ADVERTISEMENT

One Consistent

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Our defense sucks every year.

I went back 10 years and searched for our Total Defense ranking. We averaged 107th nationally. Our best was 80th (2016-2017) and our worst was 123rd (2014-2015). During the same time period we were 85th nationally for total offense.

If the next coach can just keep our offense as it is and get the defense up to @ 50th nationally we can go bowling most years. We won't win divisions, bet we'll get to @ 7 wins.

If we go to a bowl 3 years out of 4 the next coach would be considered a wild success.

Reactions: rebel5280
The next coach either goes to a bowl game quickly or it is time to clean house of much of the athletic department which has one of the highest budgets in the MWC with zero success!

Our defense sucks every year.

I went back 10 years and searched for our Total Defense ranking. We averaged 107th nationally. Our best was 80th (2016-2017) and our worst was 123rd (2014-2015). During the same time period we were 85th nationally for total offense.

If the next coach can just keep our offense as it is and get the defense up to @ 50th nationally we can go bowling most years. We won't win divisions, bet we'll get to @ 7 wins.

If we go to a bowl 3 years out of 4 the next coach would be considered a wild success.

It has been so bad for so long it is hard to figure out.

Last season was statistically one of the worst for UNLV in the last 15 years and this season it's on similar pace.

Sacks and forced turnovers are behind last year.

They have only shaved off 1 point from 37 to 36 in ppg against.

Run defense is giving up a similar amount of yards. Pass defense is slightly better but that may be because teams have been able to run the ball so well. And a lot of the struggles in pass coverage are directly tied to an inability to get any pressure on the opposing QB.

Compound that this year with the offense dropping from 29 ppg down to 24 (or 26 I forget) and you see exactly why this team is sitting at 2-5.

If the AD decides to move on from Coach Sanchez at the end of the year, I think they should seriously consider a replacement who comes from the defensive side of the ball.

There are enough pieces on offense to put enough points on the board to win games despite the struggles on offense this season.

But you simply aren't going to win a lot of games surrendering 30+.

It has been so bad for so long it is hard to figure out.

Last season was statistically one of the worst for UNLV in the last 15 years and this season it's on similar pace.

Sacks and forced turnovers are behind last year.

They have only shaved off 1 point from 37 to 36 in ppg against.

Run defense is giving up a similar amount of yards. Pass defense is slightly better but that may be because teams have been able to run the ball so well. And a lot of the struggles in pass coverage are directly tied to an inability to get any pressure on the opposing QB.

Compound that this year with the offense dropping from 29 ppg down to 24 (or 26 I forget) and you see exactly why this team is sitting at 2-5.

If the AD decides to move on from Coach Sanchez at the end of the year, I think they should seriously consider a replacement who comes from the defensive side of the ball.

There are enough pieces on offense to put enough points on the board to win games despite the struggles on offense this season.

But you simply aren't going to win a lot of games surrendering 30+.

Agreed. Seems like it's generally more common to hear that an offense that lacks punch puts a lot of pressure on a defense to come up with stops. I think it's the other way around in our case. The offense feels like it has to score every possession because the defense only gets off the field after the opposition scores. Can't say our defense was worn out against FSU. Look at these scoring drives. A few shots and they were in the end zone.

2 plays, 83 yards, 0:26
3 plays, 58 yards, 1:20
5 plays, 75 yards, 1:03
3 plays, 67 yards, 1:22
1 play, 1 yard, 0:05
3 plays, 23 yards, 1:34

We did force them to punt twice. Way to rise up, defense!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Agreed. Seems like it's generally more common to hear that an offense that lacks punch puts a lot of pressure on a defense to come up with stops. I think it's the other way around in our case. The offense feels like it has to score every possession because the defense only gets off the field after the opposition scores. Can't say our defense was worn out against FSU. Look at these scoring drives. A few shots and they were in the end zone.

2 plays, 83 yards, 0:26
3 plays, 58 yards, 1:20
5 plays, 75 yards, 1:03
3 plays, 67 yards, 1:22
1 play, 1 yard, 0:05
3 plays, 23 yards, 1:34

We did force them to punt twice. Way to rise up, defense!

Here's my super in depth analysis.

It's just not good enough.

Here's a fun stat...

Last season Outsie, Mann and McCoy all finished with 4 sacks leading the team.

This season one player has more than one sack and currently leads the team in sacks with two..

Want to take a guess who?

I'll save you the time. It's Bryce Jackson a DB who had two in the first game of the year.

Here's my super in depth analysis.

It's just not good enough.

Here's a fun stat...

Last season Outsie, Mann and McCoy all finished with 4 sacks leading the team.

This season one player has more than one sack and currently leads the team in sacks with two..

Want to take a guess who?

I'll save you the time. It's Bryce Jackson a DB who had two in the first game of the year.
Yeah, but getting through that great Thunderbird Indestructible Wall of Raging Muscle is quite a feat, so credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Yeah, but getting through that great Thunderbird Indestructible Wall of Raging Muscle is quite a feat, so credit where credit is due.

My question, how is a DB who has barely played since week one, leading your team in sacks?

With 2.

Last edited:
My question, how is a DB who has barely played since week one, leading your team in sacks?

With 2.
I have a question for you. I never see our receivers stop and settle into an open area or run a curl route to pick up 1'st downs. Maybe a little late in the season to be bringing it up but basketball got me upset today.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I have a question for you. I never see our receivers stop and settle into an open area or run a curl route to pick up 1'st downs. Maybe a little late in the season to be bringing it up but basketball got me upset today.

Not sure.

Coach keeps saying they need to be more aggressive/physical with receivers.

But they still seem to play off more times than not..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT