ADVERTISEMENT

Offer Offer to another player out of Hawaii - pipeline for players

It appears that UNLV may be making a big play to try and get a bunch of the Hawaiian players to come to UNLV as a package deal.

It appears that UNLV may be making a big play to try and get a bunch of the Hawaiian players to come to UNLV as a package deal.
I think that is part of it. Also new defensive line coach has strong ties to the islands and has always recruited that area well.

From what I have read on the twitter accounts of these players out of Hawaii, it appears that several of them have ties to LaRussa. I think when at Colorado, they were recruiting many of the same players.

Safeties/Special Teams Coordinator
— Andy LaRussa (Colorado)

Hawaii is having an increasingly hard time keeping their top prospects at home. I honestly believe their program is in really big trouble and will continue to decline. I think the success of a player like Marcus Mariota actually hurts UH. Players may look at his success and think they have to get off the island for better exposure and opportunity. It's great for programs in the states when they can win local recruiting battles. Its an absolute MUST for Hawaii to keep their best at home to remain competitive. Obviously their best season was with some transfer players who had gotten in trouble at other schools. That isn't the way you build a program now and was really a 1-2 year run they had.

5 of the 8 high school kids they signed this cycle were islander and 30 kids on the spring roster were also islander.
They were 4-9 last season with a 1 point loss to Washington and they lost 3 other games by a single score (8 points or less). This year returning starter Woolsey or USC transfer Max Wittek will be the quarterback so they are in good shape to make a good run.
Hawaii lacks the skill speed guys in the local area so they have to locate mainland guys to shore up in that area.

Will the point is they are still losing a lot of their top prospects. If you are going to go back to what they did last year as an example of them being headed in the right direction or that they are improving, they nearly lost at home to a 2 win UNLV team. As a matter of fact they should have lost the game. They are not improving overall and are having to rely on transfer kids to replace some of the kids that they used to keep home. Obviously they are going to have a lot of kids from the Islands on their roster. Also their AD came out last year that the program was in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT