ADVERTISEMENT

MWC should play

The MWC is usually slow on the uptake with issues, but they were out near the front on this one and I thought they were jumping the gun. I don't work in healthcare so I don't have a learned opinion like some, but it seems like when there is so much unknown you don't rush into a decision, and I felt they came out early on this one. That was near the time that "players" - and not just in the MW - were organizing and coming out with lists of demands. I always felt that lawyers and the threat of litigation played at least as large a role as health concerns. smh... it's just a mess and if they, whomever they may be, are going to play they need to make that decision ASAP.

It would be amazing if the MWC was the only bowl series conference that didn't play.

The PAC 12 is considering football because they contracted to get supplied with rapid testing. The company they contracted with is Quidel Corporation, a manufacturer of diagnostic healthcare products. This will let them implement daily coronavirus testing for all student-athletes with a 15 minute turn around. With enough machines it will allow them to only start daily practice with athletes who are clean.

I expect them to start practice on Oct and play games in Nov.

We'll be left behind without a similar test.

The BIG is also considering a Fall return but they seem much less organized with the Michigan president standing in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 220reb
The MWC is usually slow on the uptake with issues, but they were out near the front on this one and I thought they were jumping the gun. I don't work in healthcare so I don't have a learned opinion like some, but it seems like when there is so much unknown you don't rush into a decision, and I felt they came out early on this one.

The major error was not to follow the P5 schools in going "conference only" which both postponed the hard decision and let the lesser conferences be the "grand COVID experiment" and take the publicity hit if there were problems with playing before Sept 26th.

With UNR still hosting an Aug 29th week 0 FCS opponent and other MWC schools playing Sept 5th games, UNR was already late on starting summer practice camps and it was a week when other MWC schools were supposed to be starting when the Big-10 and PAC-10 announced they were scrubbing. So the MWC was in the awkward position of being the first FBS full contact practices or shutting things down.

I think we will see the MWC and MAC in playing same as the PAC and BIG. Bowl games will be played among those conferences with the big one of course being the Rose Bowl, so maybe get to see Oregon vs OSU after all? I should be on a flight to Eugene on Friday dammit.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
I think we will see the MWC and MAC in playing same as the PAC and BIG. Bowl games will be played among those conferences with the big one of course being the Rose Bowl, so maybe get to see Oregon vs OSU after all? I should be on a flight to Eugene on Friday dammit.

To be fair, its literally raining fire and brimstone in Eugene right now. That game might not have been played even without the virus.

Reactions: j. spilotro
To be fair, its literally raining fire and brimstone in Eugene right now. That game might not have been played even without the virus.

I heard maybe 50/50 chance at best it would have been played which I guess is better than 0%, UO would have had to practice in Portland. There was a game a couple of years ago that was in doubt for the same reason and did ended up getting played.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
USC AD interview this morning said football likely 1st week of Dec. Said two venues will need to change current Covid rules to allow football. I don’t see that as a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT