ADVERTISEMENT

Next up: At Utah State

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
I know not many will care but there’s still a lot of hoops left to play and until we don’t have a shot at it, there’s still a chance at the number 2 spot in the conference. It is UNR and the ten dwarfs, but number 2 is still open.

We head to Logan Saturday. Utah State, they’ve done about all they can do with their season. Two chances at quality wins ((Houston and UNR), lost both by double digits. Good neutral site crushing of St Mary’s, got pounded at BYU, lost a close one neutral vs ASU. Their biggest heartbreak was a 1 point loss in Logan to Fresno State. RPI mid 50’s which is NITish right now, SOS a respectable 116, sitting at 14-5. They’ve played better than I thought they would, that’s for sure. In the couple of games I’ve watched, I don’t know. They’re decent, not great, certainly beatable, but home court advantage in Logan is typically pretty strong. The Rebels are reeling right now, losing by 17 points and 17 points in their last two games, two games that were effectively over by the third media timeout. So we aren’t in a great spot, but Diong looks like he’s on the mend to make up for some of the size issues. I expect to fight hard, aside from a couple of games they’ve played hard throughout so I expect that much. But I don’t know how effectively they will respond. Are the beaten down or pissed off? Complacent or hungry? I can’t say where they are at mentally. This is usually the best time to watch practices, after rough patches.

I don’t know what to expect. If we don’t shoot well like we had been before last night, no shot. If we defend as poorly as we have most of conference, no shot. We’ve seen we can shoot exceptionally well and still get crushed. So we know we have to defend. I think any team that has a little patience and floor spread can give us fits.

I really don’t know what to expect. As a fan, I guess I kinda expect to play out the string which will still grabs us a good chunk of wins because the league is terrible, but that wouldn’t be good enough for Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News