ADVERTISEMENT

MWC - has shown improvement in bowl season

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
Fresno St. 31 Arizona St. 20 - while the score is reasonably close, it was very clear that FSU was a better team than ASU. This game doesn't make any statement, but it does show that they are better

Utah St. 52 North Texas 13 - This shows me that Utah St. is a legit top 25 level team and shows how much better that conference has become in the last couple of years.

I hope to see Hawaii, SDSU, BSU, and unr (not really) also win their bowl games.

UNLV needs to join the party next year.

Fresno St. 31 Arizona St. 20 - while the score is reasonably close, it was very clear that FSU was a better team than ASU. This game doesn't make any statement, but it does show that they are better

Utah St. 52 North Texas 13 - This shows me that Utah St. is a legit top 25 level team and shows how much better that conference has become in the last couple of years.

I hope to see Hawaii, SDSU, BSU, and unr (not really) also win their bowl games.

I thought USU deserved a slightly better bowl.

ASU's best player and future top 10 pick didn't play, nor did one of their starting LBs. Let's not get carried away.

And FSU backed off at the end of the game, so what! FSU would have won this game 9 out of 10 times with or without all of the players for ASU. By the way, the 11 point loss was the worse loss for ASU all year. Funny how the lowly FSU beat ASU by more points than any other team in the Pac12

And FSU backed off at the end of the game, so what! FSU would have won this game 9 out of 10 times with or without all of the players for ASU. By the way, the 11 point loss was the worse loss for ASU all year. Funny how the lowly FSU beat ASU by more points than any other team in the Pac12

FSU was definitely much better yesterday, but it was still a tight game. I'm not knocking FSU. I'm saying not having N'keal Harry makes a huge difference. He's a huge part of their offense, their best player and a top 10 NFL pick. You can't say it wouldn't have changed the game.

Composite rankings have FSU at 18 and ASU at 43, I guess nobody else agrees with you either. With those players playing for them, they lost to SDSU, and their best wins were against 7-5 MSU and 9-4 Utah. They had no business playing a team that outclassed them and only played them because we get the leftovers from the PAC12 in the bowl game. BSU, FSU, Utah State, SDSU, and even unr are all better than ASU

Yeah the conference has some crappy bowl ties but still it’s nice to see the MW teams winning them. If Boise State beats Boston College next week the conference should end up with 3 ranked teams. Not bad for the perception of the conference.

FSU was definitely much better yesterday, but it was still a tight game. I'm not knocking FSU. I'm saying not having N'keal Harry makes a huge difference. He's a huge part of their offense, their best player and a top 10 NFL pick. You can't say it wouldn't have changed the game.
With the way Fresno coasted at the end, I don't know if one can rationally say whether Harry would have made a difference or not.

SDSU didn't make the MWC look good. BSU and the rest need to look better and win!
That game should end up being an aberration for a couple of reasons.
1] Ohio is a very underrated team. They didn't have their two best defenders to begin the season or they likely beat VA & Cincy.
2] Solich is a better HC than Rocky. Ohio absolutely out coached SDSU and two of the reasons why come down to relationships with our staff.
3] Solich is extremely close to Barney Cotton. Note how Ohio basically ran the same offensive plays against SDSU that we did. They weren't always out of the same formations but they were basically what Cotton called against them.
4] Solich is friends with Tony Samuel. Note the defensive line stunts Ohio used against SDSU. Ohio didn't do much of that during the regular season.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I hope we can do the same thing to SDSU next year. If it worked for UNLV, and worked for Ohio, it hopefully will work again for UNLV next year.

I hope we can do the same thing to SDSU next year. If it worked for UNLV, and worked for Ohio, it hopefully will work again for UNLV next year.
If we can get the defensive players like Ohio has, then we should be able to do just that.

Based on the recruiting, it looks like we have picked up a few really good defensive players. The question will be if they can coach them up by the time the season starts. If the defense shines then the entire team will shine!

Really sucks for the MWC that the Bowl with Boise and BC got cancelled so early in the 1st QTR. BC took an early lead but it was clear to me that BSU would have stomped them if they had played the entire game. JMHO

UNR, despite playing poorly today won the Arizona Bowl in OT vs Arkansas State (who we lost to early in the season).

So the conference finishes 3-2 because of the Boise cancellation.

UNR, despite playing poorly today won the Arizona Bowl in OT vs Arkansas State (who we lost to early in the season).

So the conference finishes 3-2 because of the Boise cancellation.
Which looks better for us since that close loss to Ark State was in their crib in the rain and we beat UNR to end the season when they were favored.
Not too bad for the MWC. The PAC, MAC and AAC sure wish that they would have had that kind of winning percentage in the Bowls this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT