ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 7

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
So:

If the MWC is locked down. And the AAC is locked down. Just what football teams does the PAC 7 go to build up their conference? Won't they be looking at the same teams the MWC wants? It will be the battle for the Montana Twins.

Reactions: rickyb55
Asked the same in the other thread. If you take the MW schools off the table anybody left would be a pretty good black eye for the PAC in all of this.

The MW can pretty much take whoever they want, it’s all gonna suck balls anyway.

Names floated:

UCONN football only… maybe but they’re also in the AAC and I’d have to imagine at least some of the issues on why the others declined exist. It also doesn’t make any sense from the perspective that you’re already in a competitive conference with closer teams.

Gonzaga basketball only if you get another football school, so…

Hawaii football only… only mentioned because of the Gonzaga thing, but no.

Frankly anyone else I’ve seen mentioned would be an initial black eye and an absolute albatross around their necks no matter what they say. Additionally, if you were one of the unmentioned teams you’d be an absolute punchline and nobody would ever believed you belong. You take the money and opportunity of course, you just not what your lot is gonna be for a long while.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Fun part for them is they need 8 full members for NCAA championships, is my understanding. Not 7+an affiliate.

They must have one more full member. **IF** MWC and AAC are all locked down (firmly disbelieve they are. The right amount of money will change minds), they have to go CUSA or FCS for the last member. I have a hard time thinking BSU and SDSU are getting what they signed up for if they grab Montana schools, idaho, or Sac State.

By the time the dust is settled, it's a merger with MWC and Pac 12, much less money changing hands, and everyone loses.

Just like life.

Asked the same in the other thread. If you take the MW schools off the table anybody left would be a pretty good black eye for the PAC in all of this.

The MW can pretty much take whoever they want, it’s all gonna suck balls anyway.

Names floated:

UCONN football only… maybe but they’re also in the AAC and I’d have to imagine at least some of the issues on why the others declined exist. It also doesn’t make any sense from the perspective that you’re already in a competitive conference with closer teams.

Frankly anyone else I’ve seen mentioned would be an initial black eye and an absolute albatross around their necks no matter what they say. Additionally, if you were one of the unmentioned teams you’d be an absolute punchline and nobody would ever believed you belong. You take the money and opportunity of course, you just not what your lot is gonna be for a long while.
I'd guess that they'll either get a football only school, like UCONN (if that counts for taking them above the requirements to make them an official conference), or they'll get someone to come in at a lesser media share than the other 7. Could be an opportunity for a program in the short term, but it would put them in a bad spot for success long term if you're making less money than all the other teams.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
Fun part for them is they need 8 full members for NCAA championships, is my understanding. Not 7+an affiliate.

They must have one more full member. **IF** MWC and AAC are all locked down (firmly disbelieve they are. The right amount of money will change minds), they have to go CUSA or FCS for the last member. I have a hard time thinking BSU and SDSU are getting what they signed up for if they grab Montana schools, idaho, or Sac State.

By the time the dust is settled, it's a merger with MWC and Pac 12, much less money changing hands, and everyone loses.

Just like life.
Well I hope that it ends up as a merger. And yes, we are now in the same boat, and will be competing for the same 8th school, as well as any others.

It won’t happen but I’d forever be a Raiders fan if Sandra Morgan told the PAC to go play their championship game elsewhere. Better yet, give a sweetheart deal to the AAC for its championship game in exchange for inviting UNLV.

Well I hope that it ends up as a merger. And yes, we are now in the same boat, and will be competing for the same 8th school, as well as any others.
We're just hoping you keep paying us money until your front offices decide that this is the best course of action. 30 million dollars is going to go a long way for us... How much money are you expecting from that Pac 2 war chest to help with that 120 million debt youve got?

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
Merger won’t happen because certain schools are shady and not good partners. It’s business I understand but that’s also why the mw is proactive and kept unlv and afa in the conference.

The PAC got turned down from SIX schools yesterday. A crushing blow to an upstart conference and any idea of a grand tv deal just went up in smoke. You guys are a regional conference that now has to compete with the MWC to invite UTEP and Texas State. Ha!

The AAC and MWC media partners are not going to go quietly into the night either, ESPN and CBS will make sure that they have a viable programming strategy and not just hand everything over to the CW.

Names floated:

So maybe the Hawaii thing isn’t so far fetched…

Read an article that the mayor of Honolulu, or wherever, has a lobbying group put together that’s been lobbying the PAC 2 for more than a month… talk about “bad faith” if the university knew about it…

The kicker of it though is that apparently Hawaii’s exit fee is only $3.5 million.

Now the penalty to the PAC 2 would still be tacked on, but that MIGHT change the calculus a tiny bit… especially if you add in the Gonzaga wrinkle.

Reactions: reagan21
So maybe the Hawaii thing isn’t so far fetched…

Read an article that the mayor of Honolulu, or wherever, has a lobbying group put together that’s been lobbying the PAC 2 for more than a month… talk about “bad faith” if the university knew about it…

The kicker of it though is that apparently Hawaii’s exit fee is only $3.5 million.

Now the penalty to the PAC 2 would still be tacked on, but that MIGHT change the calculus a tiny bit… especially if you add in the Gonzaga wrinkle.
I’m 45, of course my Gonzaga has wrinkles.

• Haha
Reactions: oneepstein
Apparently Sac St. is putting together a proposal to provide funding for a stadium and invest in football to attract the Pac 12...
They'll fit right in. Might as well change their name from PAC to "States" Conference. I thought the U.S. only have 50 states but now we all witness to these towns trying to be a state.

• Haha
They'll fit right in. Might as well change their name from PAC to "States" Conference. I thought the U.S. only have 50 states but now we all witness to these towns trying to be a state.
If they add Portland St and the powerhouse of the Idaho St. Bengals they can balance out with 10 teams...

I believe I read that the MW actually needs 2 schools because you have to 8 full members. If that is accurate, football only members don’t count toward the 8. Of course Hawaii could bring all of their sports over, but I think they also prefer their setup for cost reasons. 9 makes the most sense anyway. New Mexico St, UTEP, Texas St and perhaps Sam Houston St are the most likely to flll the vacant MW/PAC slots unless some FCS schools want to make the jump.

I believe I read that the MW actually needs 2 schools because you have to 8 full members. If that is accurate, football only members don’t count toward the 8. Of course Hawaii could bring all of their sports over, but I think they also prefer their setup for cost reasons. 9 makes the most sense anyway. New Mexico St, UTEP, Texas St and perhaps Sam Houston St are the most likely to flll the vacant MW/PAC slots unless some FCS schools want to make the jump.
correct, MW needs 2 more full members at the moment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT