he can improve this aspect of his game, I think he can be one of the best quarterbacks in the conference.

Reactions: rebelx and Sam-I-am
These seniors also are the first in a while that have gotten to win the cannon twice.
2013 and 2015 Cannon wins, now 2018. If there was a guy who redshirted in 2013 and had a medical redshirt in between now and then, he would have won it 3 times. Only guy who that seems remotely possible to me is Kendal Keys, but I think he's 2014 incoming class.

My thoughts on Rogers - he has one major weakness: when throwing the ball, he visually locks onto receivers. He doesn't look them off or read multiple pass options. Its the guy he was going to throw to or he will run the ball. If he can improve this aspect of his game, I think he can be one of the best quarterbacks in the conference.
It would greatly help for AR to attend the Manning QB Camp this summer.

I don't know what guy he is...

Last night he managed the game. Made some great throws. Made good decisions. Never put ball in danger.

Is he that guy?

Or is he the guy we saw against UTEP and Prarie view that struggled to complete 50% of his passes against bad defenses.?

Reactions: willlevi

To be fair, most offenses in college have one read and a check down. There aren't a lot of elaborate route trees.

I think he makes the right reads more times than not. He just struggles to hit open guys.

He has the tools for sure..

This will be my last post about Rebel Football, CTS, the OC, and Armani Rogers till we have more news regarding recruits or coaching changes. Something happened in the last game that should have take place in the preseason. The play calling changed drastically from what it had been earlier in the year with Rogers at the helm.

We had become so one dimensional with Rogers running as much or more than the running backs with very few pass attempts. It seemed as though the play calling was an attempt by the staff to make Rogers the best running back in the country to the complete destruction of the offense. We became way to easy to plan and scheme for.

Last Saturday the decision seemed to be made to have Rogers become a QB instead of a RB. He connected on his passes and ran or scrambled as a last option or only occasionally to keep the D off balance which resulted in Reno having to play us honestly instead of loading the box. Kudos to the change. It is the only way Armani can possibly stay healthy for a full season.

Was very happy to see X get some good carries in that game as well. I always liked him and wished he would have carried more throughout his career but he showed his true grit and desire last Saturday.

This will be my last post about Rebel Football, CTS, the OC, and Armani Rogers till we have more news regarding recruits or coaching changes. Something happened in the last game that should have take place in the preseason. The play calling changed drastically from what it had been earlier in the year with Rogers at the helm.

We had become so one dimensional with Rogers running as much or more than the running backs with very few pass attempts. It seemed as though the play calling was an attempt by the staff to make Rogers the best running back in the country to the complete destruction of the offense. We became way to easy to plan and scheme for.

Last Saturday the decision seemed to be made to have Rogers become a QB instead of a RB. He connected on his passes and ran or scrambled as a last option or only occasionally to keep the D off balance which resulted in Reno having to play us honestly instead of loading the box. Kudos to the change. It is the only way Armani can possibly stay healthy for a full season.

Was very happy to see X get some good carries in that game as well. I always liked him and wished he would have carried more throughout his career but he showed his true grit and desire last Saturday.
The play calls really weren't that different than before. The really big difference was in the execution. Not just the execution by Rogers but the entire offense. If the returning players work hard and learn, the offense could be VERY good next season.

The play calls really weren't that different than before. The really big difference was in the execution. Not just the execution by Rogers but the entire offense. If the returning players work hard and learn, the offense could be VERY good next season.

Outside looking in. It always felt like to me Roger's was like a pitcher who had an incredible arm but struggled to find the feel for all his pitches.

There are some throws he seems to throw consistently well. Others you could almost eliminate from the playbook.

Fastball and change but no feel for the curve.

Outside looking in. It always felt like to me Roger's was like a pitcher who had an incredible arm but struggled to find the feel for all his pitches.

There are some throws he seems to throw consistently well. Others you could almost eliminate from the playbook.

Fastball and change but no feel for the curve.
Yeah. He definitely throws lots of curve balls. He needs to stop that.
Attending a good QB camp this summer like the Manning Camp could really help him on every aspect of the passing game.

To me it's more about not even trying some throws. Rarely do we see a dump off to a check down back, or even hitting a slot player on a short crossing route.

In general he puts too much heat on the ball. But sometimes it is necessary because he can fit it in to some tight windows.

But some of these throws aren't challenging, they are often the easier ones. He just has to look for them.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
We became one dimensional BECAUSE AR couldn't throw the ball. We found that out early in the season. He was so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT