ADVERTISEMENT

Moving On

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
I was gonna post something about how CTS should still be coaching here next year but then I ran across a video tweet from Cofield of CTS after the game yesterday saying I told my guy I just want to work at a place where everyone is on the same page.

In the 11 years prior to CTS arriving UNLV had exactly 3 seasons that weren’t 2-10. The GPA was in the toilet and we were unable to recruit a full team due to grades and other things which were the fault of previous coaching staffs. The Cannon had only been red once in the previous 10 years & now it is red for the 3’rd time in 5 years. CTS has recruited high quality kids that brought up the GPA and not a hint of scandal or disgrace to the UNLV. He has increased the winning percentage by 50%. The Best recruiting class in UNLV history is coming in. The culture has been changed completely, The Fertitta complex is in place. He has kids that go to the mat for him and they love each other and.....

It’s just sad that CTS wants to move on, he just wants to work at a place where everyone is on the same page. It is possible that he will have a job in place before UNLV has a new coach in place because people know what he has accomplished here and the adversity that is the UNLV administration shit show his predecessors could not deal with.

CTS was classy to the end, supporting his guys that believed in him.

I was gonna post something about how CTS should still be coaching here next year but then I ran across a video tweet from Cofield of CTS after the game yesterday saying I told my guy I just want to work at a place where everyone is on the same page.

In the 11 years prior to CTS arriving UNLV had exactly 3 seasons that weren’t 2-10. The GPA was in the toilet and we were unable to recruit a full team due to grades and other things which were the fault of previous coaching staffs. The Cannon had only been red once in the previous 10 years & now it is red for the 3’rd time in 5 years. CTS has recruited high quality kids that brought up the GPA and not a hint of scandal or disgrace to the UNLV. He has increased the winning percentage by 50%. The Best recruiting class in UNLV history is coming in. The culture has been changed completely, The Fertitta complex is in place. He has kids that go to the mat for him and they love each other and.....

It’s just sad that CTS wants to move on, he just wants to work at a place where everyone is on the same page. It is possible that he will have a job in place before UNLV has a new coach in place because people know what he has accomplished here and the adversity that is the UNLV administration shit show his predecessors could not deal with.

I'm sure he has viable job opportunities already, just has to pick where he wants to go.

And listen, some people say sour grapes and such... remember Sanford went on a tangent when he was fired. The delivery wasn't great, but the message... yeah, he's right. Sanchez saying he wants to be somewhere where everyone is on the same page? Yeah, he's right.

It's problematic and has been. Sanford was right, we needed upgrades, we are finally getting them. It's not the reason he lost, the not having better locker rooms. But these coaches are speaking of symptoms. Sanchez is right too. Not just with football, basketball too. People want to take steps forward with both programs. We can check facilities off the list, both have them. But there's still the underlying, crippling theme of no real unity, no real leadership, no clear vision, no aggressive action to get things... too many idle hands collecting paychecks with a smile on their face.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm sure he has viable job opportunities already, just has to pick where he wants to go.

And listen, some people say sour grapes and such... remember Sanford went on a tangent when he was fired. The delivery wasn't great, but the message... yeah, he's right. Sanchez saying he wants to be somewhere where everyone is on the same page? Yeah, he's right.

It's problematic and has been. Sanford was right, we needed upgrades, we are finally getting them. It's not the reason he lost, the not having better locker rooms. But these coaches are speaking of symptoms. Sanchez is right too. Not just with football, basketball too. People want to take steps forward with both programs. We can check facilities off the list, both have them. But there's still the underlying, crippling theme of no real unity, no real leadership, no clear vision, no aggressive action to get things... too many idle hands collecting paychecks with a smile on their face.
I get a kick out of people complaining that “so-and-so was here for xx years and they didn’t keep her/him.” If they weren’t the solution then why should they remain employed?

In the private sector you have to produce or you go out of business. You hire, and retain, employees who help you accomplish that goal. Those that don’t are relieved of their duties.

If we lost more dead weight there it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. Be an asset or be removed.

I may be coming off as harsh but I work in the private sector so nothing is guaranteed to me.

He was class.

Thankful for all the off field things he helped get done.

Happy the canon stays red.

Ready to move on though.

I get a kick out of people complaining that “so-and-so was here for xx years and they didn’t keep her/him.” If they weren’t the solution then why should they remain employed?

In the private sector you have to produce or you go out of business. You hire, and retain, employees who help you accomplish that goal. Those that don’t are relieved of their duties.

If we lost more dead weight there it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. Be an asset or be removed.

I may be coming off as harsh but I work in the private sector so nothing is guaranteed to me.

results.png

I'll say this for Tony S. I think there is a huge disparity evaluating the UNLV situation between the fan base and the coaching fraternity.
I'd have to ask myself before taking the job Ok, they fired the last guy who pulled them out of probation, gpa/graduation in check, stalked team with young talent, .600 win percentage against rival, secured donation and facilities at unprecedented level, marketed the team with apparel and commercials on ESPN. Still no mercy not bowl eligible hit the bricks pal.
I get it we better pay up for the next guy if we want to succeed.

He was class.

Thankful for all the off field things he helped get done.

Happy the canon stays red.

Ready to move on though.
Sanchez is ready to move on & I am ready to move on but the only problem I see is that the Athletic Director (DRF) that picked our new basketball coach (on track for worst season in UNLV MBB history) will be picking our new football coach.

Sanchez is ready to move on & I am ready to move on but the only problem I see is that the Athletic Director (DRF) that picked our new basketball coach (on track for worst season in UNLV MBB history) will be picking our new football coach.

We'll see.

It comes down to Ws and Ls...

Too many Ls.

You think he got a little bit of a raw deal..That's fine.

For me.

There were too many Arkansas State curb stompings on his resume to convince me he deserved another year.

Sanchez averaged a 4-8 record. He hitched a wagon to Rogers for three years with at least one season that should have been a bowl berth.
After the Vanderbilt game, it has felt like the team is right there in getting over the hump.
That said, if the team struggled next season under Sanchez again it would be a huge blow to the future. At the end, I could have seen Sanchez getting another shot but if you can grab a more successful coach you take the opportunity.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/tony-sanchez-1.html

I wish him well, he didn’t get job done simple as that. Good luck to him.

He beat Reno 3 times and raised a ton of money. The five losing seasons didn’t help anything.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
You gotta love Sanchez's effort and passion. He did a lot of good things and went out in style. Too many lopsided losses in what should have been winnable or at least competitive games is why a change had to be made. He can definitely boast that he is leaving the program in a better situation than it was in then when he took over. I thank him for his time here and wish him all the best.

Surely.......SURELY you're not saying that Otz is a worse coach than Mahvelous....a man that literally got to be paid to live in Las Vegas for a year. Literally....his occupation that he was paid for, was to live in the city and fart out quips about hate speech when he lost to The Center for Kids who Cant Read Good and Wanna Learn How to Do Other Stuff Good Too.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Surely.......SURELY you're not saying that Otz is a worse coach than Mahvelous....a man that literally got to be paid to live in Las Vegas for a year. Literally....his occupation that he was paid for, was to live in the city and fart out quips about hate speech when he lost to The Center for Kids who Cant Read Good and Wanna Learn How to Do Other Stuff Good Too.
If he ends up that way, we all may as well jump ship. Marv shattered the record for being the worst coach in the history of Rebel basketball. If we are going to back to back it, shut the damn thing down already. Just be done with it.

If he ends up that way, we all may as well jump ship. Marv shattered the record for being the worst coach in the history of Rebel basketball. If we are going to back to back it, shut the damn thing down already. Just be done with it.
If we are that bad again they won’t be doing this voluntarily. How long can you operate a business when you’re bleeding dollars? Ignore Congress when you answer this question.

If we are that bad again they won’t be doing this voluntarily. How long can you operate a business when you’re bleeding dollars? Ignore Congress when you answer this question.
Amazon "isnt profitable" and they seem to be popular. I'm going to root for their basketball team if Otz can surpass an 11-21 season

No I am not saying that at all but if you remember back to the search DRF said that there is a WIN NOW expectation. So if this is her idea of winning now I don’t think it meshes well with most of the fan base let alone people on Rivals.

I think time will prove that Otz is much better than CMM but he seems to be taking more of a slow and steady build with his recruiting than WIN NOW.

I may be alone here but I don’t believe that CMM is the worst coach in the history of Rebel basketball. I place that dubious distinction squarely upon the shoulders of Rollie Massimino. He came into a great program with good players and a national brand and did everything he could to distance himself and the program from the past. One man’s opinion. And put a shitty product on the court.

No I am not saying that at all but if you remember back to the search DRF said that there is a WIN NOW expectation. So if this is her idea of winning now I don’t think it meshes well with most of the fan base let alone people on Rivals.

I think time will prove that Otz is much better than CMM but he seems to be taking more of a slow and steady build with his recruiting than WIN NOW.

I may be alone here but I don’t believe that CMM is the worst coach in the history of Rebel basketball. I place that dubious distinction squarely upon the shoulders of Rollie Massimino. He came into a great program with good players and a national brand and did everything he could to distance himself and the program from the past. One man’s opinion. And put a shitty product on the court.
People spew things because they sound good and rile people up even if they are the furthest thing from what they believe. Win now was said. Recruiting nationally was stated. We’ve seen neither yet. He said he would schedule tougher, he has. Sometimes crap is just lip service. Remember, does she really have a clue about basketball? She offered the job to Morton Poser. Think about that. Because the dude made a fluke FF in one out of his 20 years but has been basically a .500 coach in a garbage conference … he’s the answer? She was going to try and sell that? She doesn’t know hoops, not a little bit. We will see if she knows football.

Rollie was terrible and a crappy dude. His style was awful, he was a slap in the face to the program. We lost tons of tight games. And his recruiting was awful.

Granted, JR went nuts but we beat a ranked Georgetown game. He took the reins off JR and let him do what he wanted because you’re gonna win games with that single talent (similar to Marcus Banks).

No doubt, he sucked. He sucked as badly as Fred Haygood and Brian Hocevar.

Maybe he’s worse, maybe Marv is worst. That they are in similar company says a lot.

I really like Tony, there are so many things to like about him and many of the things he did. He really was all in, cared about the community and did leave the program in better shape than what he inherited, even excluding the fundraising/practice facility.

But you can just spout off winning percentage and record against UNR without thinking about context.

CTS was the coach of this school in arguably the worst era of the MW in football. Could not make up ground, and this season the rest of the conference seems to be making a jump while we were left behind. His record against his peers, even the lower teams in this conference has not been good when the opportunity was there.

UNR, he wasn't facing Coach Ault. He faced their worst coach in history (can't think of his name off the top of my head) then Norvell, who has been better than expected but a bit shaky at best. I love the wins against them and are very grateful for having the cannon red, but you can't dismiss their quality if you want to compare coaching eras.

Hopefully he becomes a set up guy for the next coach. We will see. I'm appreciative of how he ran a program and all the things he did. But the case for retaining him unfortunately isn't very good, especially with the artificial interest next year with the stadium. Got to make a change now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT