ADVERTISEMENT

Oblad..

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Tough to fairly critique him based on this game.

Can't read to much into the good or bad.

Just like the first two games, this was essentially garbage time.

Wyoming played a lot soft coverage being up by as much as they were.

He showed a lot of the same things he showed in camp.

He can flat out spin the ball. No question.

He's a pretty accurate guy.
He has good arm strength.
Throws a catchable ball.

He does get a little flustered with pressure.

And this is when he sometimes puts the ball in danger.

He isn't a statue like a Nick Sherry but he can't run the zone read stuff. Teams aren't going to respect it.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out heading into the Boise game.

Reactions: 220reb
Tough to fairly critique him based on this game.

Can't read to much into the good or bad.

Just like the first two games, this was essentially garbage time.

Wyoming played a lot soft coverage being up by as much as they were.

He showed a lot of the same things he showed in camp.

He can flat out spin the ball. No question.

He's a pretty accurate guy.
He has good arm strength.
Throws a catchable ball.

He does get a little flustered with pressure.

And this is when he sometimes puts the ball in danger.

He isn't a statue like a Nick Sherry but he can't run the zone read stuff. Teams aren't going to respect it.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out heading into the Boise game.

To quote an old ESPN personality, "he can flat-out rotate the spheroid."

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Well if Chuck is out, we may as well throw in Oblad and try the air raid. Despite the O line not being geared for it or not, now that we can’t run, we might as well try something else. Bring in an extra linemen to play “running back”

While He is not the runner that Armani is he seems to be able to move in the pocket to buy time & keep his eyes downfield. He is a QB. Armani is a receiver playing QB. Time to make the change permanent.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
While He is not the runner that Armani is he seems to be able to move in the pocket to buy time & keep his eyes downfield. He is a QB. Armani is a receiver playing QB. Time to make the change permanent.

Honest question. Not asking combatively.

Oblad made some nice throws in garbage time vs SUU and Arkansas State.

The whole second half of this game was basically garbage time. Wyoming played a lot of soft coverage. Kept everything in front of them.

Everybody loses their mind when Armani threw a pick.

Oblad throws two. One of which looked exactly like the one Armani threw. He didn't see the linebacker.

If we are going to heap praise on Oblad for making some nice throws, shouldn't his two picks be equally concerning vs one of the statistically worst pass defenses in the country?

With Chuck likely out. All the zone read stuff out, the run game will suffer. Do you really think Oblad can win games putting the ball up 30+ times?

The defense has enough trouble getting off the field on their own now.

If Rebels go with a more pass happy offense the defense will likely be on the field more. I don't think they can hold up.

Oblad may very well be able to put up some yards and points through the air, but the issues are deeper than just the QB spot.

Wyoming is pretty one dimensional. A little zone read here and there but a lot of just standard stuff in the run game. They were without their starting RG and RT and gutted this defense for over 300 yards on the ground.

This after the staff had an extra week to prepare.

Armani may not be the answer at QB. But its not all on him.

The dudes with the headsets aren't getting it done.

This isn't a case where its a new staff looking at what they might have in Oblad next year. They need to win games now.

That isn't a vote for Armani or against Oblad. I'm not sure it matters who starts at QB.

Last edited:
Honest question. Not asking combatively.

Oblad made some nice throws in garbage time vs SUU and Arkansas State.

The whole second half of this game was basically garbage time. Wyoming played a lot of soft coverage. Kept everything in front of them.

Everybody loses their mind when Armani threw a pick.

Oblad throws two. One of which looked exactly like the one Armani threw. He didn't see the linebacker.

If we are going to heap praise on Oblad for making some nice throws, shouldn't his two picks be equally concerning vs one of the statistically worst pass defenses in the country?

With Chuck likely out. All the zone read stuff out, the run game will suffer. Do you really think Oblad can win games putting the ball up 30+ times?

The defense has enough trouble getting off the field on their own now.

If Rebels go with a more pass happy offense the defense will likely be on the field more. I don't think they can hold up.

Oblad may very well be able to put up some yards and points through the air, but the issues are deeper than just the QB spot.

Wyoming is pretty one dimensional. A little zone read here and there but a lot of just standard stuff in the run game. They were without their starting RG and RT and gutted this defense for over 300 yards on the ground.

This after the staff had an extra week to prepare.

Armani may not be the answer at QB. But its not all on him.

The dudes with the headsets aren't getting it done.

This isn't a case where its a new staff looking at what they might have in Oblad next year. They need to win games now.

That isn't a vote for Armani or against Oblad. I'm not sure it matters who starts at QB.

You are raising legitimate questions that CTS and the staff have to try and answer this week which is made all the more difficult (or maybe easier) due to CW’s injury.

We don’t appear to have anybody else that can run the ball which would mean the entire opposing D could key on stopping Armani from running which would effectively shut down our entire offense due to his limited passing ability.

Without CW in the lineup I have to go with Oblad and spread the offense and even go with some empty backfield sets. With CW in the lineup the answer is more complicated for CTS but I would like to have seen what Oblad could have done with someone in the lineup that could run the ball.

Just one guys opinion!!!

I didn’t watch the game live and I am happy about that as I would have been emotionally involved and upset watching it. As it was I knew the score and was over it before I watched.

Regarding the second interception Oblad threw I don’t think it was a bad decision. 3:43 left in a blowout game that was less than 12” off target into a very tight window for a TD. He’s a QB that has a lot of confidence in his arm. Good quality to have in a QB.

And there’s more.

I am looking forward to watching the Reb Zone but what will be more informative will be the Monday Press Conference in regards to CW’s health and how the QB situation will shake out.

If one player (CW) can make us change our entire offense (a RB, not a QB), how have we improved our depth in year 5? More total people on scholarship just means more members, not better depth.

I’m hoping for good news on CW. I’m praying, though, that my initial suspicions are not valid.

I didn’t watch the game live and I am happy about that as I would have been emotionally involved and upset watching it. As it was I knew the score and was over it before I watched.

Regarding the second interception Oblad threw I don’t think it was a bad decision. 3:43 left in a blowout game that was less than 12” off target into a very tight window for a TD. He’s a QB that has a lot of confidence in his arm. Good quality to have in a QB.

The first interception was bad.

Second not so much.

A few things to think about in regards to the run game...

Darren Williams is capable. He isn't Chuck but he's capable.

There were back to back plays where UNLV needed a yard. For whatever reason they went with a zone read look with Oblad and got stuffed both times. Why? Because nobody is going to account for him. Its basically a slow developing dive. Armani's presence positively impacts the run game. It helps the guys behind him. Defenses have to account for him. We saw a half a season of evidence with this when Gilliam came in last last year. Why do you think it changes with Oblad? Oblad is basically a slight upgrade over Gilliam (maybe).

Maybe if we had Mike Leach as OC I would say you are right. We don't. We go Air Raid, you expose the defense more.

Last edited:
The first interception was bad.

Second not so much.

A few things to think about in regards to the run game...

Darren Williams is capable. He isn't Chuck but he's capable.

There were back to back plays where UNLV needed a yard. For whatever reason they went with a zone read look with Oblad and got stuffed both times. Why? Because nobody is going to account for him. Its basically a slow developing dive. Armani's presence positively impacts the run game. It helps the guys behind him. Defenses have to account for him. We saw a half a season of evidence with this when Gilliam came in last last year. Why do you think it changes with Oblad?

Maybe if we had Mike Leach as OC I would say you are right. We don't. We go Air Raid, you expose the defense more.

It may or may not change with Oblad but nothing has changed with Armani in 3 years except his production keeps going down. As i recall we had a discussion at a practice one day last spring where we both thought that the offense was coming around with Gilliam at QB & we were both disappointed that Armani was brought back in.

But all that aside it may get worse even if the offense picks up because it looks as though

A) The defense is imploding internally
Or
B) the opposition has figured out how to exploit us and our staff is clueless as to how to make adjustments
Or
C) we recruited a bunch of defensive players that don’t know how to tackle

But hey, I can’t wait to get out to Sam Boyd next Saturday and tailgate with friends.

It may or may not change with Oblad but nothing has changed with Armani in 3 years except his production keeps going down. As i recall we had a discussion at a practice one day last spring where we both thought that the offense was coming around with Gilliam at QB & we were both disappointed that Armani was brought back in.

But all that aside it may get worse even if the offense picks up because it looks as though

A) The defense is imploding internally
Or
B) the opposition has figured out how to exploit us and our staff is clueless as to how to make adjustments
Or
C) we recruited a bunch of defensive players that don’t know how to tackle

But hey, I can’t wait to get out to Sam Boyd next Saturday and tailgate with friends.

The beer helps dull the pain...

The staff has no clue, you build offense on running QB, and your backup is passing pocket QB, the defense stinks, team is horrible, they might win 1 or 2 games and that’s it!

Reactions: willlevi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT