ADVERTISEMENT

Oblad

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
So, does he have the job?

I'm thinking Armani's lack of in-game accuracy means he most likely won't be back as QB. ( Although I'd love to see him as a tight end.)

But what about Gilliam? With him being healthy he has the added dimension of running that Oblad lacks.

I'm thinking Armani's lack of in-game accuracy means he most likely won't be back as QB. ( Although I'd love to see him as a tight end.)

But what about Gilliam? With him being healthy he has the added dimension of running that Oblad lacks.
Honestly, I don’t know how you can go away from what recently worked when nothing has worked all season long. It doesn’t guarantee a win and it doesn’t mean perhaps Max or even Armani might have a great game if they got the nod. But, I mean, granted, it was against a garbage team, it’s the best our offense has looked all season.

Don't know.

Based on Sanchez' history he may go back to Armani.

Stanton came in when Armani got hurt a few years ago. Went 2-1 and played pretty well. Sanchez went right back to Armani when healthy.

Last year Gilliam didn't exactly light it up, but coming off a win over SDSU and a scoring drive vs Hawaii, Sanchez gave Armani the next series and never went back to Gilliam.

Honestly, I don’t know how you can go away from what recently worked when nothing has worked all season long. It doesn’t guarantee a win and it doesn’t mean perhaps Max or even Armani might have a great game if they got the nod. But, I mean, granted, it was against a garbage team, it’s the best our offense has looked all season.

I think you start Oblad vs Fresno..

If he struggles you can probably expect a short leash from Sanchez.

Don't know.

Stanton came in when Armani got hurt a few years ago. Went 2-1 and played pretty well. Sanchez went right back to Armani when healthy.

Last year Gilliam didn't exactly light it up, but coming off a win over SDSU and a scoring drive vs Hawaii, Sanchez gave Armani the next series and never went back to Gilliam.

Sanchez will be looking for a job soon. He may not want to upset his contacts that got him Armani.

Reactions: epic0tix
Don't know.

True.

But back then Armani was a freshman and the future. He also had played decent at times that season.

He hasn't improved, perhaps regressed since then. His potential seems to be reduced to likely nil at this point. Oblad is the freshman with the potential now and has played better to boot.

I could see Armani coming in for special packages like a freshman Tebow.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
True.

But back then Armani was a freshman and the future. He also had played decent at times that season.

He hasn't improved, perhaps regressed since then. His potential seems to be reduced to likely nil at this point. Oblad is the freshman with the potential now and has played better to boot.

I could see Armani coming in for special packages like a freshman Tebow.

Also possible...

I don't know how you can go back to Armani after that. Crisp passing and well-targeted balls.

It's a really good way to lose the team though. I know Vandy isn't good, but neither are half of the teams Armani has struggled against. The entirety of the team seemed more motivated on Saturday than they had a in a while. Just seems like an obvious "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to me...

Reactions: RebelBuzz
I don't know how you can go back to Armani after that. Crisp passing and well-targeted balls.

It's a really good way to lose the team though. I know Vandy isn't good, but neither are half of the teams Armani has struggled against. The entirety of the team seemed more motivated on Saturday than they had a in a while. Just seems like an obvious "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to me...
That’s what’d Concern me as much as anything. I don’t care what anybody says - players can gain or lose a great amount of confidence when a guy they think should or shouldn’t be playing plays or doesn’t play.... the fan favorite might not be the team’s favorite, a guy that’s disliked by the fanbase May be the team’s favorite. Team psyche can be a very delicate thing. That’s not the way you hope it to be but we are long removed from the “win one for the gipper days...

That’s what’d Concern me as much as anything. I don’t care what anybody says - players can gain or lose a great amount of confidence when a guy they think should or shouldn’t be playing plays or doesn’t play.... the fan favorite might not be the team’s favorite, a guy that’s disliked by the fanbase May be the team’s favorite. Team psyche can be a very delicate thing. That’s not the way you hope it to be but we are long removed from the “win one for the gipper days...

Oblad looked good against a bad Vandy.

He looked not so good against a much better Boise team.

Fresno falls somewhere in between those two.

This game will be a better barometer

Oblad goes in and comes away with a win. You stick with him.

If Rebels get shelled, who knows. Maybe Gilliam?

Absolutely agree. I have always believed in the psychological/mental aspect of sports that you can't see on a stat sheet but they impact the games.

Last year, I think it was a big hit to the team's psyche when Rogers went down. He had looked pretty decent against USC (who wasn't any good, but hey, it's USC). Then we'd followed it up with blowout wins over UTEP and Prairie View. Then came Arkansas State. A road game with torrential downpour. A close loss. Armani didn't look great, but it seemed like it could be blamed on the weather. But then came news of the injury. I really believe the team still thought Armani was the guy to take the team to a bowl game. The loss to UNM the next week with Armani out was brutal. It seemed like the team was down and out. Their QB was gone and all was lost.

This year, we saw early and often that healthy Armani is not the guy to lead this team. His passing is just so bad, and his decision-making might be worse. I think the team knows who Armani is and who he isn't. Losing him this year was not the heartbreaker it was last year. The team came out with spirit against Boise and held its own. Then went on the road and beat an SEC team. The spirit around this team has to be as high as it has ever been this season. Receivers believe they might get the ball if they get open. The defense is playing as good as ever. They have rallied.

And you can't downplay what Oblad brings to the table. Yes, the playcalling was MUCH better and he wasn't asked to throw the ball around a bunch, but when he did throw it, he was ACCURATE. He kept drives alive. He hit the big play ball that has too often been underthrown or overthrown by Armani.

This week will absolutely be a tougher task, but it's Oblad's job to lose at this point. And hey, if you want to bring in Armani at some point for a glorified wildcat package... great. Go for it. But Oblad is the starter. This is an easy decision.

Right now it's fascinating that Armani Rogers is being held at the 4-game maximum level for being allowed to turn this season into a medical redshirt season. Rogers used a redshirt season his freshman year, but could waiver for a medical for the now common "sixth year"... as long as he doesn't play in that fifth game.

In the Wyoming game Rogers and Charles Williams were injured during the same quarter, and Williams' injury was considered the more serious of the two. Rogers was even cleared at halftime to play in the second half. Before Boise State Sanchez said: “Kenyon Oblad will get the start. Armani will be there in relief if we need him.” Before Vandy Sanchez altered that to be that Armani is not healthy and is only suiting up in case of emergency. So... the knee bruise got worse?

The "four game rule" could be something that the coaches are selling to Rogers (or he himself is pushing) as a reason to not rush back. If this does turn into an "injury season" and he is in position to graduate, then he would be able to go elsewhere and be immediately eligible to play and have two seasons left.

For now just a conspiracy theory... but one that won't be broken 'til he plays in a fifth game.

Last edited:

Because Tony Sanchez is our coach for a few weeks longer - that's how we go back to Armani after that game.

Because Tony Sanchez is our coach for a few weeks longer - that's how we go back to Armani after that game.
I think that might be the other way around - Sanchez is our coach for a few weeks longer because we go back to Armani after that game :)

Clearly one gives you a better chance to win than the other.

i might not want that contact. we have had several QB's here that were better than Armani but couldn't budge Armani out of the #1 spot.

Imagine if you went to a person of power and asked them to go out on a limb for you, to do you a huge favor to get you a Armani, then you didn't play him. "oh well, it didn't work out" isn't going to cut it. You asked for a favor to get this guy, you are going to make it work. Same reasons that Menzies stuck with McCoy and Rice stuck with Bennett, Wood, Vaughn etc even when they knew it was hurting their teams.

Kinda like when your dad was like, "you asked for violin lessons, you are going to play the violin."

Back to the original post if its Oblad's job now..

I think it's his job to lose now, but his leash might be short.

Any struggles and Sanchez could go to Gilliam or even back to Armani.

Not a knock on Oblad, but if he struggles against Fresno, I would be surprised if Sanchez puts him out there against a very good SDSU defense. Its a tough defense especially for a young QB. They give you so many looks, disguise coverages and blitzes well. A few years ago they held a guy in a similar position Dalton Sneed to 2 of 12 passing.

Gilliam played pretty well against them last year and might get the nod if he's ready to go.

If Oblad wins again and plays well he absolutely has earned another start. That would be two straight with his team in must win scenarios both on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT