ADVERTISEMENT

Oblad to start...

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
In Tony's first year, most people figured the Rebs would get conservative and try and shorten the game.

Instead Cotton had Decker come out chucking the ball. Rebs hung with Boise well into the second half.

Maybe the switch at QB will spark the offense.

Tough spot for Oblad vs a good Boise defense.

In Tony's first year, most people figured the Rebs would get conservative and try and shorten the game.

Instead Cotton had Decker come out chucking the ball. Rebs hung with Boise well into the second half.

Maybe the switch at QB will spark the offense.

Tough spot for Oblad vs a good Boise defense.
If we use the same game plan as last week with Oblad in, we're looking at around 60 passes. Should be exciting!

This game is certainly not considered winnable by anyone outside of the UNLV locker room so hopefully they let him go the distance. He may prove to be a better option and he may not but we do know what we have been doing isn’t working.

One thing for sure is that the receivers will feel like they are more than just blockers. I am hoping CW is ready to go as he gives us our best chance at keeping the Boise defense honest.

Absolutely cannot have 3 and outs if they decide to air it out.

Cannot expose this defense to extra series..
You could say the exact same thing if it was Armani. Boise is gonna score a lot of points and if we have a bunch of 3 & outs we are gonna be eating their dust.

It’s not like we have been a first down machine this year.

I am just happy the kid is getting a shot. Like my buddy Born Rebel Red always says “we need a QB that can pass the ball, score some points & generate some excitement. I would rather see us lose 50-49 than 50-14”.

Not implying that we will score 49 on Saturday or that Boise will only score 50.

This game is certainly not considered winnable by anyone outside of the UNLV locker room so hopefully they let him go the distance. He may prove to be a better option and he may not but we do know what we have been doing isn’t working.

One thing for sure is that the receivers will feel like they are more than just blockers. I am hoping CW is ready to go as he gives us our best chance at keeping the Boise defense honest.

As hard as it is to believe, Wyomings QB has a lower completion percentage than Armani.

And yet they somehow molded an offense around him that is working. Their receivers don't seem to mind blocking. It also keeps their defense fresh.

Every incomplete pass stops the clock. It lengthens the game.

The issue remains trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. The offense with Armani at QB should look like Wyoming. Maybe its not esthetically pleasing but it matches their talent and keeps them in games.

I completely expect Boise State to stack the box and bring pressure and dare Oblad to throw.

Lets hope he lights it up and keeps chains moving.

Otherwise if he's putting to ball up 30-40 times and struggling to complete passes its going to put the defense in the field a lot more.

Last edited:
I am just happy the kid is getting a shot. Like my buddy Born Rebel Red always says “we need a QB that can pass the ball, score some points & generate some excitement. I would rather see us lose 50-49 than 50-14”.

Not implying that we will score 49 on Saturday or that Boise will only score 50.

I'd much rather be Wyoming and be 4-1.

Style points don't count.

Winning is exciting.

I don't care if we run the wishbone or run the air raid. Win games.

There are no fun losses..

As hard as it is to believe, Wyomings QB has a lower completion percentage than Armani.

And yet they somehow molded an offense around him that is working. Their receivers don't seem to mind blocking. It also keeps their defense fresh.

Every incomplete pass stops the clock. It lengthens the game.

The issue remains trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. The offense with Armani at QB should have looked like Wyoming. Maybe its not esthetically pleasing but it matches their talent and keeps them in games. Its what's known as good coaching. Matching scheme to talent and personal.

I completely expect Boise State to stack the box and bring pressure and dare Oblad to throw.

Lets hope he lights it up and keeps chains moving.

Otherwise it will look just as bad as when Armani has started and possibly worse...
I don’t agree with the square peg & round hole analogy. We have both watched enough Rebels spring practices to know a passing game is contained in their offense. The only problem is Armani cant make the throws once the game starts like he does in practice.

There are practice players and there are guys that raise their game when the game starts. Hopefully Oblad falls into the latter category.

If not job #1 for whoever is coach next year is to get us a real QB.

I do agree that there are no fun losses but most of ours are like getting a root canal.

I don’t agree with the square peg & round hole analogy. We have both watched enough Rebels spring practices to know a passing game is contained in their offense. The only problem is Armani cant make the throws once the game starts like he does in practice.

There are practice players and there are guys that raise their game when the game starts. Hopefully Oblad falls into the latter category.

If not job #1 for whoever is coach next year is to get us a real QB.

I do agree that there are no fun losses but most of ours are like getting a root canal.

It is square peg round hole though.

If Armani is your QB the offense has to be heavy zone read and run based. They have tried to balance the offense out. In my opinion its a mistake. You do that with Max or Oblad. Not Armani. In the attempt to take hits off him they have nuetered what he does best.

I hope Oblad performs well enough to make it difficult to put Armani back in.

We'll see.

Biggest thing is he needs to get off to a quick start..

No mistakes early...
That as well as a healthy Charles Williams would be key. All the attention has been on Armani's health but I believe CW’s health is more important.

Don’t forget that Oblad did not have him in the last game. CW is the key to us having any semblance of a balanced attack.

That as well as a healthy Charles Williams would be key. All the attention has been on Armani's health but I believe CW’s health is more important.

Don’t forget that Oblad did not have him in the last game. CW is the key to us having any semblance of a balanced attack.

He is for sure.

With Boise's ability to get after the passer running backs are going to have to help and be solid in pass protection.

Oblad will have to hit some early throws to loosen the defense. Without the fear of the QB keep in zone read stuff, UNLV is going to have to run the ball straight up which could be tough against their front seven. I know its a different style of run game but they held Air Force to under 250 yards on the ground.

With this being his first start, I expect Boise to come after him early.

Last edited:
Our offense, especially under cotton has definitely been run heavy. Zone read based, and it has been where we have been most successful.

So I get the square peg round hole analogy there.

But is it really?

One of the reasons I have been hoping for a balanced offense, is that I have thought we had the personnel to do it. I have been hoping Armani could have developed more as a passer over 3-4 years and he just hasn't. Because I think we could be balanced.

I think we have a very sold and deep WR corps, I think we have a some decent TE's. We have a big veteran O line that should be able to keep a QB clean.

But that was never going to happen under Cotton. Which to me goes back to how this roster has been constructed and used. Poor on all accounts. Nevermind the lack of QB development.

Now do I have any confidence that this staff can switch gears 180, especially now? Absolutely not. I don't know Garrison's roots, but it seems like they have been trying to keep things the same. Which makes sense with Cotton being a presence through most of camp.

That being said, I think the next coach could come in here, and run a completely different offense, and have potential with it.

Our offense, especially under cotton has definitely been run heavy. Zone read based, and it has been where we have been most successful.

So I get the square peg round hole analogy there.

But is it really?

One of the reasons I have been hoping for a balanced offense, is that I have thought we had the personnel to do it. I have been hoping Armani could have developed more as a passer over 3-4 years and he just hasn't. Because I think we could be balanced.

I think we have a very sold and deep WR corps, I think we have a some decent TE's. We have a big veteran O line that should be able to keep a QB clean.

But that was never going to happen under Cotton. Which to me goes back to how this roster has been constructed and used. Poor on all accounts. Nevermind the lack of QB development.

Now do I have any confidence that this staff can switch gears 180, especially now? Absolutely not. I don't know Garrison's roots, but it seems like they have been trying to keep things the same. Which makes sense with Cotton being a presence through most of camp.

That being said, I think the next coach could come in here, and run a completely different offense, and have potential with it.

Put Armani in Wyoming's offense or in New Mexico's offense a few years back.

He would be fine. 10-12 pass attempts a game. Heavy zone read stuff.

Those type offenses are perfect for a guy like him.

If you are looking for actual balance you go to Max or Oblad.

Haucks offense with Herring his last year was a balanced offense.

Outside of one game, Armani hasn't shown he can be that guy.

Say what you want about Cotton, UNLV avg. around 30 ppg during his tenure. That's more than enough to win games.

Put Armani in Wyoming's offense or in New Mexico's offense a few years back.

He would be fine. 10-12 pass attempts a game. Heavy zone read stuff.

Those type offenses are perfect for a guy like him.

If you are looking for actual balance you go to Max or Oblad.

Haucks offense with Herring his last year was a balanced offense.

Outside of one game, Armani hasn't shown he can be that guy.

Say what you want about Cotton, UNLV avg. around 30 ppg during his tenure. That's more than enough to win games.
Put Armani in one of those offenses and he doesn’t play more than 5-6 games per year. He is injury prone and that is why UNLV has tried to dial back his rushing attempts.

Put Armani in one of those offenses and he doesn’t play more than 5-6 games per year. He is injury prone and that is why UNLV has tried to dial back his rushing attempts.

For every huge hit that a guy pops up from unscathed there are non contact plays where a guy blows an ACL.

Its as much luck or lack of, as it is being injury prone.

I don't think because a guy got hurt here we can assume it would happen somewhere else.

Last edited:
For every huge hit that a guy pops up from unscathed there are non contact plays where a guy blows an ACL.

Its as much luck or lack of, as it is being injury prone.

I don't think because a guy got hurt here we can assume it would happen somewhere else.
Third year in a row. Enough said! He is not durable!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT