ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment 2022

It's weird to see a realignment phase where all the significant movement does not immediately impact us as a MWC school. I understand there's a bit of implication maybe toward scheduling and future realignment.

But as a conference, we are untouched in this round so far... knock on wood. Too bad we weren't in better place to join BYU in B12 as a regional partner!

I think UTEP would make some sense on both sides, though I believe it is more beneficial to them than for the MWC. Still some benefit for the conference however, especially if anyone makes a move for a P5 conference.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I think UTEP would make some sense on both sides, though I believe it is more beneficial to them than for the MWC. Still some benefit for the conference however, especially if anyone makes a move for a P5 conference.
Unpopular opinion, but I always thought NMSU would be nice to keep UNM's rival a conference foe. If you do either UTEP or NMSU into MWC, I think bringing both is worthwhile. But at this point, neither is probably worth it yet. If MWC loses (hypothetically) UNLV and SDSU, or any two West teams, I think it would make sense for them to expand into that Central footprint a little more. Unless some of the WAC schools are in better shape with their growth into D1 football, NMSU and UTEP are the top of options imo. Which kinda sucks...

I dont think adding UTEP or NMSU does anything for the MWC other than dilute it even more that it already is. The goal should be to get better not just bigger.
I don’t know how much quality we can actually add/attract. I agree with dilution,

Seems like the conference is relatively stuck.

Only way to improve is on an individual level and that’s by improving by moving up.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I dont think adding UTEP or NMSU does anything for the MWC other than dilute it even more that it already is. The goal should be to get better not just bigger.
My message was specifically tailored to if MWC loses teams to future realignment. Definitely a dilution unless one of those two programs makes major strides in hoops and football.

I agree he generally though with Joe that the MWC is basically stuck. Would require making stride in hoops by grabbing gonzaga and Wichita state to really move the needle for more than a season imo.

My message was specifically tailored to if MWC loses teams to future realignment. Definitely a dilution unless one of those two programs makes major strides in hoops and football.

I agree he generally though with Joe that the MWC is basically stuck. Would require making stride in hoops by grabbing gonzaga and Wichita state to really move the needle for more than a season imo.
I agree with that, if the MWC loses schools it will be forced to either add some or merge with another conference. Unfortunately for UNLV I don’t think they are in the top 3 to be taken, SDSU, BSU and CSU I’d think are all more attractive. UNLV s bet shot at a better league is have the PAC poach the Big12 and then have the Big12 take some MWC schools.with Texas and OU no longer available the PAC doesn’t seem very interested in expanding right now.

I agree with that, if the MWC loses schools it will be forced to either add some or merge with another conference. Unfortunately for UNLV I don’t think they are in the top 3 to be taken, SDSU, BSU and CSU I’d think are all more attractive. UNLV s bet shot at a better league is have the PAC poach the Big12 and then have the Big12 take some MWC schools.with Texas and OU no longer available the PAC doesn’t seem very interested in expanding right now.

BSU if it's the BIG 12.. I don't think they would qualify for PAC..

CSU is an attractive candidate for both Pac and Big12. Pac because it opens up an OOC game for CU..

Would SDSU qualify academically for PAC12? Honestly don't know..

Reactions: j. spilotro
BSU if it's the BIG 12.. I don't think they would qualify for PAC..

CSU is an attractive candidate for both Pac and Big12. Pac because it opens up an OOC game for CU..

Would SDSU qualify academically for PAC12? Honestly don't know..
Can’t see SDSU being wanted by P10. They are way too “elite” for a scrubby little school like SDSU. They did enough on field work and they don’t get sniffs.

I think they should, can’t see the P10 snobs allowing them or even if UNLV did enough. They’re “better” than us.

Scrub school or not, SDSU is far harder to get into than UNLV:

UNLV SAT 1050-1230
UNLV ACT 19-25
UNLV acceptance rate 80%

SDSU SAT 110-1310
SDSU ACT 22-28
SDSU acceptance rate 35%

When I applied to UNLV I think if you were transfering at least 20 credits you automatically got in. SDSU is tough to get into as mentioned above it has a very high application rate according to this the 8th most applied to school in the US.

The PAC doesnt want SDSU, I doubt that any current MWC would ever be invited to the PAC.

When I applied to UNLV I think if you were transfering at least 20 credits you automatically got in. SDSU is tough to get into as mentioned above it has a very high application rate according to this the 8th most applied to school in the US.

The PAC doesnt want SDSU, I doubt that any current MWC would ever be invited to the PAC.
We start winning 8-12 games a year for several years MAYBE less depends on who and how we beat those teams and i think we move to the top IF not the very TOP of the list! I think we could be a HUGE plus to any POWER 5. U want your fans to go on road trips??? Vegas would be #1 destination .We have EVERYTHING you would want in adding a NEW team.

I usually say schedule a tough ooc, but for football until we start improving I think we should schedule one money game a year against a big team and 3 cup cakes that we should have no problem beating and enter conference play 3-1. Then when we improve and get a better team with some confidence start improving our ooc. But as long as we start 0-4 or 1-3 I doubt anything changes

I usually say schedule a tough ooc, but for football until we start improving I think we should schedule one money game a year against a big team and 3 cup cakes that we should have no problem beating and enter conference play 3-1. Then when we improve and get a better team with some confidence start improving our ooc. But as long as we start 0-4 or 1-3 I doubt anything changes
I think it's a great idea IF we could afford it. I'm not familiar with our finances and don't know.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think it's a great idea IF we could afford it. I'm not familiar with our finances and don't know.
We have the luxury now that we can potentially schedule a money game at home. It will have to be a Wisconsin, or BYU, a team gauranteed to bring a crowd. You could also add in a road body bag game, though that does put you behind the curve with potentially 2 losses off the top. But you should do at least one of the 2.

You can only schedule 1 lower division team and have it count for your bowl eligible win total.

So the remaining game or 2 needs to be a winnable FBS game, which may not be that easy when you are typically towards the bottom of the FBS pile. Hopefully we are digging out of that pile and I have some hope that we are, but there will still be no guaranteed wins.

You know what would be fun for many of us? Schedule a well know HBCU team with an awesome marching band and get it nationally televise. If UNLV have a good marching band, man ...that would even better.
Just dont schedule Jackson State with Deon Sanders as coach.

I would suggest that we schedule a "body bag" game at their stadium so that we don't use up a home date. If we take two L's at home, but draw a good crowd, going 2-2 OOC isn't terrible. Plus, we earn a few more bucks by drawing well at home.

You know what would be fun for many of us? Schedule a well know HBCU team with an awesome marching band and get it nationally televise. If UNLV have a good marching band, man ...that would even better.
FAMU!

I would suggest that we schedule a "body bag" game at their stadium so that we don't use up a home date. If we take two L's at home, but draw a good crowd, going 2-2 OOC isn't terrible. Plus, we earn a few more bucks by drawing well at home.

It is an interesting discussion.

Honestly I don't know what kind of net take UNLV would score with a big home crowd, say 40k? Would a body bag game at Michigan or Notre Dame pay more?

Plus there is the local fan angle. Being out attended at home isn't a great look or inspire confidence for the team maybe. Also home team fans are very casual, and any loss despite the competition would possibly hurt over an easy win.

Conversely a suprising win would likely have more impact as a home game, and a tad more likely as well.

But overall record should be prioritized

Last edited:
We should start the Wisconsin home and home games. Super fun great fan base and the same color as us so we can use a full stadium for our promos
Exactly. Plus, we could use a new team photo with the stands filled with people wearing red and gray! It doesn't matter if 75% are from out of state.

Reactions: shnoker
We have the luxury now that we can potentially schedule a money game at home. It will have to be a Wisconsin, or BYU, a team gauranteed to bring a crowd. You could also add in a road body bag game, though that does put you behind the curve with potentially 2 losses off the top. But you should do at least one of the 2.

You can only schedule 1 lower division team and have it count for your bowl eligible win total.

So the remaining game or 2 needs to be a winnable FBS game, which may not be that easy when you are typically towards the bottom of the FBS pile. Hopefully we are digging out of that pile and I have some hope that we are, but there will still be no guaranteed wins.

Honestly just about any P5 school would draw well outside of some bottom feeders like maybe Vanderbilt. Even then, I would imagine 5k + (probably more).

UNLV already lost one of these games as a 50 or whatever point favorite.

ESPN, CBS or Fox wont be lining up to put this on their main channel, this would be a 9am or 9pm kick on ESPN3.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised how many Iowa State drew, but it was a special year for them, at least in the preseason which likely attibuted to their turnout.

In terms of threatening opening up the upper deck, I think it will take more than any P5 team. I think it most of the upper half of the Big 10 and Big 12, actually only the the top of the Pac 12 (like Oregon), with maybe the upper 3/4 of the SEC. ACC may be tougher to judge.

Basically it has to be a rabib fanbase than travels well and also loves Vegas.

Sure any P5 school will be a better draw than a standard MW game or a winnable non con opponent from locals and visitors alike. But I think it takes a certain type of school to really push the 40K+ range.

We start winning 8-12 games a year for several years MAYBE less depends on who and how we beat those teams and i think we move to the top IF not the very TOP of the list! I think we could be a HUGE plus to any POWER 5. U want your fans to go on road trips??? Vegas would be #1 destination .We have EVERYTHING you would want in adding a NEW team.
I like your optimism but 60 years in and UNLV has been to what 4 bowl games. Maybe start by winning 5- 6 games once every few years?

I was a bit surprised how many Iowa State drew, but it was a special year for them, at least in the preseason which likely attibuted to their turnout.

In terms of threatening opening up the upper deck, I think it will take more than any P5 team. I think it most of the upper half of the Big 10 and Big 12, actually only the the top of the Pac 12 (like Oregon), with maybe the upper 3/4 of the SEC. ACC may be tougher to judge.

Basically it has to be a rabib fanbase than travels well and also loves Vegas.

Sure any P5 school will be a better draw than a standard MW game or a winnable non con opponent from locals and visitors alike. But I think it takes a certain type of school to really push the 40K+ range.

They (ISU) traveled well 15 years ago when they stunk...

Pac 12 alone I think the following would draw 40k.

USC, UCLA, WASU, UW, UofA (Maybe), ASU, Oregon, Oregon State (they traveled pretty well here last time at Sam Boyd)

Cal/Stanford? Not sure..

Last edited:

USC, UCLA, WASU, UW, UofA (Maybe), ASU, Oregon, Oregon State (they traveled pretty well here last time at Sam Boyd)

Cal/Stanford? Not sure..
Yes, do bring Oregon and USC. Some of the hottest cheerleaders I have ever seen. Going to their football games is like going to a strip club. Thats probably why Rebwins keep following them around?

Get any SEC school outside of Vandy, and they will bring 30K + to Vegas over Labor Day, if you can get Ohio St, Oka St, or Texas schools, so many options for UNLV to have huge home game over Labor Day Weekend every darn year, Administration things UNLV is in freaking Reno for geez sake.

WASU came to Boyd ten years ago and I remember how disappointing their turnout was - much less than the Rebels get for BYU, Boise St, UNR, or Hawaii.

That was to Sam Boyd though...

I think it would pick up with Allegiant...

BYU travels well plus there is a huge LDS population here.. Hawaii, huge polynesian population here. Reno obvious reasons. Boise travels well.

Cal/Stanford? Not sure..
Iowa State didn't get us past to 40K mark, and this was probably one of their most anticipated seasons in years.

There was the COVID factor to be fair, but still.

Uof A can struggle to get 40K for home games sometimes.

Others probably depends on their team to some degree.

Not arguing that any Power confernce team would give us a bump in attendance, because they certainyl will But just saying there is a smaller group of teams that will push Allegiant into the upper decks.

Iowa State didn't get us past to 40K mark, and this was probably one of their most anticipated seasons in years.

There was the COVID factor to be fair, but still.

Uof A can struggle to get 40K for home games sometimes.

Others probably depends on their team to some degree.

Not arguing that any Power confernce team would give us a bump in attendance, because they certainyl will But just saying there is a smaller group of teams that will push Allegiant into the upper decks.

Covid had a lot to do with it.

It's also a a longer commute so to speak from Aimes Iowa to Vegas vs Tucson, Phoenix, Southern and Northern Cal..

At the very least we would/should push over 30k-35k with the majority of Pac12 schools, especially with Covid restrictions and the overall fear of it subsiding..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT