ADVERTISEMENT

Rebel Defense Recruits (so far) vrs. Sr. Grads

ImmaRebel

National Player of the Year
Aug 10, 2012
UNLV will be losing 4 starters and 2 second teamers on Defense. Hardest hit will be the "D" line which sees both starting tackles (Hughes & Fao, as well as 2nd teamer, Finau, graduating).
UNLV also loses DB's Jackson & Chissoms and LB Keyes who all contributed. Replacing Mike Hughes and Jason Fao will be hard to do, they were both leaders and will be missed.

Also addition by subtraction as UNLV looks for 2 new Defensive Coaches. Good luck to both Coach Baer and Coach La Russa. Should be a big opportunity for UNLV Football to get alot better depending on who we hire.

As far as the incoming Defensive Recruits thus far I think there is alot of talent. I don't think I have ever seen a UNLV class that had three 3 star D-Lineman in it. 247 sports has Heimuli, Mosley, and Manoa as 3 stars.

In the Defensive secondary your adding 2 JC players in Plummer & Vartic, as well as 2 HS players in Hill & Jackson. Vartic will be the sleeper in this class. He should be solid.

Coach Sanchez you have done a great job in getting the funding for the Football Facility. UNLV's recruiting is better than ever. Now all you have to do to get UNLV in a Bowl game is to hire better Coaches than the two you let go....... and don't ever let unr beat us again. That's unacceptable.

One last point: Coach Sanchez said he has 25 spots open this year for scholarships. So we should be getting alot more help before this class is finalized

UNLV will be losing 4 starters and 2 second teamers on Defense. Hardest hit will be the "D" line which sees both starting tackles (Hughes & Fao, as well as 2nd teamer, Finau, graduating).
UNLV also loses DB's Jackson & Chissoms and LB Keyes who all contributed. Replacing Mike Hughes and Jason Fao will be hard to do, they were both leaders and will be missed.

Also addition by subtraction as UNLV looks for 2 new Defensive Coaches. Good luck to both Coach Baer and Coach La Russa. Should be a big opportunity for UNLV Football to get alot better depending on who we hire.

As far as the incoming Defensive Recruits thus far I think there is alot of talent. I don't think I have ever seen a UNLV class that had three 3 star D-Lineman in it. 247 sports has Heimuli, Mosley, and Manoa as 3 stars.

In the Defensive secondary your adding 2 JC players in Plummer & Vartic, as well as 2 HS players in Hill & Jackson. Vartic will be the sleeper in this class. He should be solid.

Coach Sanchez you have done a great job in getting the funding for the Football Facility. UNLV's recruiting is better than ever. Now all you have to do to get UNLV in a Bowl game is to hire better Coaches than the two you let go....... and don't ever let unr beat us again. That's unacceptable.

One last point: Coach Sanchez said he has 25 spots open this year for scholarships. So we should be getting alot more help before this class is finalized

Nice work Bro!

So the kids that did not sign early means they are still looking for offers or waiting for the next signing period? If you are 100% committed, what for?

That sucks about Heimuli. That would have been a huge signing for UNLV. Right in the Utes backyard, legacy signing for BYU and a top 50 player in utah. I bet he becomes a Ute.

So the kids that did not sign early means they are still looking for offers or waiting for the next signing period? If you are 100% committed, what for?

I am surprised how little was mentioned about the commits who chose not to sign, and the implications of that.

Heimuli is still "committed" to UNLV according to his social media, but also gives the impression that "better" offers would be welcomed.

Two local "commits" - Octavian Bell (Liberty DB) and Eric Brown (Green Valley OL) - have also appear to not be signed yet. All that flak UNLV takes about not recruiting locals - but they seem to be soft in their commitments even when they make them!

Another "late signer" appears to be Jarick Caldwell, TE out of the Phoenix area.

The indication i've seen is that the guys who didn't sign may be grade concerns/may not qualify. So schools are waiting until February to see if they improve. All those guys seem to still be fully committed, otherwise I think they'd decommit like Redding. Not to say if a bigger school comes knocking they wouldn't jump but still expect them to be Rebels

Erin Austin jump shipped to UNM, sucks not even a P5 school just a lateral move and we lost out on the recruit

The indication i've seen is that the guys who didn't sign may be grade concerns/may not qualify. So schools are waiting until February to see if they improve. All those guys seem to still be fully committed, otherwise I think they'd decommit like Redding. Not to say if a bigger school comes knocking they wouldn't jump but still expect them to be Rebels

I think with Heimuli it might matter where the (now in limbo) assistant from Oregon State who was interested in him ends up. Could be Hawaii.

Erin Austin jump shipped to UNM, sucks not even a P5 school just a lateral move and we lost out on the recruit

Wow - I hadn't noticed that. That happened quickly - Austin only committed to UNLV this month. He was from Sanchez's JC also (Laney).

He surprised me because he seemed all in on UNLV on his twitter. He had been conversing with current players & committed recruits as recently as like 10 days prior. He seemed pretty amped on UNLV but he has since deleted all his UNLV related tweets leaving only the replies. Very strange. I felt the same way on losing the 2 jucos that went with P5 conferences but don't understand picking New Mexico over UNLV

Reactions: run'em_out'a_here
I am surprised how little was mentioned about the commits who chose not to sign, and the implications of that.

Heimuli is still "committed" to UNLV according to his social media, but also gives the impression that "better" offers would be welcomed.

Chad Kauha'aha'a, who had pursued Heimuli when he was at Oregon State before the demise of Gary Anderson and his staff, has been hired as new DL coach for Boise State.

This is a concern with the security of the commitment of Heimuli.

Last edited:
Chad Kauha'aha'a, who had pursued Heimuli when he was at Oregon State before the demise of Gary Anderson and his staff, has been hired as new DL coach for Boise State.

This is a concern with the security of the commitment of Heimuli.

The red flags with Heimuli (chose not to sign in December, for starters) may be part of the reason for the recent push for defensive lineman. Heimuli is still "committed" but seems to be wearing more BSU Bronco gear than UNLV.

A Boise St fan told me that BSU is much more in need of OL this recruiting class, and that is where the available line scholarships mostly are. Hopefully none of the DL commits there flip and open up a spot.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The red flags with Heimuli (chose not to sign in December, for starters) may be part of the reason for the recent push for defensive lineman. Heimuli is still "committed" but seems to be wearing more BSU Bronco gear than UNLV.

A Boise St fan told me that BSU is much more in need of OL this recruiting class, and that is where the available line scholarships mostly are. Hopefully none of the DL commits there flip and open up a spot.
I just looked at BSU's roster. They have 11 underclass OL listed, eight of them freshmen. I think they could easily afford a scholie for a DL.

It's worth noting that heimuli's brother is a GA at Boise so may explain some of the gear but also could be a cause for concern

It's worth noting that heimuli's brother is a GA at Boise so may explain some of the gear but also could be a cause for concern

More significantly the coach who offered him to Oregon State is now the D Line coach at Boise St.

I’m not too concerned, plenty of guys that these coaches can recruit and offer. If you want to be here, be here. If not, then thanks and have a nice career

I just looked at BSU's roster. They have 11 underclass OL listed, eight of them freshmen. I think they could easily afford a scholie for a DL.

Actually right now it looks like BSU might not have scholarships to offer. They only had 15 seniors on the roster this season and they have awarded (signed) 20 scholarships already.

UNLV, on the other hand, had 20 seniors and including the most recent four commits is around 19, and about 7 of those won't sign (or not sign) until the February NLI day.

Two local "commits" - Octavian Bell (Liberty DB) and Eric Brown (Green Valley OL) - have also appear to not be signed yet. All that flak UNLV takes about not recruiting locals - but they seem to be soft in their commitments even when they make them!

Another "late signer" appears to be Jarick Caldwell, TE out of the Phoenix area.

Jarick Caldwell decommitted today.

Octavian Bell "confirmed" his commitment to UNLV last weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT