ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: IF we can be a TOP 40 team consistently .

How many people show up on average?

• 10,000-1

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 20,000-10,001

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 30,00-20,001

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 40,000-30,001

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • 50,000-40,001

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • sky is the limit.

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WTF is that suppose to convey? Is the stadium completed?

There are a lot of factors that affect attendance, and winning is one of them. Have a winning record in October and November and a lot more people will be in the seats for games like UNR, SDSU, and Boise State. But a lot of those people are already counted in the attendance figures since the season tickets were sold.

The outlook on attendance the critical first three Allegiant years has taken recent hits, not just because of the impact "social distancing" is going to have on Cal and ASU attendance in '20, but the recent announcement of the rest of the visiting opponents for '21 and '22: Eastern Washington, Iowa St, North Texas St, and Idaho State... how many fans are going to travel here for those games, and how many locals are going to get excited for those opponents? What happened to bringing in PAC12?

Long term keeping a fan base is going to take more alumni that will go to games regardless of record, and to develop that UNLV needs more students showing up at games. So now is the time to start building student attendance. It's free for them to attend, just get them to want to!

There are a lot of factors that affect attendance, and winning is one of them. Have a winning record in October and November and a lot more people will be in the seats for games like UNR, SDSU, and Boise State. But a lot of those people are already counted in the attendance figures since the season tickets were sold.

The outlook on attendance the critical first three Allegiant years has taken recent hits, not just because of the impact "social distancing" is going to have on Cal and ASU attendance in '20, but the recent announcement of the rest of the visiting opponents for '21 and '22: Eastern Washington, Iowa St, North Texas St, and Idaho State... how many fans are going to travel here for those games, and how many locals are going to get excited for those opponents? What happened to bringing in PAC12?

Long term keeping a fan base is going to take more alumni that will go to games regardless of record, and to develop that UNLV needs more students showing up at games. So now is the time to start building student attendance. It's free for them to attend, just get them to want to!

Iowa State brought quite a few last time they were here...

Iowa State will bring a good crowd, but Eastern Washington, Idaho State and North Texas St. are going to do nothing positive for fans support. As for those teams being scheduled, I have not found anything that shows any of those teams on the future UNLV schedule? https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/unlv/

I would still love to know where it shows that any of those teams are even on the UNLV schedule with the exception of Iowa State?

Iowa State will bring a good crowd, but Eastern Washington, Idaho State and North Texas St. are going to do nothing positive for fans support. As for those teams being scheduled, I have not found anything that shows any of those teams on the future UNLV schedule? https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/unlv/

Scheduling was discussed at the Stadium Authority meeting this week and those were the games listed on the agenda released earlier in the week and not changed at the meeting. Mark Anderson included it in an article in the Las Vegas Review Journal this week. I suppose it's possible they could change if P5 opponents have dates open up, but most P5 schools have their schedules set for the next several seasons.

Sept. 2 — Eastern Washington, Allegiant Stadium
Sept. 18 — Iowa State, Allegiant Stadium

Sept. 3 — Idaho State, Allegiant Stadium
Sept. 17 — North Texas, Allegiant Stadium

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolv RU
Eastern Washington is a lower division program. That is a really bad game to schedule for UNLV.

Thank you for clearing up the recent scheduling of those games!

That’s a terrible home schedule for 2022. Those teams definitely won’t help with attendance but I can see why they did it with 2 tough road games already booked. Year 3 of CMA they want to make sure we’re bowl eligible by then. Idaho State and North Texas should set us up at 2-2 OOC heading into conference play.

I hope 2022 is the exception. I’d like to see 1 P5 team come to Allegiant every year.

Reactions: 220reb
Eastern Washington is a lower division program. That is a really bad game to schedule for UNLV.

The AD has been pretty quiet about scheduling, and as far as I know none of those games have been announced, just leaked out because all contracted games through 2027 had to be listed for long-term stadium scheduling purposes. Probably the reason they have not been announced is that it's not an impressive lineup, especially since the Joint Use agreement directed UNLV to try to get P5 opponents.

Not announcing the games also gave UNLV wiggle room on shifting game dates. It is very suspicious that the Eastern Washington game is going to be played on a Thursday... was that also a concession that was included to get the Raiders to allow the ASU game?

The entire meeting can be streamed at:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/busin...ty-to-address-unlv-football-schedule-2033117/

and the UNLV schedule is discussed as agenda item 10 at about the 1:11:30 mark. There isn't much discussion other than about moving the CSU game and including the ASU game, but the schedule and future schedule are shown for five minutes then there was a vote to approve.

10. Review and Potentially Approve the Proposed UNLV Football Schedule for the 2020 Season
at Allegiant Stadium and for the Priority Home Games Scheduled for the 2021 Through 2027
Seasons, per Section 29(3)(g)(2)(IV) of Senate Bill 1 of the Nevada State Legislature (2016
Special Session) (for possible action)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolv RU

Why?

If Alabama can schedule the Citadel, UNLV can schedule Eastern Washington EWU has been a pretty solid FCS program.

If you are talking risk vs reward...Sure.
In general, nothing wrong with it.

Nobody but diehard fans will get excited to buy a ticket to watch UNLV play Eastern Washington in the new stadium. Alabama sells out their stadium for every game, UNLV is lucky to get over 20K to a game.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Nobody but diehard fans will get excited to buy a ticket to watch UNLV play Eastern Washington in the new stadium. Alabama sells out their stadium for every game, UNLV is lucky to get over 20K to a game.

I'm well aware of how many people UNLV gets at games. And one way to bury attendance is to start off the season poorly

I'm not suggesting cupcakes only, but going with a brutal schedule early and a poor start doesn't help either.

A decent mix can be had. Quality opponents plus a 'gimme' game is fine.

I'm well aware of how many people UNLV gets at games. And one way to bury attendance is to start off the season poorly

I'm not suggesting cupcakes only, but going with a brutal schedule early and a poor start doesn't help either.

A decent mix can be had. Quality opponents plus a 'gimme' game is fine.
Also trying to build a bowl eligible schedule is big for a program like UNLV. We have to do a body bag road game to pay the bills so having a softer home opponent can offset that. Though it may not draw many fans, still worth it for the season IMO.

Only time to do a murderous OOC if you think you have the squad to BCS bust/NY6 bowl, etc.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Also trying to build a bowl eligible schedule is big for a program like UNLV. We have to do a body bag road game to pay the bills so having a softer home opponent can offset that. Though it may not draw many fans, still worth it for the season IMO.

Only time to do a murderous OOC if you think you have the squad to BCS bust/NY6 bowl, etc.

I think so...

This next season is huge for UNLV in regards to showing the Big12 and Pac12 that UNLV is moving the athletic department to the level they need to be a viable addition. UNLV really needs to be allowed to have fans in attendance, and UNLV football needs to find a way to squeeze out a winning, or at least 6 win season. I know UNLV isn't expected to reach that goal, but the wiggle room before the door shuts on ever moving to the next level is getting smaller and smaller.

Considering a article came out that the average resale price for Raiders football single game tickets is expected to be right at $1000, which is well above any other team in the league, it is a great chance for UNLV to attract football fans that want to go to the new stadium, but can't afford to pony up the crazy high ticket prices of Raider's games. This should help assist ticket sales for not only locals who want to go to the stadium, but also tourist who may not be a fan of either team playing, but want to attend an event in the new stadium.

The best chance for UNLV to improve conferences in the near future is for the AAC to again try to become coast-to-coast (like they did ten years ago when SDSU and BSU had agreed to join but then instead what was at the time the Big East split into the AAC (football schools) and Big East (Catholic basketball schools)). For example, if the AAC went from 12 to 16 teams and added UNLV and three of: BSU, BYU, SDSU, CSU, or Air Force, those four teams could join Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane in a "West" division.

That expansion could help the AAC's TV value. The problem with the Big-12 and PAC-12 is the current members right now don't want to split the pie into more shares unless the teams they add increase the TV contract enough to make up for it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT