ADVERTISEMENT

QB that UNLV needs to go after

rebelx

qwerty
May 29, 2001
The deep recesses of my mind
twitter.com
Okay... so I've pumped up a few my local Utah guys over the years, really wishing that UNLV staff would take a look them. Cammon Cooper graduated HS in 2018 (actually graduated early at the winter break, but his class was 2018) was one that for a few years I kept coming on this board to talk up... I emailed UNLV's recruiting coordinator, the QB coach, and others.... honestly, don't think they ever looked at him, even before the bigger schools came calling... he ended up at Washington State.

Then last year, my neighbor, Boone Abbott (a kid that my son played HS baseball with for a few years), began to blow up. Unfortunately, until his Sr. year he didn't play QB much for varsity... his JV stats were unreal, but it was JV... He was stuck behind a talented QB that graduated a year before who himself signed to play QB at Weber State.... but Boone, from the get-go of his Sr. year, put up video game numbers.... I had already did the same thing with Boone that I did with Cooper... emailing staff, etc... but as the numbers kept growing and small FBS & big FCS schools started offering, I blitz'ed the staff every so often with emails... UNLV got involved a little (probably not because of me, but possibly?), but nothing serious and never offered.... Boone signed with Hawaii, and excited to see what he does there.

I haven't mis-assessed a QB yet... so on that note.....

...the current QB from up here that our staff REALLY needs to start recruiting. Maddux "Maddog" Madsen. He's going to break school & state records... BUT, like Boone, he probably won't be making the rounds at schools' camps as much as he could/should because Maddux plays baseball too.

Maddux come from a big baseball family.... his dad is currently UVU's baseball coach, his older brother plays baseball at UVU (and is legit, not daddy ball), his uncle was coach of Eastern Utah (until this offseason)... & Maddux probably has a chance to get a high major offer in baseball & football.... but will his lack of FB camping keep him off the radars and rankings (similar to Boone?)... it's very possible. Right now the kid is a SOPHOMORE and already putting up huge numbers... sky's the limit, and somebody needs to get in there and recruit this kid, maybe lock him up before others swoop in....

Here's his Maxpreps page https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/maddux-madsen/CeZ46MT6EemAzfp8ouYFiw/football/stats.htm#year=19-20

if football isn't interested, maybe the baseball team can come take a look.... he's named after Greg Maddux (he's got 4 brothers. Their names: Mick, McGwire, Mays & Murphy ... like I said, big baseball family).

If these guys are so good why aren't they playing for BYU, Utah or Utah State?

If these guys are so good why aren't they playing for BYU, Utah or Utah State?
Cammon Cooper chose between Washington State, Utah and BYU.... He liked Leach a lot. He was a huge Utah fan too, but really like Leach's sell. Abbott, as I said, didn't start until his Sr. year, didn't camp a lot because of baseball... but had a bunch of smaller FBS school come after him hard before Hawaii offered him... and Hawaii that runs the same type of offense as Leach didn't have a spot for Abbott either, and already signed a QB, but the more they saw him the more they felt he was exactly what they were looking for.... BYU & Utah both offfered preferred walk-ons, and Utah State offered. He came on so strong and neither of the schools had a scholarship for him.

I am not sure why everyone thinks we need to run and look for new QB's, we have several really good future QB's, including Oblad, who just need to be developed. While Oblad made some mistakes last night, a lot of his stats where based on based coaching calls. His one interception was due to the coaching staff having him throw on 4th and 22 with seven minutes left. What did they think would happen? They also have a really good QB recruit, who may or may not stay when/if Sanchez is fired, who could be the QB of the future for UNLV.

I am not sure why everyone thinks we need to run and look for new QB's, we have several really good future QB's, including Oblad, who just need to be developed. While Oblad made some mistakes last night, a lot of his stats where based on based coaching calls. His one interception was due to the coaching staff having him throw on 4th and 22 with seven minutes left. What did they think would happen? They also have a really good QB recruit, who may or may not stay when/if Sanchez is fired, who could be the QB of the future for UNLV.

Sanchez' future puts all current commits on shaky ground.

Let's assume Sanchez is terminated. And nobody currently on the roster transfers.

You return

Armani, Gilliam, Oblad, Grayson and Mumphrey.

It will all come down to what type of offense any potential new coach might want to run.

Maybe he likes none of them. Who knows..

Reactions: RebelinWA and NSU67
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT