ADVERTISEMENT

Non conference schedule

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
The non conference schedule has UNLV opening up at USC. Then playing teams like @Arkansas St Grambling St and UTEP. I wonder what they are going to do with Baer and Cotton.

Just curious what is our payout for taking that L in the first game vs USC next year ?
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...lv-usc-football-game-moved-to-2018-from-2019/

If that's right , $1.15m. That's a win if you ask me (in terms of the money and the right to lose, not the actually game). It won't land you any brand new recruits, but games like that in your recruiting footprint aren't gonna steer recruits away, plus Vegas locals can get to that game.

I'll be at the USC game like I mentioned all my buddies are Pac12 alums but they love UNLV games. If I could express anything to those that live in Las Vegas and are UNLV alumni you have such a bad view of yourself you bash on everything this whole Rebel Net is one big complaint department. SoCal likes what UNLV is doing they like MM and Sanchez and have good things to say all the time.
Always I hear keep Improving guys love to see you in the future. I run with a lot of Cal, USC, UCLA, Washington guys they have more respect for Armani Rodgers and Coach TS vision then rebel netters a damn shame.

Based on conversation with some people on staff, Grambling State fell through and they replaced with UTEP. Still finalizing the final non-conference game but they are in talks with SUU.

Based on conversation with some people on staff, Grambling State fell through and they replaced with UTEP. Still finalizing the final non-conference game but they are in talks with SUU.
Dangerous move. SUU finished the regular season number 12 and plays conference rival Weber State (who finished number 11) in their first playoff game this year (following a first round bye).

SUU is good.

Most likely the scheduling issue with the Grambling game arose when USC had UNLV move the game at USC from 2019 to the opening weekend 2018 - which originally was when UNLV was going to host the 4th HBCU game.

Yep. Grambling fell through. I don't think they have an available space on September 15. We could leave that as the bye week and try to fill the rest of the schedule. We don't have to fill it; just have two byes and only have 12 games. We don't have to fill the 13 games we are allotted since we travel to Hawaii, it's just an option. However, I am sure UNLV would like to have 7 home games this season if they could. I am almost 100% positive they will try to fill September 15th with an opponent they feel they should beat. I'd stay away from SUU since it's really too much of a risk...sadly. Then look for another game mid conference season to make up for the Hawaii trip.

SUU followup:

They lost to Weber State and they lose their senior QB who has drawn at least one comparison to Lamar Jackson... so that's probably a good thing if we schedule them. Only 1 senior WR and no senior RBs this year, so they return offensive skill positions except QB. Not sure about OL or defense though. Head coach just wrapped up his second year, two prior he was DC at SUU., UC Davis alum, young guy. Guessing he's not getting fired or poached.

We don't have to fill the 13 games we are allotted since we travel to Hawaii, it's just an option. However, I am sure UNLV would like to have 7 home games this season if they could. I am almost 100% positive they will try to fill September 15th with an opponent they feel they should beat.

Unless you feel like you can get a P5 program that's absolute trash or a G5 or FCS program that doesn't have an unknown in terms of HC, OC, DC, or QB, I almost would rather have two byes to be honest. Maybe not popular opinion on that. Would 6-7 be bowl qualifier or is it .500? Just not sure how the 13th game impacts it.

Unless you feel like you can get a P5 program that's absolute trash or a G5 or FCS program that doesn't have an unknown in terms of HC, OC, DC, or QB, I almost would rather have two byes to be honest. Maybe not popular opinion on that. Would 6-7 be bowl qualifier or is it .500? Just not sure how the 13th game impacts it.
6-7 is next in line if there are not enough bowl eligible teams and MUST be taken in front of a 5-7 team. If there are multiple 6-7 teams , the placements are made due to graduation rates.

6-7 is next in line if there are not enough bowl eligible teams and MUST be taken in front of a 5-7 team. If there are multiple 6-7 teams , the placements are made due to graduation rates.
And this year we were over the minimum 6-6, weren't we? Tough decision if you ask me. Looking noncon: USC loss. UTEP hopefully a win (they were0-12 last year). Arkansas State likely a loss but maybe more of a coin flip. Maybe you try to get Charlotte or something in here, or even Rice since it makes a bit more geo sense. But geo if it's an FCS loss isn't a good call if you ask me. Get me Portland St football (0-11) or something, you know?

UTEP is 95% a win. I think the Arkansas State game is much closer than you think. Portland State or Sacramento State are good fill games at the 9/15 date. I'm not scared of SUU and I think we'd win, but the risk is too great. Another win in non-con is what the school is looking for.

UTEP is 95% a win. I think the Arkansas State game is much closer than you think. Portland State or Sacramento State are good fill games at the 9/15 date. I'm not scared of SUU and I think we'd win, but the risk is too great. Another win in non-con is what the school is looking for.
Sac St would be kind of nice - former Rebel (player and staffer) CJ Cox is over there coaching corners. Also Kevin Thomson is their starting QB, former UNLV'er.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I've felt that the allowed 13th game every year the Rebels travel to Hawaii should be a "non-conference" second game against Hawaii in Las Vegas. The Warriors have proven to be one of the best attendance draws in Las Vegas, and that should increase once it's a game in the new stadium. It's also always a "winnable" matchup and it helps our strength-of-schedule. This is a fun rivalry with the giant 9th Island trophy.

I'd also like to see the Rebels start scheduling Utah (not necessarily for that open spot next year). That's a P5 opponent that should bring fans on the level that Arizona and California schools do.

Reactions: MauiRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT