ADVERTISEMENT

Rest of Season outlook

Felixj2

Starter
Oct 30, 2016
looking at the remaining schedule, I see maybe two more possible wins for the Rebs. SJSU and UNR...CTS rides out into the sunset with a win over UNR.

looking at the remaining schedule, I see maybe two more possible wins for the Rebs. SJSU and UNR...CTS rides out into the sunset with a win over UNR.
I remember a time when many on this board said they would be happy if we could just beat Reno and keep the cannon red.

Reactions: RebelinWA
No question after that game that UNLV looked no better than the first game CTS took over as coach. Now the question will be if the AD lives up to her hype and is able to find a good coach to take over the program, when she fires CTS, what type of funding is available to hire a new coach (including the money that is being provided for giving up the events at Sam Boyd, and how they handle the rest of the season? At this point I don't see UNLV getting the miracle that would be required to salvage this season! The one thing that UNLV, and the AD, better understand is that those who are still interested in supporting UNLV football will need a splashy hire if they want any chance of getting a decent crowd at the new stadium!

No question after that game that UNLV looked no better than the first game CTS took over as coach. Now the question will be if the AD lives up to her hype and is able to find a good coach to take over the program, when she fires CTS, what type of funding is available to hire a new coach (including the money that is being provided for giving up the events at Sam Boyd, and how they handle the rest of the season? At this point I don't see UNLV getting the miracle that would be required to salvage this season! The one thing that UNLV, and the AD, better understand is that those who are still interested in supporting UNLV football will need a splashy hire if they want any chance of getting a decent crowd at the new stadium!
No doubt. However I think good, even great coaches are out there, the real question is, will UNLV be willing to invest in a coach? Now that we will be playing in a billion dollar stadium and practicing in a world class multi million dollar facility, the pressure to win builds up.

I see 1 more win. CTS is definitely done. I am looking forward to hearing Tony talk football BS on the Reb Zone. It will be sad to see 10,000 fans in the new stadium. If that. Following this team is so painful. I get up every season and by the 3rd game its over......

I remember a time when many on this board said they would be happy if we could just beat Reno and keep the cannon red.

I may have said it. Then I was sold fake gold.

I can see now that beating Reno and keeping the canon red is the ceiling for this program.

Q

But you do remember.

Sure.

Its a terrible standard.

Said it then say it again now.

Either football matters or it doesn't.
Either winning matters or it doesn't.
Have low standards get low results.

Just beating Reno shouldn't be enough. It should be icing on the cake..

Reactions: Don-F
In other new Chris Ash is available or does that belong in another thread discussing firing CTS mid-season?

In other new Chris Ash is available or does that belong in another thread discussing firing CTS mid-season?

I don't think they should fire Sanchez mid season.

In fact until there is a 7 in the L column he has a chance to make a bowl.

But when/if we get to 7 losses, I definitely do not want to hear any 'he deserves another year' from anybody.

The evidence is piling up that he is in way over his head...And another year won't correct that..

Two straight years off a bye week in 'must win' game they were shelled.

But when/if we get to 7 losses, I definitely do not want to hear any 'he deserves another year' from anybody.

The evidence is piling up that he is in way over his head...And another year won't correct that..

You’ll probably hear it from some fanboys even if he’s 1-11.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
You’ll probably hear it from some fanboys even if he’s 1-11.

Oh there are a couple. And they will.

They'll deny there is an active search going on. It may be in the preliminary stages. But you better believe phone calls are being made.

How could there not be.

I'll tell you who is killing him right now is Bischoff.

Just tweeted out Sanchez completely contradicting himself about the offense not needing to change regardless of QB a month or so back and now saying it does.

This was a joke. Chris Ash was fired by Rutgers today. MIDSEASON. NO REPLACEMENT IN SIGHT!!!!

I used lots of CAPS & !!!!!!!! For EMPHASIS!!!!

Arigo is defending him.
I get it and respect that he’s doing so. I defend friends so Arigo is 100% correct in taking Sanchez’s side.

But...

There are way too many red flags to not see the forest among the trees.

We are gathered here today to pay our respects to CTS. Thanks for the Fertettia Football Complex, it will have a huge impact on UNLV Football as we move forward. You brought to UNLV tremendous effort and enthusiasm. Your heart was in the right place, but it didn't work out. All the best in your future endeavors.

To our current Athletic Director: Give the remaining loyal UNLV Rebel Football fans hope for the future, as we begin the next chapter in the new stadium. Find the money, make the right hire, and let's start to turn the program around.
If you do that I know I will continue to financially support UNLV Football. Good luck Desiree.

UNLV has the money that will start to come in which was negotiated for closing up the Sam Boyd stadium and transferring the events to the new stadium, UNLV has the new training facilities, UNLV has the new stadium, now either the AD hits a home run immediately or she hasn't done her job! Personally I would wait until they hit 7 loses and then make it clear that he is a lame duck coach and openly look for his replacement. If they want to be competitive, and to find the level of coach necessary to immediately turn the program around, they will need to come up with a salary that is above any other team in the MWC.

I see 1 more win. CTS is definitely done. I am looking forward to hearing Tony talk football BS on the Reb Zone. It will be sad to see 10,000 fans in the new stadium. If that. Following this team is so painful. I get up every season and by the 3rd game its over......
I think, the first year, we'll have bigger crowds than most of us on this board expect. I expect the first few home games to be well attended. It will cost a fortune to take a family to see a Raiders game. But the Rebels will be priced much more reasonable. As the season progresses, and we pile up the losses, the novelty will wear off and the crowds will diminish.

Reactions: lvrebalum2012
I think, the first year, we'll have bigger crowds than most of us on this board expect. I expect the first few home games to be well attended. It will cost a fortune to take a family to see a Raiders game. But the Rebels will be priced much more reasonable. As the season progresses, and we pile up the losses, the novelty will wear off and the crowds will diminish.

New car smell always wears off...

UNLV has the money that will start to come in which was negotiated for closing up the Sam Boyd stadium and transferring the events to the new stadium, UNLV has the new training facilities, UNLV has the new stadium, now either the AD hits a home run immediately or she hasn't done her job! Personally I would wait until they hit 7 loses and then make it clear that he is a lame duck coach and openly look for his replacement. If they want to be competitive, and to find the level of coach necessary to immediately turn the program around, they will need to come up with a salary that is above any other team in the MWC.

They will be 1 - 7 in 4 weeks.

All I care about now for this season is just beating Reno. We are awful. It's hard to watch. It would be nice to get Oblad some more experience also. Otherwise nothing else matters. Tony is toast, the season is over. We will be lucky to get a win total of 4 wins this year.

Everybody take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. All is well as Armani & Charles have been cleared to practice and play this week.

So going forward do we have a QB controversy? I would like to see Armani at wide out and Gilliam as the back up QB but trying to not use him and let him use a redshirt year unless Oblad went out for an entire game.

Or does any of it matter if the D doesn’t step up. Boise may hang 70 on us. Would that be 10 TD’s Bull or are you looking for a more exotic combination?

Everybody take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. All is well as Armani & Charles have been cleared to practice and play this week.

So going forward do we have a QB controversy? I would like to see Armani at wide out and Gilliam as the back up QB but trying to not use him and let him use a redshirt year unless Oblad went out for an entire game.

Or does any of it matter if the D doesn’t step up. Boise may hang 70 on us. Would that be 10 TD’s Bull or are you looking for a more exotic combination?

35 safeties?

That sentiment has been voiced here quite a few times.

But....

It was always after the season looked to be lost, or starting with a new coach with very low expectations (basically the same thing).

Not many have stated that all they need is a Reno win to be "happy" preseason especially beyond year 3 of a coach's tenure.

Well I have seen The Reb Zone and if Armani is ready to go it’s his ball. So after Northwestern we had a faux QB competition and after this shellacking where The Rebs would have scored 3 pts in the 1’st half except we caught their defense sleeping on Faulo’s TD there is no doubt that Armani is the unquestioned starter if he is able to go.

It was kind of interesting listening to Sanchez talk about Boise’s freshman QB. You could have replaced his name with Oblad. He’s got a live arm. He’s surrounded by veteran players yadayadayada. Kind of like Oblad has a live arm and is surrounded by veteran and 5’th year guys.

Boise started their freshman QB in their 1’st game and stuck with him after a rough 1’st half and he led them to a 2’nd half comeback over FSU.

Give Oblad a full game to find out if he’s got the Right Stuff!

What have we got to lose?

Reactions: Emmagirl2
Last time around UNLV didn't have the money, this time around that isn't a workable excuse, so if the AD can't hit a home run, then it would also be time for her to leave.

Last time around UNLV didn't have the money, this time around that isn't a workable excuse, so if the AD can't hit a home run, then it would also be time for her to leave.

Do you have candidates you like or would fit home run hire?

The facilities and stadium make it a more enticing job. No doubt.

But beyond that its still a G5 not a P5 job.

UNLV will have more money this time around, bit will it be enough to lure a coach away from a P5 job?

Not likely.

Other coaches in the G5 primed to move up, aren't going to take a lateral move to UNLV.

I don't think the coach at say Cincy would take the UNLV job even if UNLV could up his pay. Its a lateral move at best. I think most up and coming G5 coaches would be more apt to wait for a P5 job to open.

High level coordinators will be in demand. If it were to become a bidding war for a coaches services, could UNLV win it vs most P5 schools? I doubt it.

Maybe an ex-NFL guy..?

Herm's doing pretty well...Lovie Smith not so much...

What about a top FCS guy like the one at North Dakota State? I think he is at around 300-400k. They have had a very impressive run.

Would he be worth a look?

If this season continues its current trajectory and Sanchez is gone. I think we are probably getting either a younger up and coming coordinator or FCS coach...

I could be wrong. Who knows..I'll be surprised if the hire is one that blows fans away though..

I went to North Dakota State back in the day. Bohl of Wyoming started their FCS dynasty. But last coach just went to K State as head coach this last year. So present North Dakota State coach will have only been head coach for 1 year. As usual, Unlv a year or 2 late on that idea. North Dakota state has a 5-1 record vs p5 schools over the last bunch of years. They are and have been very legit.

I went to North Dakota State back in the day. Bohl of Wyoming started their FCS dynasty. But last coach just went to K State as head coach this last year. So present North Dakota State coach will have only been head coach for 1 year. As usual, Unlv a year or 2 late on that idea. North Dakota state has a 5-1 record vs p5 schools over the last bunch of years. They are and have been very legit.

That's right..I forgot he went to K-State....

All I care about now for this season is just beating Reno. We are awful. It's hard to watch. It would be nice to get Oblad some more experience also. Otherwise nothing else matters. Tony is toast, the season is over. We will be lucky to get a win total of 4 wins this year.

There is literally one game I have circled on the schedule that means anything.

There is literally one game I have circled on the schedule that means anything.

Which is why having the UNR game during rivarly week is so important. Gives us one last game with meaning, with a trophy and bragging rights to boot.

I'm coming home for the Hawaii game, hopefully it is a good atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT