ADVERTISEMENT

One name I would like to see in the mix....(if TJ does leave)

RebelSoldat

Retired Number
Nov 17, 2012
Virginia
Maybe I'm way off course here but John Thompson III is a very attractive name for me and it fits the profile of the type of coach we should be looking for. Someone who has had success with a similar program to UNLV (Georgetown), has a good coaching pedigree (Pete Carril, Team USA assistant with Coach K, JT Jr, etc), a veteran coach who might be willing to take a job like UNLV's and stabilize the ship for the long-term. Would he be interested? I'm not sure, but I recall him being interested in one of our previous searches. His last few years at Georgetown were a bit mediocre, I admit, but I'm sure he learned a few lessons from that. If not JT3, then we definitely need a veteran coach like him.

Good call out. Question: is he still connected enough to put a team together from probably close to ground zero?

There is going to be about a month only to put together a staff and team for next year if TJO leaves. So if a good coach does not have those connections, you cannot hire them at this time.

Good call out. Question: is he still connected enough to put a team together from probably close to ground zero?

There is going to be about a month only to put together a staff and team for next year if TJO leaves. So if a good coach does not have those connections, you cannot hire them at this time.

He's been around the game for a long time and has connections through USA basketball. I would say yes

Not my first choice. But smart and a much better and more experienced coach than UNLV's last 3 hires. Also, took Georgetown to a final 4, and both Princeton and Georgetown to ncaa's. I anticipate he would recruit very well. But not a fan of the Princeton offense.

Not my first choice. But smart and a much better and more experienced coach than UNLV's last 3 hires. Also, took Georgetown to a final 4, and both Princeton and Georgetown to ncaa's. I anticipate he would recruit very well. But not a fan of the Princeton offense.
UNLV fans need to move past labels and assumptions about certain things. I don't care what offense we use as long as we can get this program back on track. If people think Todd Simon is good enough, why not a proven winner like JT3?

Terrible choice. I’ll be at Rawson Neal Hospital if he is even being considered.

Easy Pass

Reactions: Doneoett
UNLV fans need to move past labels and assumptions about certain things. I don't care what offense we use as long as we can get this program back on track. If people think Todd Simon is good enough, why not a proven winner like JT3?

What more can I say. Not my first choice and not a fan of his offense. But he can coach and recruit. Also, more successful and experienced than any UNLV coach since Lon Kruger. UNLV could do a lot worse.

JT3 hasn't been a college coach since he destroyed Georgetown in 2017. We may not know what it is, but there is a reason he is currently a manager at some sports entertainment company.

JT3 hasn't been a college coach since he destroyed Georgetown in 2017. We may not know what it is, but there is a reason he is currently a manager at some sports entertainment company.

He was an assistant for Team USA for a while. Probably because he's looking for the right fit and not some random program?

Steve Lavin. 8 tournaments in 12 years as a head coach. 4 Sweet 16s and an elite 8. Shown interest the last 2 times the job opened. I would give him a look

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT