ADVERTISEMENT

MWC Ends Pac2 Scheduling Agreement

They are likely to play Independent schedules next season.

And the fade continues…

I agree though why take them off the schedule? Especially since they will likely be replaced with lesser teams.
We know are ultimate goal is to get out of the MWC which still plays up to BSU. UNLV should continue to play these teams for now since it can only help our overall strength. Who knows, maybe in a few years they will be down to the level of Utah Tech if they stand Indy, and then they can replace that game against UNLV! 😁

We know are ultimate goal is to get out of the MWC which still plays up to BSU. UNLV should continue to play these teams for now since it can only help our overall strength. Who knows, maybe in a few years they will be down to the level of Utah Tech if they stand Indy, and then they can replace that game against UNLV! 😁
I am not in agreement with UNLV's ultimate goal assumption...

I agree though why take them off the schedule? Especially since they will likely be replaced with lesser teams.
It's bigger than just taking them off the schedule. Those two teams plus the mountain West are in negotiations. They probably wanted a disproportionate amount of TV revenue or something like that. I'm sure it boils down to money as always

I think WSU and OSU still have a power trip. MWC doesn't need them, they need the MWC.
This... Waiting for our Cougar fan to come in and share opinion, but they're likely shopping themselves around to which ever conference will give them best $$ deal and we're like, nah, you're either joining us or you're not getting our conference coalition

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think it is as simple as they can't afford to pay us a million dollars every game next season.
The article I saw mentioned that thr "two sides were too far apart". Now considering the context, I think they are referring to the current agreement that pays the MW a cool mill per game.
I do think that also seems to be the case with some sort of merger. That our the PAC truly just wants to rebuild or hope they get picked up by another conference. I think conceding to the payouts that a MW merger will bring is too much for them.

I think it is as simple as they can't afford to pay us a million dollars every game next season.
The article I saw mentioned that thr "two sides were too far apart". Now considering the context, I think they are referring to the current agreement that pays the MW a cool mill per game.
I do think that also seems to be the case with some sort of merger. That our the PAC truly just wants to rebuild or hope they get picked up by another conference. I think conceding to the payouts that a MW merger will bring is too much for them.
That's the way I see it. They want to be flexible to rebuild or wait for something better to come along. It actually makes sense to get out of the agreement if you want to rebuild for the 2026 season. They will have more room to poach MWC teams financially. We can give a year notice and they won't have to pay the scheduling agreement poaching fees. They are still locked into the agreement until August 2, 2025 so no poaching activity will happen until after that but, they would have to do it quick so that we could give our one year notice quickly if we were to consider making the move to the P12. One outlier that may influence what MWC teams do will be the renegotiation of the media rights contract next year. If we can get enough money it may not be worth it to jump to a conference which essentially has no media rights. I guess we will see next year how it all goes.

That's the way I see it. They want to be flexible to rebuild or wait for something better to come along. It actually makes sense to get out of the agreement if you want to rebuild for the 2026 season. They will have more room to poach MWC teams financially. We can give a year notice and they won't have to pay the scheduling agreement poaching fees. They are still locked into the agreement until August 2, 2025 so no poaching activity will happen until after that but, they would have to do it quick so that we could give our one year notice quickly if we were to consider making the move to the P12. One outlier that may influence what MWC teams do will be the renegotiation of the media rights contract next year. If we can get enough money it may not be worth it to jump to a conference which essentially has no media rights. I guess we will see next year how it all goes.
Indeed. Their situation this year straight up sucks. They are paying a lot to be a non member of the MW without the possibility to go the the MW championship game. Sure it helped them fill up their schedule this year, but they are still essentially independent.
Going fully independent next season will save them money, and they have a bit more time to put together a schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT