ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe SJSU

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Isn't the push over a lot of us were chalking up as a possible win.

About to be 3-2 on the year leading New Mexico late in the 4th..

And that includes a road win over Arkansas..

They are not a "push over" for UNLV!

I said this last week that SJSU will be a loss because they throw the ball and we don't defend the pass well at all. Love should pass for 500+ against UNLV!

They are not a "push over" for UNLV!

I said this last week that SJSU will be a loss because they throw the ball and we don't defend the pass well at all. Love should pass for 500+ against UNLV!

The UNLV pass defense actually isn't that bad.

They force a low completion percentage against.

That's good.

They allow a lot of yards per completion.

That's bad.

It stems from the lack of pass rush. Guys are forced to cover for way to long. If the defensive line could generate any type of consistent pressure the pass defense would be considerably better. They give up to many plays downfield. QBs are just to comfortable in the pocket.

UNLV is actually far worse vs the run than they are the pass.

We will demolish them like how we destroy our other football opponents! Let us in Big 12!

UNLV gives up "chunk" plays in the passing game and that is what SJSU exploits in their opponents defense.. the got "chunk" plays against a more talented defensive team in Arkansas and they "chunked CSU to death as well. UNLV's defense gives up chunk plays period my man, don't get fooled by the stats, they are meaningless when the lights come on, especially for our sorry ass Rebels D!

UNLV gives up "chunk" plays in the passing game and that is what SJSU exploits in their opponents defense.. the got "chunk" plays against a more talented defensive team in Arkansas and they "chunked CSU to death as well. UNLV's defense gives up chunk plays period my man, don't get fooled by the stats, they are meaningless when the lights come on, especially for our sorry ass Rebels D!

Yes they give up chunk plays because we only have 6 sacks on the year and four came in the first game.

That means 2 over the last three.

There is zero pass rush meaning the corners have to cover to long which leads to chunk plays.

If there was any pass rush at all they would give up fewer chunk plays.

The run defense is by far the bigger concern..

The way things are heading, losing to SJSU wouldn't shock me in the least.

Yes they give up chunk plays because we only have 6 sacks on the year and four came in the first game.

There is zero pass rush meaning the corners have to cover to long which leads to chunk plays.

We manhandled that SUU offensive line I’m telling ya!

People fight the basketball argument of “we may have looked great, but you HAVE to consider the level of competition”... bucking that line of thinking, which so many of our basketball fans tend to do, enables really bad coaches who are afraid to play anybody of worth a longer, undeserved, stay.

We manhandled that SUU offensive line I’m telling ya!

People fight the basketball argument of “we may have looked great, but you HAVE to consider the level of competition”... bucking that line of thinking, which so many of our basketball fans tend to do, enables really bad coaches who are afraid to play anybody of worth a longer, undeserved, stay.

Oddly enough the sacks came on blitzes. DBs accounted for 3 of the four I think.

Its hard to analyze every play while watching a game but it doesn't feel like they are bringing many extra guys the last few games.

Oddly enough the sacks came on blitzes. DBs accounted for 3 of the four I think.

Its hard to analyze every play while watching a game but it doesn't feel like they are bringing many extra guys the last few games.
Seems like there’s just an overall lack of aggression. On both sides. Sometimes with reason but it gives an ugly look. Most coverage is pretty soft ... not to a man, some guys do ok in coverage, but it’s more feast or famine. Offensive passes are very conservative - I get that to a point but dude can’t even complete the simple short passes. I’d rather throw it downfield in one on one coverage and hope for a play to be made.

I don’t know, other than laid back and soft, I don’t know what ANY of his team’s identities have been.

Same could be said about a Hauck and Sanford secondary too, they may have given the biggest cushions in the history of the game. I hate that look. Huge cushions are a flashing sign that say “we suck, we can’t cover anybody”.

Seems like there’s just an overall lack of aggression. On both sides. Sometimes with reason but it gives an ugly look. Most coverage is pretty soft ... not to a man, some guys do ok in coverage, but it’s more feast or famine. Offensive passes are very conservative - I get that to a point but dude can’t even complete the simple short passes. I’d rather throw it downfield in one on one coverage and hope for a play to be made.

I don’t know, other than laid back and soft, I don’t know what ANY of his team’s identities have been.

Same could be said about a Hauck and Sanford secondary too, they may have given the biggest cushions in the history of the game. I hate that look. Huge cushions are a flashing sign that say “we suck, we can’t cover anybody”.
Meanwhile, with Robinson, the dbacks weren’t in your face at the line, but they played tighter, and the safeties were strong in help too. KT sometimes played soft to bait a throw so he could make the pick, I loved watching that. And it’s not like those were awesome defensive teams, but they gave you a shot at winning instead of being the Achilles heel you could never count on.

Scheme doesn't matter to me as long as results are there.

Play soft coverage and give up yards but your defense tightens up in the red zone holding teams to 3..Sweet.

Blitz, zone, man whatever doesn't matter to me.

Offensively same thing. Air-Raid, Pro Style, Wisbone, I don't care as long as the results are positive.

Armani has never shown the capability to to be an efficient passer outside of a few games. If he is your guy this offense has to look like Wyoming or what New Mexico ran..Spread, zone read pound the rock.

If you are looking for a balanced guy, he ain't it, and the fact they continue to try and make him that guy is beyond me. You want a near 50/50 run pass ratio, go with Oblad or Gilliam. Not saying we would have any more succes but they are more capable passers.

Its not even the coverage thats the biggest culprit. Its the inability to stop anybody on the ground. SJSU was avg like 50 a game last year and rolled up over 150 vs us.

No pass rush, can't stop the run, saeties have to creep up...Annnnnnnnd play action pass for 30 yards down field...

Scheme doesn't matter to me as long as results are there.

Play soft coverage and give up yards but your defense tightens up in the red zone holding teams to 3..Sweet.

Blitz, zone, man whatever doesn't matter to me.

Offensively same thing. Air-Raid, Pro Style, Wisbone, I don't care as long as the results are positive.

Armani has never shown the capability to to be an efficient passer outside of a few games. If he is your guy this offense has to look like Wyoming or what New Mexico ran..Spread, zone read pound the rock.

If you are looking for a balanced guy, he ain't it, and the fact they continue to make him that guy is beyond me. You want a near 50/50 run pass ratio, you go with Oblad or Gilliam if he was heavy..

Its not even the coverage thats the biggest culprit. Its the inability to stop anybody on the ground. SJSU was avg like 50 a game last year and rolled up over 150 vs us.

No pass rush, can't stop the run, saeties have to creep up...Annnnnnnnd play action pass for 30 yards down field...
Not only this year.... but think back... how often have we had some sort of strength or identity to hang our hat on??? On either side of the ball. You know, even if it’s simple, something where you have an idea of what to expect and you get it for the most part.

"I don’t know, other than laid back and soft, I don’t know what ANY of his team’s identities have been."

We have soft players. Period.

I haven't looked at the offers our players received. But I'd be surprised if more than a third of our team had a chance to play at any other FBS program. .

Why would this mean anything? Because I don't think very many players come here to win. They come here because they can't go anywhere else. And they know before they get here, some way or somehow, they will lose.

This impacts team mentality. If deep down the majority of your players know they are losers they will lose.

I think the coaches you mentioned couldn't get past this mentality. mentality.

Not only this year.... but think back... how often have we had some sort of strength or identity to hang our hat on??? On either side of the ball. You know, even if it’s simple, something where you have an idea of what to expect and you get it for the most part.

Sanford redzone offense Phillip Payne on the fade..Thats it..

"I don’t know, other than laid back and soft, I don’t know what ANY of his team’s identities have been."

We have soft players. Period.

I haven't looked at the offers our players received. But I'd be surprised if more than a third of our team had a chance to play at any other FBS program. .

Why would this mean anything? Because I don't think very many players come here to win. They come here because they can't go anywhere else. And they know before they get here, some way or somehow, they will lose.

This impacts team mentality. If deep down the majority of your players know they are losers they will lose.

I think the coaches you mentioned couldn't get past this mentality. mentality.
I think there's alot of truth in that. And you just can't build a strong culture like that. You're better off with low level go getters, for a lack of a better comparison, Rudy's, that just don't stop. You're still going to lose alot, the talent level isn't high enough.... but it sets a better foundation for expectations. I DO think we have and have had SOME of those types in the program, but not thickly.

Our DB's suck too! Pass rush or no pass rush there isn't an NFL UDFA among our DB's.
The whole D sucks, it ain't just a lack of pass rush.

And because of the above facts, SJSU is not and never was a push over game for UNLV this year!

Our DB's suck too! Pass rush or no pass rush there isn't an NFL UDFA among our DB's.
The whole D sucks, it ain't just a lack of pass rush.

And because of the above facts, SJSU is not and never was a push over game for UNLV this year!

It was a game most expected UNLV to win and likely the only game UNLV will be favored. In the case of UNLV no game should be considered a lock. The DBs have more than held their own in underneath coverage. Its down the field they struggle because there is no pass rush. They cant cover forever. This is true of any secondary

If there was a pass rush it helps the DBs.

Are they great. No, but competent enough that if there was a pass rush of any kind they could hold up.

Low completion percentage against backs that up..

Their biggest issue remains stopping the run..

In regards to your 'facts' McTyer, and Jackson who played on equally bad pass defenses the last few years made NFL rosters. And Kalili who played last year was a last cut, I believe for the Vikings. They are not devoid of talent and haven't been. Whats the common denominator. Zero pass rush..

Today. They probably get shredded. Boise is just that good.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT