ADVERTISEMENT

Micah Bowens?

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Micah Bowens, the backup QB at OU and Gorman graduate entered the portal yesterday. I definitely think we need to go and grab him. Just based off of upside, I think he could be better than Brumfield and Bailey. At minimum, it pushes everyone to go harder in practice.

Micah Bowens, the backup QB at OU and Gorman graduate entered the portal yesterday. I definitely think we need to go and grab him. Just based off of upside, I think he could be better than Brumfield and Bailey. At minimum, it pushes everyone to go harder in practice.
Coming from you, I'll take that as an indication that we are going to try to get him. If we want to improve as a program, upgrades at all positions are welcome. And we always seem to be hit by the injury bug at the QB position, so good depth is necessary.

Well we have a lot of qb's. We need rb's and DL's. Bailey will thrive in this offense. The freshman from Texas and the other qb's are all D1 athletes. The question is who has the brain to make the spread and SYSTEM WORK. The OC and the qb's have to be able to break down the opposition strenghts and weaknesses and design a game plan to take advantage of small speedy backs and small receivers who are quick. Looks a lot like the Old New England Patriot system under Bellechick. Dink and dive.

Well we have a lot of qb's. We need rb's and DL's. Bailey will thrive in this offense. The freshman from Texas and the other qb's are all D1 athletes. The question is who has the brain to make the spread and SYSTEM WORK. The OC and the qb's have to be able to break down the opposition strenghts and weaknesses and design a game plan to take advantage of small speedy backs and small receivers who are quick. Looks a lot like the Old New England Patriot system under Bellechick. Dink and dive.
There's always the opportunity to transfer if you get recruited over. I'm not scared of any QB on the roster leaving because the new staff brings in better competition. All will be learning a new offense. Always upgrade talent where you can.

I don’t want to see any QB just handed the keys, they need to earn it with consistent work! No “flash in the pan“ type of hype like Bailey has, he has not consistently done anything here. Just because you got recruits by Tennessee doesn’t mean anything here. Now if he earns his way to the top spot, fine but saying he can do this before he proves it if wrong. Is he a gamer now or is it that many here are just down on Brumfield? Either way it does not mean Bailey is the answer. The competition should start in earnest in a few weeks, best man win!

Last edited:
I don’t want to see any QB just handed the keys, they need to earn it with consistent work! No “flash in the pan“ type of hype like Bailey has, he has not consistently done anything here. Just because you got recruits by Tennessee doesn’t mean anything here. Now if he earns his way to the top spot, fine but saying he can do this before he proves it if wrong. Is he a gamer now or is it that many here are just down on Brumfield? Either way it does not mean Bailey is the answer. The competition should start in earnest in a few weeks, best man win!
Bailey started 3 games for Tennessee in SEC 2020 (shortened season). He was more than just recruited by them. Coach fired and Huepel went with his own recruits. He definitely has the chops to be the starting QB at UNLV. Is he a system fit for this new offense? That will be up to them to decide.

Recruiting wise, He is among the highest level recruits UNLV has ever received via transfer at QB or otherwise (5 star). For some reason he was not given a fair chance by Arroyo or he himself may have been his own worst enemy. All indications were that he is a hard worker. Starting Friel over him was a joke when Brum went down. Why is Friel even still here btw?

Reactions: billd99s
Bowens 5'11 and 180 lbs sophomore. If the competition is to be fair, every prospect and player need to be present. QB1 in this offence need to. be able to read all of the defense formation and call the play at the line. At the speed we are planning to play, the defense will blitz and zone coverage. Guys like Rickie White and Jeff Weimer need to recognise that.

Bowens 5'11 and 180 lbs sophomore. If the competition is to be fair, every prospect and player need to be present. QB1 in this offence need to. be able to read all of the defense formation and call the play at the line. At the speed we are planning to play, the defense will blitz and zone coverage. Guys like Rickie White and Jeff Weimer need to recognise that.
Please retainer White and Weimer, they are both great players.

Bailey started 3 games for Tennessee in SEC 2020 (shortened season). He was more than just recruited by them. Coach fired and Huepel went with his own recruits. He definitely has the chops to be the starting QB at UNLV. Is he a system fit for this new offense? That will be up to them to decide.

Recruiting wise, He is among the highest level recruits UNLV has ever received via transfer at QB or otherwise (5 star). For some reason he was not given a fair chance by Arroyo or he himself may have been his own worst enemy. All indications were that he is a hard worker. Starting Friel over him was a joke when Brum went down. Why is Friel even still here btw?
Yeah, still don't get Friel starting over Bailey. Arroyo got lucky that Doug started hot, otherwise we would've seen Bailey sooner. I keep trying to illustrate te fact that while Doug looked good, he was statistically mediocre at QB, depended too much on his legs, and often injured... which was better than we've seen in a long time, so that makes him look much better than he was. Bailey on the other hand has the natural tools that 5 star talent brings. He mightve opted for Georgia but instead somehow Arroyo got him to Vegas and current staff has kept him here. Guys don't get 5 star ratings and recruited to start at QB in SEC country just because...

You think he will beat out Brum, Bailey and Edmundson....or Maiva and our 3 string from last year?

Yeah, still don't get Friel starting over Bailey. Arroyo got lucky that Doug started hot, otherwise we would've seen Bailey sooner. I keep trying to illustrate te fact that while Doug looked good, he was statistically mediocre at QB, depended too much on his legs, and often injured... which was better than we've seen in a long time, so that makes him look much better than he was. Bailey on the other hand has the natural tools that 5 star talent brings. He mightve opted for Georgia but instead somehow Arroyo got him to Vegas and current staff has kept him here. Guys don't get 5 star ratings and recruited to start at QB in SEC country just because...
5 stars or whatever, we need to see if he can compete with other QBs.

Friel was MWC freshman of the year.

He did that without playing a senior year of HS football and being buried behind Doug and Justin Rogers his first year as a true freshman.

By all reports (namely Caleb Herring) Friel had a very good Spring.

When he saw the field this year he had regressed.

He looked like he did to end his freshman year. Wasn't trusting what he saw, felt pressure that wasn't there. Probably a by products of poor offensive line play from his freshman year. He took a beating that season.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Mr. Irrelevent Brock Purdy is doing well in the games he play. Tom Brady was a late rounder who did well.
What these two guys have in common? They play and they wins at their schools. They're undervalued because of their preconceptions. The man's growth behind the preconceptions is the most important abilities that no one measure.

What these two guys have in common? They play and they wins at their schools. They're undervalued because of their preconceptions. The man's growth behind the preconceptions is the most important abilities that no one measure.

Because its immeasurable!

Brumfield is good, Bailey is good but who can put touch on it. Odom will figure it out. Brumfield can spin it.

You think he will beat out Brum, Bailey and Edmundson....or Maiva and our 3 string from last year?
Its very close. In my humble opinion, I think Bowen is better than Maiva and Edmundson. I dont think Maiva ever starts here and will transfer eventually. Edmundson will be "behind" already because everyone has already been in a college weight room and diet. My issue with Brumfield is he is so injury prone and is unlikely to last a full season. Bailey has the talent but hasnt put it together and in a qb, I want them to have that dog in them. I havent seen that from Bailey.

If Bowen were to come back home, I really think it would be between him and Brumfield.

Last edited:
His statistics say otherwise...

He was at nearly 65% completion which is solid. There were a ton of drops this year as well. I'm not talking 50/50 balls that defenders made a play on, I mean straight up drops. He hit a lot of guys in stride and in the hands that were flat out drops.

What is concerning is a 2-1 TD to interception ratio...You want it closer to 3-1.

The other issue was when he threw the picks. At least three that I remember were with UNLV in the redzone.

Doug's completion percentage backs up that he is accurate enough especially if he were to get help from his WRs.

Decision making is the question, not arm talent.

He was at nearly 65% completion which is solid. There were a ton of drops this year as well. I'm not talking 50/50 balls that defenders made a play on, I mean straight up drops. He hit a lot of guys in stride and in the hands that were flat out drops.

What is concerning is a 2-1 TD to interception ratio...You want it closer to 3-1.

The other issue was when he threw the picks. At least three that I remember were with UNLV in the redzone.

Doug's completion percentage backs up that he is accurate enough especially if he were to get help from his WRs.

Decision making is the question, not arm talent.
This, I can’t agree more!

Its very close. In my humble opinion, I think Bowen is better than Maiva and Edmundson. I dont think Maiva ever starts here and will transfer eventually. Edmundson will be "behind" already because everyone has already been in a college weight room and diet. My issue with Brumfield is he is so injury prone and is unlikely to last a full season. Bailey has the talent but hasnt put it together and in a qb, I want them to have that dog in them. I havent seen that from Bailey.

If Bowen were to come back home, I really think it would be between him and Brumfield.
I am okay with this right here. Competition is what we need not handing it over to the guy from Tennessee just because!

Brumfield is good, Bailey is good but who can put touch on it. Odom will figure it out. Brumfield can spin it.

One thing that limits Doug is that because of his injury history, coaches may not want to design too many runs with him. If he isn't a threat to keep it on zone read stuff defenses don't honor it and can pin their ears back focused on the RB. Turns zone read into a simple dive.

Doug doesn't have to keep it a ton, couple times a game would keep defense honest.

But we'll be holding our breath every time he does.

Decision making is the question, not arm
Outside ISU, he has 0 300 yard games, he throws short which is why his accuracy is good. He had 10 TDs, 3 of which came vs ISU. Relied to much on his legs if his read wasn't there. Vs the MWC defenses he struggled, got hurt, then struggled again. I mean a converted Safety threw for more TDs and yards than he did. That's might be fine if your goal is 6 wins... this staffs goals are not

Outside ISU, he has 0 300 yard games, he throws short which is why his accuracy is good. He had 10 TDs, 3 of which came vs ISU. Relied to much on his legs if his read wasn't there. Vs the MWC defenses he struggled, got hurt, then struggled again. I mean a converted Safety threw for more TDs and yards than he did. That's might be fine if your goal is 6 wins... this staffs goals are not

Again you are discounting the number of drops that receivers had.

Short passes are why his completion percentage was high? Yeah that's usually how that works. Shorter passes higher completion percentage.

That's also how the game is played these days, spread field, run quick underneath stuff and let receivers run after the catch. Take shots downfield when they are there.

He was in and out of the lineup all year with injury. That impacts a guys rythm and timing. OLine play was not good. That impacts a QBs timing and routes developing. He relied on his legs because he had to rely on his legs.

Again I'll defer to a guy like Caleb Herring who flat out said it's not arm talent or accuracy that is Doug's issue, it's been processing what he sees in front of him.

He has arm talent. Has decent touch. Has a strong arm.

He needs to make better decisions with the ball. Needs to be better at progressions.

There was also a rash of injuries at the WR position this year. Ricky White was limited a couple games. Weimar missed multiple games as did Kyle Williams.

That directly impacts a QB as well.

He has arm talent. It's the other parts of his games that need to improve.

Jeff George had one of the better arms the NFL has seen but he wasn't a very good NFL QB because he never got better at reading defenses. Rex Grossman same thing.

Last edited:
A couple of things.

Last year's offense wasn't good at exploiting other teams' defenses. Very poor initial game plan or execution. I don't if we had a hot start all year.

We struggled mightily against similarly talented teams, teams that had were often dissected by other teams at similar talent levels. So it wasn't "just a tough defense". See SJSU or AFA.

In the passing game, we had very few easy pitch and catch plays outside of screens. It felt like every throw down filed was trying to fit a pass into a tight window.

Some of that may have been the ability to read the defense. To me Bailey was able to do this a little bit better than Brum by the end of the season when Bailey was more acquainted with the offense. So yes, I agree that Brum probably struggles with reads.

The good news here is that it seems like this Go-Go offense will not have complex reads. It uses a lot of very odd fronts that pretty much forces the defense to show their hand a bit more or puts them out of position, or both. So most of the reads can be made pre snap.

This offense also needs a somewhat mobile QB. I think all of our QBs are mobile enough to be successful, yes even Bailey, but obviously Brum is seemingly the best runner in the group.

Brum probably has the strongest arm, and his accuracy did improve quite a bit in the last 2 years. He could fit it in some tight windows. He also did have drops, but unlike before, it didn't seem to be from too much heat on a throw, at least not as much.

You cannot discount his injury history, but you also cannot sit him if he is the best fit and healthy at the beginning of the year. You need solid back up options for sure. Also, it may have to be a Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe situation where if a back were to come in and is successful, you don't change back.

The best QB for this system should win the job in camp, that's who should get the job. My favorite would be Brumfield, but I would not be surprised if any of the QBs win the job, maybe the true Freshman.

I've known that family and watched him play since he was on Gormans middle school team. Micah can play and they are a fairly competitive family. Haven't spoken to them in years but I will say that Micah is the perfect QB for the GOGO offense. He is most like a RB with the ball in his hands than anyone on the roster. Running the option with Micah in this offense could be a nightmare with all the speed and versatility they are adding on offense

I was reading Oklahoma board and he supposedly was a walk on at Oklahoma. He never saw the field in his two years after he transferred from Penn State where he was on scholarship. I think if he comes home it will be to compete and he might be willing to do it as a walk on

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT