ADVERTISEMENT

QBs Who’s in the lead?

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX
Wondering if anyone is separating themselves? Not sure how much can or should be shared, but this is a big part of our season IMO.

• QB 6'3" 215 lbs TR

Matthew Sluka

Senior Locust Valley, NY Kellenberg Memorial HS Holy Cross
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Matthew Sluka

• QB 6'1" 205 lbs TR

Hajj-Malik Williams

Senior Atlanta, GA Hapeville Charter HS / U.S. Military Prep Campbell
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Hajj-Malik Williams

• QB 6'3" 230 lbs 2L

Cameron Friel

Senior Kahalu'u, HI Kailuah HS
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Cameron Friel

• QB 6'2" 185 lbs HS

Gael Ochoa

Freshman El Paso, TX Pebble Hills HS
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Gael Ochoa

• QB 6'1" 200 lbs RS

Lucas Lenhoff

Redshirt Freshman Charlotte, NC Myers HS
    Full Bio

Wondering if anyone is separating themselves? Not sure how much can or should be shared, but this is a big part of our season IMO.

• QB 6'3" 215 lbs TR

Matthew Sluka

Senior Locust Valley, NY Kellenberg Memorial HS Holy Cross
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Matthew Sluka

• QB 6'1" 205 lbs TR

Hajj-Malik Williams

Senior Atlanta, GA Hapeville Charter HS / U.S. Military Prep Campbell
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Hajj-Malik Williams

• QB 6'3" 230 lbs 2L

Cameron Friel

Senior Kahalu'u, HI Kailuah HS
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Cameron Friel

• QB 6'2" 185 lbs HS

Gael Ochoa

Freshman El Paso, TX Pebble Hills HS
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Gael Ochoa

• QB 6'1" 200 lbs RS

Lucas Lenhoff

Redshirt Freshman Charlotte, NC Myers HS
    Full Bio
It is the key to the season, imo.

Not enough separation yet. If any, towards Sluka right now but not enough to think there’s a true leader just yet.

Not speculation.

When does practice start for next season or has it started already?
I think officials start on 7/31? Maybe I’m wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

If I was a workout/practice onlooker the way I could tell who was in the lead would be to tally and see who gets the least, “are you f**king stupid?” glares from Marion after a play.

So I don't have any real inside info, just get bored and twitter mine and look for clues. Seems like Hajj-Malik has a big lead with leadership and has shown a pretty good grasp of the offense and shown better-than-expected accuracy throwing the ball. I can't verify the veracity of anything--it's just hearsay analysis, but @reblife702 isn't the only person that thinks HMW will be starting week one.

Of course, things can change when there is competition. Some people wilt under the pressure of true competition.

So I don't have any real inside info, just get bored and twitter mine and look for clues. Seems like Hajj-Malik has a big lead with leadership and has shown a pretty good grasp of the offense and shown better-than-expected accuracy throwing the ball. I can't verify the veracity of anything--it's just hearsay analysis, but @reblife702 isn't the only person that thinks HMW will be starting week one.

Of course, things can change when there is competition. Some people wilt under the pressure of true competition.
Odds are that there is enough experience and ability with the existing QB's that at least one will come out and have a good August. As long as we can find one serviceable QB, then I can see UNLV having a good season.

To be transparent, HMW is in the lead as of this posting, but we think Sluka will start game 1. Sluka has not had the true opportunity to show his talent but will be able to do so once camp opens. HMW is a great leader, especially in the community, but that was his plan from beginning. He is making it hard for the coaches to turn away from him. We dont think that will be enough. Sluka is catching up in terms of leadership; he just doesnt publicize it on social media.

We are in trouble if HMW is QB.

I saw him two years ago while he was at Arkansas.

@lvrebalum2012 you didn't go with all of us to the Campbell vs. Arkansas game a couple years back?

I don't see us in trouble if he's named the starter. I just finished watching a bunch of videos on him. He makes pretty good/quick decisions and has a strong arm.

Last edited:
It is a crowed field that will separate within the first few weeks when practice starts in August!
Horse Racing Jockey GIF

Reactions: reagan21
Co

HMW is actually less athletic than he looks and has a better arm than at first glance.

I was brushing him off prematurely. I think HMW and Sluka are good options, each for different reasons.
I thought I heard somewhere on this board that the QB at Arkansas from 2 years ago was coming here.

I thought it was him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT