ADVERTISEMENT

None of us know diddly poo..

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Seriously Expected a shootout got a slog.

Expected to be able to run all over them and struggled to get many explosive runs.

Thought CSU might throw for 350-400 yards. Held them below their avg.

Thought we had to score TDs and not settle for FGs to win..We kick 6 Fgs.

Colorado St really dared UNLV to throw. Not only had 8 or 9 in the box, but their second level was closer to the line of scrimmage than what typical defenses do. Actually thought the playcalling was bad for the most part. Though a lot of that was likely due to not putting too much on Maiava’s shoulders. Think he grew up a lot tonight. Good thing too because I suspect we’ll see a lot of teams try to replicate CSU’s defensive gameplan until we show we can exploit it.

Colorado St really dared UNLV to throw. Not only had 8 or 9 in the box, but their second level was closer to the line of scrimmage than what typical defenses do. Actually thought the playcalling was bad for the most part. Though a lot of that was likely due to not putting too much on Maiava’s shoulders. Think he grew up a lot tonight. Good thing too because I suspect we’ll see a lot of teams try to replicate CSU’s defensive gameplan until we show we can exploit it.
I was saying the same thing late 2nd quarter. The training wheels are ready to come off Maiava. That is when we are at our best.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

It's weird. I didn't think the play calling was awful.

Rebs would get decent yards on first running the ball. But struggled on second down and short yardage. Credit CSU for that.

Also Maiava missed a couple early throws.

I think Rebs should have tried to stretch the field earlier to help run game. On the flipside missed a couple throws and weren't getting great push up front.

Funny they went for almost 500 total yards and we're like 'meh' wasn't great..

Rebs would get decent yards on first running the ball. But struggled on second down and short yardage. Credit CSU for that.

I think Rebs should have tried to stretch the field earlier to help run game. On the flipside missed a couple throws and weren't getting great push up front.

CSU prepped really well, imo. And UNLV adjusted at half.

I didn’t think our play calling was awful. We went with our premier strength. They stuffed us. But we made the necessary adjustments. Good stuffs.

CSU prepped really well, imo. And UNLV adjusted at half.

I didn’t think our play calling was awful. We went with our premier strength. They stuffed us. But we made the necessary adjustments. Good stuffs.

What's crazy is if you read the box score holy crap you'd think we put up 40.

491 yards of offense. Averaged nearly 6 yards a play. Held the ball like 8 minutes longer. Went 9 for 18 on third down conversions.

If you think about it we had 7 scoring drives. Had to settle for 3s on six of them. Punch even one of those in to get to 29 points I think we feel a little different.

Look at us nit picking a win..🤣 This must be what the Alabama boards look like..Ya'll we barely beat Auburn, no way we should have only scored 42!

We are building a galactic battle station at Allegiant.. Who can fill the seats. The best football team of all time!!

Time to capitalize, can we fill the bowl!! The entire stadium full of UNLV fans.

It was a good crowd. Got loud.

Also a smart fan who knew that jinx' are real and didn't return to his seat until the game was over.

Also a smart fan who knew that jinx' are real and didn't return to his seat until the game was over.
Your friend next to you I didn’t say hi because he served in the Vietnam war. I didn’t want him to think I was Vietnamese.

Reactions: 1Tripoda

A much larger crowd is extremely important both to football but also to basketball. Compared to P4 programs we get squat for TV money. We need to bring in ticket revenue to hire better coaches ( when necessary ) and pay for upgrades all over our other programs. Another 9000 fans equal $ 3.5 million a year. For us, that's huge money. We should be able to do that.

A much larger crowd is extremely important both to football but also to basketball. Compared to P4 programs we get squat for TV money. We need to bring in ticket revenue to hire better coaches ( when necessary ) and pay for upgrades all over our other programs. Another 9000 fans equal $ 3.5 million a year. For us, that's huge money. We should be able to do that.

I agree.

I just don't think it will be an overnight thing.

I was saying the same thing late 2nd quarter. The training wheels are ready to come off Maiava. That is when we are at our best.
Definitely he made some cringe throws insults o traffic that luckily didn’t hurt us but they definitely moved the ball better when he took chances and made some nice throws. He had some nice zip on that cross field throw. That pass is scary but if you’re going to throw if that’s what you have to do.

Reactions: VegasKC SDM
Seriously Expected a shootout got a slog.

Expected to be able to run all over them and struggled to get many explosive runs.

Thought CSU might throw for 350-400 yards. Held them below their avg.

Thought we had to score TDs and not settle for FGs to win..We kick 6 Fgs.
I dont understand why people keep on saying that CSU is a bad team ....I guess because of their record? Did anyone see how they play against Colorado? They made some unfortunate mistakes but that is not a bad team. A shootout, no. I didn't register my prediction because I did not think UNLV can win this game. I thought UNLV would lose by the smallest of margin. What Coach O and Maiava did was amazing. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter I knew UNLV would win even down by 10 at the half. Maiava's demeanour convinced me.

For the record: From here on out, I dont expect UNLV to lose another game. If they do, it will be close.

Bro, he was jamming’ to weekend. I don’t want him to think I was Vietnamese. The Vietnamese are with us in 2023 against China.

I dont understand why people keep on saying that CSU is a bad team ....I guess because of their record? Did anyone see how they play against Colorado? They made some unfortunate mistakes but that is not a bad team. A shootout, no. I didn't register my prediction because I did not think UNLV can win this game. I thought UNLV would lose by the smallest of margin. What Coach O and Maiava did was amazing. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter I knew UNLV would win even down by 10 at the half. Maiava's demeanour convinced me.

For the record: From here on out, I dont expect UNLV to lose another game. If they do, it will be close.

CSU are good offensively. Not great defensively. They turn the ball over a lot. Colorado is better than they were last season and Coach Sanders deserves some credit but they are awful defensively and not a very good football team. I wouldn't point to losing to a bad CU team in OT as evidence CSU is good.

Fresno, Air Force and Wyoming are all very good and solid defensively.

CSU are good offensively. Not great defensively. They turn the ball over a lot. Colorado is better than they were last season and Coach Sanders deserves some credit but they are awful defensively and not a very good football team. I wouldn't point to losing to a bad CU team in OT as evidence CSU is good.

Fresno, Air Force and Wyoming are all very good and solid defensively.
Like I've said, I dont expect UNLV to lose another game this year.....Fresno have had a bye week to prepare for UNLV. The first half maybe all mess up for UNLV. Hopefully the margins is still manageable.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Like I've said, I dont expect UNLV to lose another game this year.....Fresno have had a bye week to prepare for UNLV. The first half maybe all mess up for UNLV. Hopefully the margins is still manageable.
Huh?

If UNLV goes 11-1 Barry Odom isn't MWC coach of the year he's coach of the year for all of college football.

I think Rebs can get one of those three possibly. All three I just can't see.

I wasn’t able to go, but I caught the 4th quarter on my drive home. On third down, I could hear the crowd roar over the broadcast.

Here's Fresno's stats: What do you see? The first weakness I see is how many sacks their QB have.

If I can see it, I am sure Michael Scherer probably have every stats on the OL at Fresno and found who the weak link is or are.

Last edited:
Just focus on "one game at a time" that is how you achieve the lofty goal.
Exactly. It’s human nature to schedule search the when’s and where’s … I wish the players never looked at the schedule and followed the coaches and the next game; whether it’s Bryant or Air Force - is for the championship. If a coach can bottle that up and pass it on effectively, any team is going to win.

But sadly, there’s that human nature element.

Exactly. It’s human nature to schedule search the when’s and where’s … I wish the players never looked at the schedule and followed the coaches and the next game; whether it’s Bryant or Air Force - is for the championship. If a coach can bottle that up and pass it on effectively, any team is going to win.

But sadly, there’s that human nature element.
Hopefully, this CSU game bring the team back into focus. The boys is heading into a very hostile environment and their team is hungry for a win. UNLV is a top 50 team, they would love to beat the Rebels.

Hopefully, this CSU game bring the team back into focus. The boys is heading into a very hostile environment and their team is hungry for a win. UNLV is a top 50 team, they would love to beat the Rebels.
This is one of the games where the Rebels really didn’t play well overall - but CSU had a lot to do with that. They snuffed our strength out of the gate and for most of the game.

But we did score on 7 series, unfortunately for us, could have been 8 (turnover) and 6 of them were field goals. And we’ve been good in that area of the field.

CSU didn’t let us get much of anything on 2nd down and forced those longer third downs and we weren’t as good as we’ve been. So while we weren’t great, credit to CSU.

And yes, some credit to our defense as well because we didn’t let CSU kill us with their strength.

It was a good battle.

I wasn’t able to go, but I caught the 4th quarter on my drive home. On third down, I could hear the crowd roar over the broadcast.
Had the same experience. Got called into work and missed pretty much the whole game. Mid 3rd I could hear crowd on radio and when I got home I was able to watch the 4th

One thing that still vexes me is our fans getting loud when our offense is on the field. Just inexperienced fans... weird to fathom that happening elsewhere.

I’m an optimist by nature but much more likely we lose @ Fres, AF. Probably 20-25% chance we win each of those. The Wyo game will feel a lot like the Vandy, CSU games. Flip a coin there.

Win @ Fres next week and we can begin dreaming of a championship game appearance. We should beat UNM, SJSU.

We did have stacked boxes and again did not try to throw over the top much at all. Many throws were short to medium.

The end of the game was called perfectly that was for sure. The pass to DeJesus to seal the easy kick was brilliant off of play action. Of course the 2 play run pass that was mentioned earlier.

Both teams really did try to take away the other's strengths. I thought McKie stepped up well, though there was some misses there, though mostly on not great thrown balls.

We stuck with the run game, which did improve some, but yards per carry stayed pretty low for the most part.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I Think of it this way...

We out threw CSUs offense
353 to 256
We held Horton to a meaningless 47 yards
Our primary offensive attack was stopped and we still moved the ball...

CSU even got a questionable call with a minute or so left...

And we still won...

Fresno might be fresh, they might be coming off bye.. but I think that we will do exactly what we've been doing and it'll be up to the defense to get stops where it can

I Think of it this way...

We out threw CSUs offense
353 to 256
We held Horton to a meaningless 47 yards
Our primary offensive attack was stopped and we still moved the ball...

CSU even got a questionable call with a minute or so left...

And we still won...

Fresno might be fresh, they might be coming off bye.. but I think that we will do exactly what we've been doing and it'll be up to the defense to get stops where it can
And we got some good, legal shots in on Horton. I think that can make a difference to overall productivity.

I’m an optimist by nature but much more likely we lose @ Fres, AF. Probably 20-25% chance we win each of those. The Wyo game will feel a lot like the Vandy, CSU games. Flip a coin there.

Win @ Fres next week and we can begin dreaming of a championship game appearance. We should beat UNM, SJSU.
Totally agree. 3-2 over the final five games is a very solid finish to the regular season. The one thing I think we all like about this team is they're learning how to win, and the "Same old Rebels" retort hasn't much applied. Haven't seen much of that with Rebels FB over the last few decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT