ADVERTISEMENT

Program Interest

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
The Cougar Football Forum shows a huge amount more interest than our board. For instance they currently have 1,800 posts on the UNLV game week thread. We have 261 on our game thread. ( This isn't an absolute comparison in that we have more of our posts spread over several related topics and their "Game Week" posts and more concentrated in one place. But adding all our posts concerning Houston we aren't even close to 1/3 the Houston board )

Not sure what this means. I know the city and surrounding area of Houston has double the population of Las Vegas and surrounding area. ( Houston being the 5th largest Metro area in the U.S. Plus, when you go out to 100 miles the difference gets even more drastic.) But, I have always used Houston as my example of a school that has similar issues to Las Vegas for entering a Power Conference. ( Urban school with pro sports competition). Up until last year when they entered the B12 their attendance had been down for the previous 5/6 years. But there was a time when 35,000 to 40,000 was the norm when they were regularly ranked and had near annual bowl appearances.

I think the interest in UNLV ( as demonstrated by the meager forum activity, minimal newspaper coverage and weak attendance) needs to increase drastically for us to think about getting an invite to a power conference. I'm hoping more success will drive it.

The Cougar Football Forum shows a huge amount more interest than our board. For instance they currently have 1,800 posts on the UNLV game week thread. We have 261 on our game thread. ( This isn't an absolute comparison in that we have more of our posts spread over several related topics and their "Game Week" posts and more concentrated in one place. But adding all our posts concerning Houston we aren't even close to 1/3 the Houston board )

Not sure what this means. I know the city and surrounding area of Houston has double the population of Las Vegas and surrounding area. ( Houston being the 5th largest Metro area in the U.S. Plus, when you go out to 100 miles the difference gets even more drastic.) But, I have always used Houston as my example of a school that has similar issues to Las Vegas for entering a Power Conference. ( Urban school with pro sports competition). Up until last year when they entered the B12 their attendance had been down for the previous 5/6 years. But there was a time when 35,000 to 40,000 was the norm when they were regularly ranked and had near annual bowl appearances.

I think the interest in UNLV ( as demonstrated by the meager forum activity, minimal newspaper coverage and weak attendance) needs to increase drastically for us to think about getting an invite to a power conference. I'm hoping more success will drive it.
I hear you. However for the folks in LV for awhile, you can only burn so many bridges. All this could have been done a long time ago. It also helps to not have a AD dept. full of BYU grads.

This is also why OSU and WAZZU both have a head up on UNLV in terms of P4 invite. People like to make fun of the Pac 2, and it is fun, but it is hard to reverse decades of interest for big state schools. They were left out for a reason, but our random superiority complex after 1 good year is kinda funny.
There is potential at UNLV, no question. More of it needs to be realized for us to be a real candidate.
But Vegas fans are too cool to show up for anything other than a gauranteed winner. Some of that is the namodic nature of the population, but there are plenty of local folks that went to UNLV that just don't care.
Yes UNLV needs to win, but we also need more support.
Houston is a good comp. Most of the local fan base are fans of other Texas schools, even adjacent states like OU and LSU. But Hiuston is so much bigger than Las Vegas. Vegas is more dense, but it is an island of a population in a desert. Houston spreads out to many towns that all claim Houston. Just the city limits of Houston is bigger than the state of Rhode Island. UH also has pretty big enrollment at over 45k.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Their entry into the P4 would very much resemble ours, should it happen. There's a ton of similarities.

Getting the first G5 Championship invite would not hurt a bit. I know Odom believes.

I think the interest in UNLV ( as demonstrated by the meager forum activity, minimal newspaper coverage and weak attendance) needs to increase drastically for us to think about getting an invite to a power conference. I'm hoping more success will drive it. As a side note it appears that several thousand UNLV fans attended the game in Houston, and the coach even commented on the number of UNLV fans in attendance.
Doesn't appear that Houston has very good attendance with 25,750 showing up to watch them play UNLV. My expectation is UNLV will have a similar number of people attend against Utah Tech, and UNLV is a big jump up from Utah Tech in regards to being a draw! My expectation is if UNLV becomes ranked you will see very similar attendance by the end of the year as in the past at Houston.

But again their attendance coming off a down year pretty close to what our good attendance was last year during a good year.
I hope the attendance is better than that, but honestly I think it could be very close to that.
Also UNLV is not a good drawing team for them. It's like us hosting the 3rd best team from the MAC or something

Doesn't appear that Houston has very good attendance with 25,750 showing up to watch them play UNLV. My expectation is UNLV will have a similar number of people attend against Utah Tech, and UNLV is a big jump up from Utah Tech in regards to being a draw! My expectation is if UNLV becomes ranked you will see very similar attendance by the end of the year as in the past at Houston.
There was definitely not anything close to 25K at the game. I would compare it to the Silver Bowl crowds before we moved to Allegiant.

There was definitely not anything close to 25K at the game. I would compare it to the Silver Bowl crowds before we moved to Allegiant.
By the time the Syracuse game rolled around. We might get closer to 40K.

But again their attendance coming off a down year pretty close to what our good attendance was last year during a good year.
I hope the attendance is better than that, but honestly I think it could be very close to that.
Also UNLV is not a good drawing team for them. It's like us hosting the 3rd best team from the MAC or something
For a Big12 team, their attendance was terrible. Doesn’t matter who they were playing. It was their home opener.

Only Big12 team that had a lower attendance was Kansas, because they were playing at a soccer stadium with 20k seats (they sold out).

UNLV is going to beat Kansas this year. Coach O have been preparing for this game through recruiting....must my guess.

That was one good year after four mostly bad decades!

UNLV is going to beat Kansas this year. Coach O have been preparing for this game through recruiting....must my guess.
The first time that i pray that your are right. WE beat them and we are going to be TOP 25. Imagine if we could just put some sustainability in our program. IMO we have the most to work with outside METRO areas that are TOP 20 or fanbases that have a long history of tradition. Vegas is a brand in itself. Put it all together and we have more potential than 95% of college football. EASILY! We need to keep the flash. Vegas does not like boring play.

Reserving that judgement till they play Illinois this weekend... If they handle Illinois then I dont like our chances, even improved as we are. There isnt a game the following week that they would be overlooking us for, so We will be getting their best undivided attention.
They toyed with their FCS opponent for a while and benched JD6 for a long period of the game with a comfortable lead. Need to see them vs a decent Big 10 team.

Reactions: LocoRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT