ADVERTISEMENT

Recent 3-star recruit per class

willlevi

NBA Draft Pick
May 21, 2007
nevadaprepreport.rivals.com
These guys were former 3-star recruits during the Hauck era

Taylor Barnhill, Ian Bobak, Dionza Bradford, Tim Cornett, Kurt Davis, Anthony Vidal

Devante Davis, Patrick Carroll, Princeton Jackson, Elijah Penny, Nick Sherry, Marquise Thompson, Kenneth Spigner

James Boyd, David Greene, Parker Holloway, Marc Philippi, Ron Scoggins

Torry McTyer, David Moffitt

Jamal Overton, Ryan McAleenan, Dominique Fenstermacher

Sanford Era
Ryan Wolfe, Justin Marvel, Jarrod Jackson, Auturo Rodriguez, Torrie Coleman,

4* Aaron Straiten, Joe Hawley, Tony Cade

Shane Horton, Larry Dennis, Thor Pili, Frank Summers, Nehimiah Munday, Rico Thomas

Jordan Barrett, BJ Bell, Kenny Brown, Alex Degiacamo, Caleb Herring, Nate Holloway, Doug Zismann, Bradley Randle

I didn't think Cornett had any stars? He was an under the radar guy that teams didn't warm up to until very late in the process. Same thing with Devante Davis. I remember reading an article about Barnhill where essentially his 'star' grade came solely from performance at a camp.

Bobak ranged between 2 and 3 stars depending on the site. Penny was ranked higher as a FB than he was as a TB if I am not mistaken.

The one guy on that list that was really disappointing was Streiten. Sanford waxed poetic about that guy prior to signing him saying how he had been around a lot of talented receivers and Streiten was one of the best he had seen since Curtis Conway.

Will question for you. I noticed the other day that McCoy had no grade/stars attributed to him. Now when you look on certain sites he has become a 2 star commit. Is this common practice where the more attention a recruit gets the more likely his 'star' grade will increase. It seems like if UNLV and New Mexico and say Fresno are following a kid he might have a 2 star grade, yet if Oregon and Arizona jump in the mix all of a sudden he jumps to a 3 star grade. Does the number of teams and what teams following a kid affect his 'star' grade?

Even with all of the technology out there now with the sheer number of kids graduating each year it has to be neer impossible for sites like Rivals to evaluate everybody. Do they have to rely to some degree on simply grading kids based on who is recruiting them?

Good info. Questions about some of Hauchs recruits. Moffitt never played for UNLV, what happened there? Overton I believe was a JC recruit, and I don't think he played much if any last year. Why not the run game left when Cornett left.

Will might know better but I think Overton failed to qualify. Same thing with Elijah Penny. He failed to qualify and had to go to a JC. I am pretty sure Penny plays at Idaho now.

Princeton Jackson was a guy coming out of JC that really looked the part. He really popped on film. For whatever reason he never seemed able to find a niche within the defense only playing sparingly. When he was on the field he made some nice plays, but the rumor was he was to undisciplined and was often out of position.

One more glaring observation about Hauck's recruiting classes. His best two were the first two classes, and the last two classes produced the poorest results. I followed Bobby as closely as most of these message board folowers, and I couldn't figure it out. After his best season he had his worst recruiting class. I liked the guy, very personable, but it seemed as though he gave up. Another killer last season was the A.D. scheduling Houston at the last minute for 400K. UNLV can't keep doing that.

Houston game was scheduled to help raise money and at the time were still bowl banned due to APR. When the ban was lifted it was too late to get out of the game. Losing that early bye week really hurt this team in more ways than one.

Jamal Overton I believe had a hand injury and RS. I expect him to compete this spring for some time in the backfield with Whitely, Greene.

RB will get very interesting in the fall when Lexington Thomas and Xzavier Campbell get on campus.

On another note Moffit was Gray Shirted, then participated through spring practice last year and then just never came back for fall. I asked but no one ever had a real reason.
This post was edited on 1/26 8:35 AM by rebelbuck

It appears that 6 was the largest number of 3 star recruits from Hauck through JRob. I believe we're at 6 now correct? If so, he tied our high with only a partial year. Not bad.

Originally posted by willlevi:
These guys were former 3-star recruits during the Hauck era

Taylor Barnhill, Ian Bobak, Dionza Bradford, Tim Cornett, Kurt Davis, Anthony Vidal

Devante Davis, Patrick Carroll, Princeton Jackson, Elijah Penny, Nick Sherry, Marquise Thompson, Kenneth Spigner

James Boyd, David Greene, Parker Holloway, Marc Philippi, Ron Scoggins

Torry McTyer, David Moffitt

Jamal Overton, Ryan McAleenan, Dominique Fenstermacher
Funny how Nick Sherry became a 3* when he committed to UNLV if I remember correctly he was considered a 4* star before that. I even think he was an Elite 11 QB coming out of high school.

My understanding with the star system, especially with Football is this.

There are no 1 star guys.

2 stars means that the recruiting guy are aware of the player, though they do not have enough film or study to make a complete evaluation.

0 stars mean that they have not really been evaluated at all or are simply not very good prospects.

3 stars have been evaulated. Are still good players, though not at the same level of 4 and 5 star guys. There are usally less than 50 5 star players, and 4 stars are usually top 10-20 at their position.

I

The star system has a lot to do with a player going off to camps and playing the games. The star system is based on not just what the players do on the field but also things that include their time they run the 40, how high they do their vertical jump etc. In other words, if a player doesn't get involved in the camps they most likely do not get ranked, and that is why there are good players out there that are not ranked while some higher ranked players are not always that good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT