ADVERTISEMENT

On to Idaho: Areas for Improvement

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
What do we need to improve if we want to get a win at the Kibbie Dome this Saturday? Based on the general feeling around here, I'm guessing that many would say: "Everything" or "Get a new coaching staff"...

Well, let's set that aside for a minute and get specific. Here's my list, roughly, with the most critical improvements needed listed at the top:

- Tackle. We gave up WAY too many yards after contact. And I don't just mean a guy getting an outstretched arm on a runner. We missed squared-up tackles...sometimes with 2+ guys having a shot at the ball carrier.

- Procedural penalties have gotta go. The good news is that the painful, point-costing penalties were all in the first half of the Howard game. So hopefully our new QB and new center combination have figured things out and this won't be such a glaring issue going forward. False starts very directly costed us 8 points against Howard.

- 3rd down defense. This was sometimes connected to the poor tackling listed above, but in general, you've gotta get off the field when you force teams into 3rd and 5+ yards, at least. Unfortunately, this has been an issue at UNLV going as far back as I can remember. 3rd down is not just another down. Fanatical effort is needed on that play to get off the field and stop Idaho momentum.

- Wide Receivers: I'm calling them out. You think you're the best group in this conference? Prove it. I expect perfection from this group. No drops. Not with a freshman QB. If he gets the ball to you, you catch it, without exception. No false starts. Block downfield. The play before CWilliams lost the fumble-6, Williams had a big run, which should have gone to the house if Woods made ONE block downfield. Instead, he didn't put a hand on him, Williams went down at the 20, and we gave up 6 points the next play. Once you catch the ball, put that emeffer away like your life depended on it; ball security -- I'm looking at you, Freshman.

- Relatedly, Cotton and Rogers need to work together to get more wideouts involved more often. All too often, when we did throw the ball, it was going Boyd's way from the snap. He can be excellent, but his excellence will be amplified when the other targets are legitimate threats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT