ADVERTISEMENT

QB Jack Smith backs off pledge

BlairAngulo

6th man
Jun 8, 2012
Three-star QB Jack Smith from Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe has decided to decommit from UNLV and re-open his recruitment to fully assess all options.

Some other programs have recently expressed interest, including Iowa State, and Smith tells me he wants to weigh everything after his team goes through playoffs. Mountain Pointe is highly seeded heading into the postseason.

Three-star QB Jack Smith from Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe has decided to decommit from UNLV and re-open his recruitment to fully assess all options.

Some other programs have recently expressed interest, including Iowa State, and Smith tells me he wants to weigh everything after his team goes through playoffs. Mountain Pointe is highly seeded heading into the postseason.
Did or does any of this decision have to do with UNLV'S pursuit of JUCO QB Richard Lagow and also offering another 3 star HS QB Armani Rogers? Not blaming the kid for exploring his options just curious.

Hmmmm. Never like to lose a recruit. Still may come but that's a big hit. I'm sure interest in Lagow and recent move up of his visit plus interest from P5 is affecting his decision. Even if Lagow was to commit Jake Smith would be set up nicely to compete immediately as well as take reigns early in his development.

First set back in recruiting for Sanchez outside of Otukolo. I was excited about Jack Smith too. Damn it.

Hmmmm. Never like to lose a recruit. Still may come but that's a big hit. I'm sure interest in Lagow and recent move up of his visit plus interest from P5 is affecting his decision. Even if Lagow was to commit Jake Smith would be set up nicely to compete immediately as well as take reigns early in his development.

First set back in recruiting for Sanchez outside of Otukolo. I was excited about Jack Smith too. Damn it.
Another HS Qb being offered may have played a bigger part in this. One of the chances you take offering multiple HS QBs is losing one as well.

Not saying this is the case with Smith and not insinuating anything here. Sometimes a staff can grow cold on a kid. Offering another kid in the same grad class especially at the QB position can be a sign of that.

I like Smith as well and hope he is still considering UNLV.

Last edited:

Who is to say it is a set back? We are recruiting other QB's. I'd say it's a sign that he coaches aren't just happy with Smith as the only QB recruit for next year. Obviously since they are going after a JUCO they want an option to play immediately next year. Smith isn't that guy.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Who is to say it is a set back? We are recruiting other QB's. I'd say it's a sign that he coaches aren't just happy with Smith as the only QB recruit for next year. Obviously since they are going after a JUCO they want an option to play immediately next year. Smith isn't that guy.
That's the way that makes most sense with me. Maybe UNLV has become very strong with Lagow or some other JC QB and circles know it but fans don't.

I think we need somebody pretty damn close to ready next season and it isn't going to be a lightly recruited freshman. IMO.

Lagow appears to be the #1 target. Plenty of other High School QB's on the radar as well. Will be interesting when all names of visitors start popping up. We should those updates in the next few weeks as the visits start piling up.

I get what LasVegasReb is saying, it is disappointing to see recruits back off of a verbal commitment, especially if it is one that you are personally high on or think can help the team.

I also think Joe and Rebelbacker probably have the right of it.

I think there is a possibility the staff may have cooled on Smith or Smith may not like that UNLV offered another QB from his class out of California. Name escapes me at the moment but he is also considered a three star recruit.

I don't think UNLV pursuing Lagow is really the issue. Most players especially QBs figure on a redshirt year anyway. Let's say Lagow commits to and plays for UNLV and is the guy for the next two years. That would mean Smith would potentially red shirt and then sit one year. He would be a red shirt sophomore competing for the starting job. Not all that unusual really.

Offering another QB in his same class may have lead Smith to believe the staff wasn't as committed to him as he might have liked.

What we lost:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1451102/jack-smith
6'1 185 with a 4.52 40

Incoming class recruit candidate, former cal commit:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1654770/armani-rogers
6'5 203 with a 4.72 40

Juco monster, former Connecticut and Oklahoma state player:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/586266/richard-lagow
6'6 240 with a 4.88 40

The current line up makes sense. Sneed is a slower version of Palandech with a much smoother arm. Lagow is what Nick Sherry should have been if he had been allowed to develop. Thompson is similar to Decker.

Lagow would be good. I hope we get Rogers too though.
Probably better chance to land a Juco and a HS guy than 2 HS guys in the same class.
What we lost:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1451102/jack-smith
6'1 185 with a 4.52 40

Incoming class recruit candidate, former cal commit:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1654770/armani-rogers
6'5 203 with a 4.72 40

Juco monster, former Connecticut and Oklahoma state player:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/586266/richard-lagow
6'6 240 with a 4.88 40

The current line up makes sense. Sneed is a slower version of Palandech with a much smoother arm. Lagow is what Nick Sherry should have been if he had been allowed to develop. Thompson is similar to Decker.

I think we have a better chance of landing Lagow and Rogers than we do landing Rogers or Smith and a second HS kid. Especially if both of the HS kids are considered to be on par in terms of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT