ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Big 10 moving to conference-only games this fall

I guess we don't have to play at Sam Boyd again this year if the Mountain West cancels out of conference games. But we are closer to ASU than most Pac12 teams so we will have to see what happens.

On a side note, I was looking forward to the Ohio State/Oregon game this year. Oh well.

It it happens it happens. Maybe we can replace some of the games with other teams that have been cancelled. Possible that we can play every team in the MWC this next season if out of conference games cancelled? They will also need to figured out ticket cost if less games are being played?

It it happens it happens. Maybe we can replace some of the games with other teams that have been cancelled. Possible that we can play every team in the MWC this next season if out of conference games cancelled? They will also need to figured out ticket cost if less games are being played?
I have a feeling they are just starting the ball rolling. I can’t imagine everyone else not following suit shortly.

I do think we can still get to conference games only. But even that will be tenuous. And I think in the end, it will all be cancelled. Jmho. And no, masks weren’t going to make the difference between playing and not playing unless you were going to get near 100% compliance with distancing and masking, which you are never going to come close to getting.

Big ten his playing a 10 game conference schedule. they normally play 9. they are also going to play 10 games over a 14 weeks. they said they are doing this because if a team has like 40 guys infected they will just reschedule that game to a later date.

Mandatory workouts and structured film review are supposed to start Nationally on July 13.

Where do we stand on this? Are we set to start?

I hope we don't start like Ohio state and then have to cancel due to Covid cases among players.

On a side note, I was looking forward to the Ohio State/Oregon game this year. Oh well.

Ive been looking forward to that game for a couple of years. I would have been in Eugene for it and plan on being in Columbus next season for the game there. Hopefully they can work out an alternate date to get OSU to travel west, I know UO's schedule is set for several years and includes a P5 OOC school each year through 2030, I think OSU has the same scheduling issue to work around to make that game happen.

So we end up like the buck tooth girl with huge ears that gets asked to the prom after the pretty girls are all taken. I don't think so. Let BYU rot.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Wow, who didn't see those replies coming? Lol. I say pimp the ugly girl from Utah out if she can sell 65,000 seats. It's not like we couldn't use the money.

Wow, who didn't see those replies coming? Lol. I say pimp the ugly girl from Utah out if she can sell 65,000 seats. It's not like we couldn't use the money.
Give her $5 and we keep $95!

I mean, if $100 is the prevailing rate for buck toothed girls from Utah still. I mean now. Not that I’ve ever known before, of course.

I think there’s zero chance we see any CFB games at 100% capacity this year. At this point I’ll be happy if we can have football with no fans in attendance. If BYU isn’t bringing fans I see no reason at all to play them this year.
I wouldn’t mind if the MWC went to only conference games too just to screw BYU. I’d like to see BYU’s schedule if the Boise State, SDSU, and Utah State games all got cancelled. But at that point they’d probably go 2-0 against Northern Alabama and Northern Illinois and then they’d declare themselves National Champions.

They made the move, the MWC didn’t force it. So they should deal with any blowback.

People certainly wouldn’t hold it against Utah or TCU. They did the work, they moved on up. BYU, as BYU does, snubbed their nose at every school in conference, all because they wanted to show big brother Utah that they weren’t the wimpy little sister. Hurt feelings. Wah. Knee jerk. I’m sure they justify it to this day as a good move, more money, more control, etc, etc, etc - but it’s at the cost of something they built up over decades, some success nationally, prestige.... all gone.

Screw them.

On the other side the MWC did a sweetheart deal for BSU that they never offered to BYU.

I still view BYU's departure from the MWC as a reaction to Utah leaving the league and becoming P5. BYU will stay independent so they can still consider themselves "pseudo P5".

I still view BYU's departure from the MWC as a reaction to Utah leaving the league and becoming P5. BYU will stay independent so they can still consider themselves "pseudo P5".
I do too. Too much pride. Won’t admit the mistake. This was all reaction to Utah being the most attractive in the State. Now if BYU were more lax on needing so much control, if BYU were willing to play by the rules applied to everyone else, they’d have been P5 before Utah, imo. They’ve got a strong niche following and it’s a niche that has money and it’s a good school academically.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I do too. Too much pride. Won’t admit the mistake. This was all reaction to Utah being the most attractive in the State. Now if BYU were more lax on needing so much control, if BYU were willing to play by the rules applied to everyone else, they’d have been P5 before Utah, imo. They’ve got a strong niche following and it’s a niche that has money and it’s a good school academically.

Leaving the MWC was also posturing for BYU, being more "available" and "less G5" when it came time for P5 league expansions. And it came close to paying off in 2016 when BYU was one of the 12 finalists for Big-12 expansion, and Boise St, SDSU, and UNLV were not (CSU and Air Force were). But the Big-12 decided that none of the finalists were worth adding.

That was 2016. Since then #MeToo happened, and then #BlackLivesMatter happened. And in the 2020's no school named after an openly racist polygamist with 50+ wives is going to be invited to a P5 conference without a lot of pushback over renaming the university.

Leaving the MWC was also posturing for BYU, being more "available" and "less G5" when it came time for P5 league expansions. And it came close to paying off in 2016 when BYU was one of the 12 finalists for Big-12 expansion, and Boise St, SDSU, and UNLV were not (CSU and Air Force were). But the Big-12 decided that none of the finalists were worth adding.

That was 2016. Since then #MeToo happened, and then #BlackLivesMatter happened. And in the 2020's no school named after an openly racist polygamist with 50+ wives is going to be invited to a P5 conference without a lot of pushback over renaming the university.
Not playing on Sundays in itself was going to hold them back from P5. Now listen, I don’t like the Sunday thing, but it IS part of their belief system, so I don’t really blame them. But it comes across as having to cater to them. P5 won’t have any of that. It comes across as a power play. They want the power, IMO. The MWC gave it. P5 ain’t desperate.

I haven’t followed - has BYU been hit by this PC cancel movement? I hope not, as much as I can’t stand them. These PC people, I tell ya.

BYU may be p5 by now if they were more accommodating, but they would not be invited before Utah. It was Utah busting the BCS and making the Final four. It was Utah with the #1 overall pick in the NBA and NFL the same year.

BYU may be p5 by now if they were more accommodating, but they would not be invited before Utah. It was Utah busting the BCS and making the Final four. It was Utah with the #1 overall pick in the NBA and NFL the same year.

For the PAC it was never Utah vs byu, because byu is a religious school that wont play on Sundays meant byu had no shot at the PAC. When the PAC couldnt get the deal done to bring in Texas and OU plus a couple of others that would have been throw ins (OSU and Tech) to make it the PAC14, they still needed two schools to get to 12. CU and Utah were the only two schools that made any sense.

Reactions: j. spilotro
For the PAC it was never Utah vs byu, because byu is a religious school that wont play on Sundays meant byu had no shot at the PAC. When the PAC couldnt get the deal done to bring in Texas and OU plus a couple of others that would have been throw ins (OSU and Tech) to make it the PAC14, they still needed two schools to get to 12. CU and Utah were the only two schools that made any sense.
Without those man placed restrictions on BYU, do you think they’d have been invited otherwise? They were awfully successful historically.

Utah also had a long-term plan on getting to PAC-12 level that they were able to enact for over a decade building up to the move. They were able to get love from the state legislature on funding to build academics to be comparable to most PAC-12 schools, and the athletic department was well funded, both by the state and supplemented by multiple billionaire boosters who understood there was a "roadmap" to moving to a better conference.

Reactions: RebNReno
So meaning just basing it strickly off of academics and athletic programs, which one get the invite from the PAC? byu no question. Obviously there is a lot more to it than that.
For sure. I just think they’re high quality enough, or were, to warrant a sure invite awhile back had they been a little more accommodating with their stance. Before Utah even.

Plus, it’s hard to ignore that they have a absolutely dedicated fan base that is spread very wide and it’s a niche meaning it won’t disappear. And that niche has money.

For the PAC research matters. UU is a AAU university which means it’s one the top 65 research universities in the country. BYU is a great school but they’re nowhere near Utah in this regard. I think Utah was always the better PAC choice.

But for a conference like the Big 12 I think they’d take BYU over Utah if given the choice. The Big12 doesn’t mind religious affiliations and academics aren’t nearly as important. Athletically they’re both good FB/BB assets but BYU has a larger following and fan base throughout much of the west. I think the Big12 would benefit from having more conference interest in places like LA, SD, LV, PHX where there are definitely sizable pockets of BYU fans living.

For the PAC research matters. UU is a AAU university which means it’s one the top 65 research universities in the country. BYU is a great school but they’re nowhere near Utah in this regard. I think Utah was always the better PAC choice.

But for a conference like the Big 12 I think they’d take BYU over Utah if given the choice. The Big12 doesn’t mind religious affiliations and academics aren’t nearly as important. Athletically they’re both good FB/BB assets but BYU has a larger following and fan base throughout much of the west. I think the Big12 would benefit from having more conference interest in places like LA, SD, LV, PHX where there are definitely sizable pockets of BYU fans living.

Just because Baylor got in when the four Texas schools from the Southwest Conf merged into the Big-12 doesn't mean the Big-12 will add another. Baylor is the still the only non-state school.

It only takes two "no" votes to block a school from being added and there were protests at Iowa State indicating that ISU might be the first "no" if BYU was chosen from the 11 finalists to get an invite in 2016. As far as I know BYU was the only candidate to draw opposition. There were more issues than Sunday games, issues like LGBT policy and such.

TCU is also a non-state school

TCU undoubtedly got in because of on field play. They are a small private school in DFW, a market the Big 12 already owns, where TCU has a small share of the fan base there. On top of that they have a rival in Baylor that fought hard to not include TCU when the Big 12 was initially formed.

But there was a long stretch where TCU had objectively the best football program in Texas. A&M left for the SEC, and Big 12 had no choice to invite TCU.

It is highly unlikely there will be any foot ball this year boys. Next year is in question. I am not trying to be negative but realistic per CDC info. And yes... it sucks!

Hey REB!!!

Reactions: UNLV Rebel1
Next year isn't in question. If they are still trying to shut down this country next year it will get violent or most everyone will have already become sick who will bet sick, and have recovered already.

I am waiting to see how they are going to handle the refunds? Are they going to try and keep the service fees? Are they going to have financial issues regarding money they may not have for refunds? This is UNLV we are talking about!

Reactions: unlv91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT