ADVERTISEMENT

MWC recruiting round up

JTthe2nd

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
So basically the schools in caps are where the players transferred from and the schools in lower case are the top 3 schools that were offering to that particular player(according to verbalcommits.com)

I know that just because a player came from a P5 school it doesn't automatically mean they're going to be elite in the MWC but it doesn't hurt. Both Williams and Hamm performed well above average in the MWC so there's some precedent there. I'm really impressed with what CKKs done this off season.

UNLV
Jackie Johnson III - DUQUESNE
Elijah Harkless - OKLAHOMA
Eli Parquet - COLORADO
Shane Nowell - ARIZONA
Luis Rodriguez - OLE MISS
Keyshawn Hall - asu, st. mary's, missouri
Isaiah Cottrell - W.VIRGINIA
Karl Jones - LA SOUTHWEST COLLEGE

WYOMING
Ethan Anderson - USC
Max Agbonkpolo - USC
Jake Kyman - UCLA
Caden Powell - drexel, hofstra, n.texas

BOISE ST.
Mohamed Sylla - DETROIT MERCY
Chibuzo Agbo - TEXAS TECH
Jace Whiting - dixie st, idaho st.
Sadraque Nganga - arizona, kansas, kentucky

FRESNO ST.
Isaih Moore - SOUTHERN MISS
Jordan Brinson - UAB
Chiks Isitua - IUPUI
Eduardo Andre - NEBRASKA
Joseph Hunter - arizona, illinois, usc

UNR
Jarod Lucas - OREGON ST.
Tyler Powell - SETON HALL
Michael Folarin - E.WASHINGTON
Trey Pettigrew - penn st, illinois, missouri
Darrion Williams - long beach st, montana, e.washington

NEW MEXICO
Morris Udeze - WICHITA ST.
Josiah Allick - KANSAS CITY
Donovan Dent - long beach st, wyoming
Braden Appelhaus - kansas city, wichita st, e.michigan
Quinton Webb - portland st, e.washington, san diego

SAN DIEGO ST.
Darrion Trammell - SEATTLE
Micah Parrish - OAKLAND
Miles Byrd - minnesota, washington, colorado st
Elijah Saunders - miami, boston college, virginia tech

COLORADO ST.
Josiah Strong - ILLINOIS ST.
Patrick Cartier - HILLSDALE
Tavi Jackson - siena, pacific, wyoming
Jack Payne - idaho, san jose st, portland

UTAH ST.
Taylor Funk - ST. JOSEPH'S
Isaac Johnson - OREGON

Is that boise state recruit schools true? Sadraque Nganga - arizona, kansas, kentucky

Fantastic get if close to true

Are our top 3 transfers better than Wyoming's top 3 transfers? Not sure about that.

Is that boise state recruit schools true? Sadraque Nganga - arizona, kansas, kentucky

Fantastic get if close to true
IDK how accurate verbalcommits.com is to be honest but I crossed checked with a couple other sites(247sports and espn) and they both listed the same high level programs. IDK how BSU got him either but he appears a legit 4/5 star player. 6'10" and moves with the ball really well.

I am excited and impressed with the new players. I am also concerned we lost three of our most productive players on offense. It will be hard to replace Williams, Hamm, and specially Hamilton's scoring. Hopefully a few of the new players coming in can elevate their game. I do like the combo of P5 conferance players and hopefully some sleepers in Hall and jackson. Im predicting a returnee Justin Webster steps up his game this year

Last edited:
I think if you have 4-5 guys who score between 10-14 point per contest, which I think we can get next year, scoring will be fine. That kind of distribution in scoring would make us harder to defend, especially in “end of game” situations.

I think if you have 4-5 guys who score between 10-14 point per contest, which I think we can get next year, scoring will be fine. That kind of distribution in scoring would make us harder to defend, especially in “end of game” situations.
Depends on their efficiency, too. And especially considering our leading returning scorer averaged, what, 7 ppg last season. If we get 4-5 guys averaging 10-14 (to be honest, that sounds very lofty, I don’t know if/when we’ve done that before) … I could be wrong but 4/5 guys averaging double digits, I don’t know that it happens a lot, that’s about 60 ppg from 4/5 guys …

Reactions: Rebelhustle
Are our top 3 transfers better than Wyoming's top 3 transfers? Not sure about that.

As a Prospect​

247SPORTS COMPOSITE®​

Shane Nowell out of Eastside Catholic as a Senior.
Wyomings transfers are definitely impressive. They can team with Ike and Maldonado and make a formidable team. Bench strength will be the issue for them.
Rebels will be improving every game as the players get used to each other in game situations. Problem will be inside defense vs Ike, USU's big man. Kruger and his staff have the horses now at least for one season to play 96 feet of pressure defense. Nowell played behind a 1st round (sixth) draft pick. I think he will be able to score when he is in the game.

Depends on their efficiency, too. And especially considering our leading returning scorer averaged, what, 7 ppg last season. If we get 4-5 guys averaging 10-14 (to be honest, that sounds very lofty, I don’t know if/when we’ve done that before) … I could be wrong but 4/5 guys averaging double digits, I don’t know that it happens a lot, that’s about 60 ppg from 4/5 guys …
Boise State
Boise state was the team last year!

If this was one of the last few coaches, I wouldn't feel all that great, but I have seen how quickly coach Kruger was able to bring all the new players from last year together and how well his staff was able to coach the players up to take advantage of all of their talent. I feel much better about this next season, and look forward to a 20+ win season.

We’re going to struggle to score. No question. 3pt streak could be in serious jeopardy this season as well. The defense better be top 5 in the nation or it could be a bumpy season.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
We’re going to struggle to score. No question. 3pt streak could be in serious jeopardy this season as well. The defense better be top 5 in the nation or it could be a bumpy season.
Thank you for this realistic take on things. That’s exactly right but if you say it you’re a negative fan apparently.

5 guys scoring 10ppg is very likely not happening. When has that happened since 1991?

I think Webster and Jackson can hit at least 1 3 per game

Reactions: RRebel
Every single pre-season, lofty expectations are placed upon the team and each player, with scenarios of a good season based upon everything going to near perfection.

Then the season unfolds, one or two play as expected or better than expected and the other 5 or 6 contributing players are below what we expect, then there are a couple of whipping boys for not meeting those preseason expectations … and the team hits around where they should be, usually a little lower than where they should be.

I mean, I suppose we can do it, other teams certainly do, but it’s avoided UNLV for the very vast majority of the time. For whatever reasons.

I go by history and trends and likelihoods based upon them rather than blind faith inflexible tunnel vision with a triple set of blinders. That’s way too easy. A four year old can tell you why we will be great (because it’s UNLV!) but they can’t think and tell you why we just might not be so great.

I don't think my expectation is that lofty considering how much UNLV had improved last year. Win 4-5 more games this next season and they meet my expectation.

Reactions: mrodius
That fans go into a season with positive expectations, i.e. winning more games than last year, is not necessarily lofty, or even atypical for fans all over the country.
How sad that some fans go into the season with the "eeyore" complex.
I see posts complaining about fans' predictions of Sweet 16s, but I don't see those predictions being posted.
We, as fans, should not be excoriated for hoping for 20 wins, or even just improvement.
Anyone who thinks all but 1 or 2 Rebels played up to expectations last year may be the aforementioned eeyore.
That Rebel teams have been disappointing most years is obvious. Last year's was not. This year's should not be. If it is, it is. But, it should not be assumed because of different players, under a different coach and staff.
And, for the record, I do not believe this team will dance. But, they might be fun.

Reactions: Trax0r
I’m not expecting a whole lot this season but I’ll be supporting the team and CKK regardless. I’m a loyal alum and that’s what loyal alums do imo. Moreover, I do believe in CKK and the plan he has for the program and recognize it is unlikely to happen overnight. We could very easily have a .500 season; a lot has to go right just to land in the top third of the Conf but I hope fans take a bit longer view for the program and give it time to build a strong foundation, which I think CKK is doing.

On paper, I think we are better and more talented then last year.. But, so is most of the top tier of the MWC (SDSU, BSU, WYO).. Our record may not translate with the talent we have.. Although, I’d much rather have this roster, as opposed to depending on BHam to put up points with 25 shots pg..

Reactions: RRebel and 1Tripoda
On paper, I think we are better and more talented then last year.. But, so is most of the top tier of the MWC (SDSU, BSU, WYO).. Our record may not translate with the talent we have.. Although, I’d much rather have this roster, as opposed to depending on BHam to put up points with 25 shots pg..
I think so too. Plus, though Williams was an asset … how much of the year did he miss?

Overall, I think it looks like a pretty significant upgrade in talent across the roster. Especially defensively.

I’m not expecting a whole lot this season but I’ll be supporting the team and CKK regardless. I’m a loyal alum and that’s what loyal alums do imo. Moreover, I do believe in CKK and the plan he has for the program and recognize it is unlikely to happen overnight. We could very easily have a .500 season; a lot has to go right just to land in the top third of the Conf but I hope fans take a bit longer view for the program and give it time to build a strong foundation, which I think CKK is doing.
Oh, personally, I think it will be way above .500 for the season - if it’s below that it’s a complete failure of a season.

I think they’ll actually be above 20 wins, most likely. Not saying that’s an NCAAT, probably not …

And as good as Bryce was offensively, there were some negatives with him … with him gone, I think those particular negatives are gone from this group. Can’t really tell until the ball rolls out.

I don’t like numbers like 20 wins anyway, Marv did that and he was a shit stain on our program even in that 20 win season with a sugary sweet schedule.

You can tell, you can feel it, just watch the games and see how they compete against the better teams on the schedule. Beating High Point by 90 or sweeping the summer games vs the Canadian teams won’t be a good barometer of true quality.

I do think it has a chance to be a good season, perhaps even NCAA if more things come to fruition than fail … but I think it will look different because it’ll be defensive driven and probably pretty ugly grindy offensively.

Balanced scoring will be a welcomed sight. I think we have 4-5 guys who can put up 10-14pts per contest… JJ, Harkless, Rodriguez, the UofA transfer, Parquet and Cottrell. Also I believe that Gilbert, McCabe and Webster can get between 8-12 per. Scoring from that many different spots on the floor is hard for other teams to defend!

Reactions: mrodius
I think so too. Plus, though Williams was an asset … how much of the year did he miss?

Overall, I think it looks like a pretty significant upgrade in talent across the roster. Especially defensively.
I’d love to have Williams, would have been a nice touch to finish off this roster.. But like you mentioned, I was always hesitant based on his availability, very frail/injury prone.. If we can get the Nowell kid from AZ to put up similar type production, alongside the increased output of the P5 transfers, we should be very formidable..

Almost every year, in the summer, I believe we’ll be going to at least the NIT. Not sure about this year‘s team, but it does look like the top half of the Mountain West has improved. We should be easily looking at three teams in postseason tournaments.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don't think my expectation is that lofty considering how much UNLV had improved last year. Win 4-5 more games this next season and they meet my expectation.
I'd be more apprehensive if the rest of the MWC was destroying us on the recruiting front but they aren't. SDSU will be tough as always, no getting around that. Wyoming should be good with their trio of PAC12 transfers. The rest of the MWC either hasn't improved or gotten worse imo. So while we lose our 2 best scorers I think we'll be far better defensively with more depth top to bottom. I'll be disappointed if we finish lower than 3rd and wouldn't be surprised if we challenge for 1st place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT