ADVERTISEMENT

Make the argument..

Tony Sanchez is a huge experiment as a successful high school coach that had 3 total year of experience at the FBS level in the mid-90s. He has been learning on the job.
Then he brought in a first time FBS coordinator this year that had to learn on the job.
They all have their backs against to wall playing enter the off-season with positive momentum.
I have been a critic but I ready to watch it play out next year. His success has to be graded on a curve.

No. No curves. Nope. Uh uh.

Either you are up for the job or you are not.

If we're grading on a curve I want my RAF donation and my season tickets priced on a curve.

He gets next year.

Bowl or bust.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Why drag it out? If he's coming back why didn't we know today?

Maybe they don't see any point.

Like I said to Trip, what's gained by it? All you get is disgruntled people like myself unhappy about it complaining on message boards.

Maybe they feel if it's out there he might be a lame duck coach, it would be used against UNLV in recruiting.

Why drag it out? If he's coming back why didn't we know today?

Even if Sanchez were out (pretty sure he isn't) I think you let him celebrate with his guys. Paint the canon. Enjoy the moment.

If he is out (he isn't) you wait a couple days. Make it look like it was a tough decision.

Real question is how long it takes for DRF to issue a statement either way.

Today the official statement was made.

“After evaluating the UNLV football program with Acting President Marta Meana, Coach Tony Sanchez will return for a fifth year to lead the Rebels. We are looking forward to a successful 2019 football season including bowl eligibility, continued improvement in the classroom, and as always, a positive student-athlete experience. We have invested more resources than ever into the Rebel football program and will continue exploring every avenue to enable it to be competitive.”

Puff , puff pass. Same stuff I was smoking when the rumor that state money was being asked for the stadium.
Remember this has more to do about future revenue and marketing for the new WestGate Stadium than the Rebels. A rising tide lifts all boats. Go Rebels.
Now stop Bogarting that joint gripple:pimp:

Well.... That is that.

Sanchez was in no real danger of losing his job this season. He did not need the win vs Reno.

(In my opinion a loss should have cost him his job, but no point in rehashing it again.)

That said there were things going on behind the scenes. Names were bounced around. A coach visited campus. If UNLV didn't have the financial problems it does, I believe he would have been out this year. (No point in rehashing or debating if this would have been smart or right move.)

Tina signed Sanchez to that extension through 2021. There was no way UNLV could buy out three years. (She's the gift that keeps on giving ain't she)

This could all turn out in UNLV's favor in the long run though.

If Sanchez is able to right the ship next year and go bowling, UNLV has him on contract another 2 seasons at a cheap price. If he stumbles again he's out. I believe the AD must be confident that there will be money by then for remaining buyout. In turn she could lure/hire a coach with name value/recognition to coincide with first season in new stadium which could create at least a little excitement.

Tony knows the bar now. Hopefully he is able to reach it or even surpass it.

.... If UNLV didn't have the financial problems it does, I believe he would have been out this year. ....
Then again, if UNLV didn't have the financial problems it does, we probably would have made a Bowl last year and won two more games this year.

To quote my dear deceased Dad, "IF is the biggest 2 letter word you'll never have an answer to."

Then again, if UNLV didn't have the financial problems it does, we probably would have made a Bowl last year and won two more games this year.

To quote my dear deceased Dad, "IF is the biggest 2 letter word you'll never have an answer to."

what??

We lost 2 more games this year because we ran out of money? I didn't remember forfeiting 2 games because we had to turn the lights off in the stadium..

You talking about Garrison? Meh that's a reach. I agree the O line underperformed, but still....

Your dad was correct...

We'll never know..

Reactions: Sam-I-am
what??

We lost 2 more games this year because we ran out of money? I didn't remember forfeiting 2 games because we had to turn the lights off in the stadium..

You talking about Garrison? Meh that's a reach. I agree the O line underperformed, but still....
Take a minute and think about it. Without the financial problems since TS took over, then
1] recruiting budget wouldn't have been slashed over the last three years.
2] new coaching facilities would have been done two years ago
3] could have hired a great DC rather than a rookie DC
4] would have kept Garrison who is an excellent recruiter
5] would have kept Ben Cotton and Cody Green as GAs who are doing great work at their new programs.
6] probably would have kept the coaches who left for Fresno.
7] the travel budget wouldn't have been slashed over the last three years.

It's easily argued that the combination of those 7 points/issues resulted in a net loss of, at least, 2 games last season and this season.

Last edited:
Keep him because there is nothing better going on..

Urban Meyer/Rick Pitino combo would be so unstoppable.

Take a minute and think about it. Without the financial problems since TS took over, then
1] recruiting budget wouldn't have been slashed over the last three years.
2] new coaching facilities would have been done two years ago
3] could have hired a great DC rather than a rookie DC
4] would have kept Garrison who is an excellent recruiter
5] would have kept Ben Cotton and Cody Green as GAs who are doing great work at their new programs.
6] probably would have kept the coaches who left for Fresno.
7] the travel budget wouldn't have been slashed over the last three years.

It's easily argued that the combination of those 7 points/issues resulted in a net loss of, at least, 2 games last season and this season.

I'll call you Stretch Armstrong, because you like to REEEACH...

this us UNLV, we've always had financial problems. And it's hard to cite financial problems since they have raised millions of dollars for a practice facility.

It's hard to complain about money that is going on. Have your cake and eat it too. We are UNLV, we aren't in P5, we don't sell tickets.Iit is what it is. Pick your poison.

It wasn't recruiting budgets that went heavy for offensive recruits, and neglected defense. That was a judgement call.

Coaches leave all the time, especially lower level GAs. Also GAs can be an asset to a team, but I wouldn't say they will win or lose games for you.

Coach Skipper is a good hire. A hot shot assistant at a successful top program. It's hard to do better than that at this level. His defense got good by the end of they year once they were finally able to figure everything out. And it wasn't his fault they neglected defense with recruiting of years past.

Garrison was a good recruiter, but it looks like they are doing just fine when it comes to OL without him.

It wasn't a slasjed budget that had us housed at home to a bad UNM team, it wasn't GAs that had us lose to one of the worst teams in FBS.

I'll call you Stretch Armstrong, because you like to REEEACH...

this us UNLV, we've always had financial problems. And it's hard to cite financial problems since they have raised millions of dollars for a practice facility.

It's hard to complain about money that is going on. Have your cake and eat it too. We are UNLV, we aren't in P5, we don't sell tickets.Iit is what it is. Pick your poison.

It wasn't recruiting budgets that went heavy for offensive recruits, and neglected defense. That was a judgement call.

Coaches leave all the time, especially lower level GAs. Also GAs can be an asset to a team, but I wouldn't say they will win or lose games for you.

Coach Skipper is a good hire. A hot shot assistant at a successful top program. It's hard to do better than that at this level. His defense got good by the end of they year once they were finally able to figure everything out. And it wasn't his fault they neglected defense with recruiting of years past.

Garrison was a good recruiter, but it looks like they are doing just fine when it comes to OL without him.

It wasn't a slasjed budget that had us housed at home to a bad UNM team, it wasn't GAs that had us lose to one of the worst teams in FBS.

Sanchez should be retained, he's raised tons of money and has changed the culture

Sanchez is struggling because they have no money and UNLV has no history or culture.

Same people.

Today the official statement was made.

“We have invested more resources than ever into the Rebel football program and will continue exploring every avenue to enable it to be competitive.”

Not sure that means a whole lot. "Not enough" is still "Not enough."

Looking at the schedule for next year, if we get bowl eligible - even "Wyoming" bowl eligible - CTS will have definitely earned an extension. But, like Idaho when they beat us a couple years ago at SBS and went on to beat CSU in a bowl, the Rebs would need the breaks to go their way all year, including staying healthy. The Vandals were totally charmed that year, but the next they went back to normal and returned to being their usual, sucky selves.

Saturday
Aug. 31 Southern Utah ThunderbirdsSam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV

Saturday
Sep. 7 Arkansas State Red WolvesSam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV

Saturday
Sep. 14 at Northwestern WildcatsRyan Field, Evanston, IL

Saturday
Oct. 12 at Vanderbilt CommodoresVanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN

2019 Mountain West Games - Dates TBA
Date TBA at Colorado State RamsCanvas Stadium, Fort Collins, CO

Date TBA at Fresno State BulldogsBulldog Stadium, Fresno, CA

Date TBA at Nevada Wolf PackMackay Stadium, Reno, NV

Date TBA Boise State BroncosSam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV

Date TBA Hawaii Rainbow WarriorsSam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV

Date TBA San Diego State AztecsSam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV

Date TBA San Jose State SpartansSam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV

Date TBA at Wyoming CowboysWar Memorial Stadium, Laramie, WY

Looking at the schedule for next year, if we get bowl eligible - even "Wyoming" bowl eligible - CTS will have definitely earned an extension. But, like Idaho when they beat us a couple years ago at SBS and went on to beat CSU in a bowl, the Rebs would need the breaks to go their way all year, including staying healthy. The Vandals were totally charmed that year, but the next they went back to normal and returned to being their usual, sucky selves.

Saturday

Saturday

Saturday

Saturday

This year was the year I thought he needed to make some strides.

Schedule was more favorable.

I'll call you Stretch Armstrong, because you like to REEEACH....

Ha! Good one. Then I'll call you Patrick Star.
5056lg.jpg

Saturday

Saturday

Saturday

Saturday

Very difficult indeed. Could come down to the very last game in Laramie.

Ha! Good one. Then I'll call you Patrick Star.
5056lg.jpg

I don't get the reference, but I've never seen a spongebob episode

Also great retort to any of my points. A presumed insult really goes a long way in a healthy debate.

Very difficult indeed.
I don't get the reference, but I've never seen a spongebob episode

Also great retort to any of my points. A presumed insult really goes a long way in a healthy debate.
I didn't think that you were one of those dish it out but can't take it guys. I did start out with "Ha! Good one." Sorry it offended you.
Since you didn't understand the reference, I'll explain. The point was just that you missed the whole point of my reply on how having more money would be a different situation and discussion, so there was no need to discuss it any further.

Last edited:
Very difficult indeed.

I didn't think that you were one of those dish it out but can't take it guys. I did start out with "Ha! Good one." Sorry it offended you.
Since you didn't understand the reference, I'll explain. The point was just that you missed the whole point of my reply on how having more money would be a different situation and discussion, so there was no need to discuss it any further.

You didn't offend, no worries there.

I don't anyone would disagree that this football program could use more money. Everyone that is a fan knows the financial state of the program.

My point, and I think Bull's as well, is that it is hard to complain about money when the school has raised/pledge millions to a practice facility, to a program that has been a black hole with money for decades.

Sure could we use more, but the retort is that other programs have done more with the same, or even less, than with what Sanchez has done. Our friends up north being a great example.

Now I appreciate everything Tony has done with the program. The practice facility should hopefully be a big asset to the program. I appreciate his transparency with the recruiting, and the attempt for the locals to take ownership of the program.

I do recognize that he has done at least as well as some of his predecessors, though the counter argument there is that the conference used to stronger in the past, but that is neither here or there.

I think that Tony deserves another year from all accounts. My confidence that he can do it is very low. I think I have seen enough to see that he may not be able to get to the next step.

I hope I am wrong.

Considering that SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, and Utah State have all been in the top 25 this season, the MWC had a fairly good year overall, and with the exception of the couple of years that TCU was in the conference, I would say the conference is just as good as it was in the past. How many times have 4 teams from the MWC been ranked in the top 25 at any time during the season?

THE MWC basically consisted of TCU (2005-2011), Utah and BYU with the rest of the conference mostly far behind those 3.

Considering that SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, and Utah State have all been in the top 25 this season, the MWC had a fairly good year overall, and with the exception of the couple of years that TCU was in the conference, I would say the conference is just as good as it was in the past. How many times have 4 teams from the MWC been ranked in the top 25 at any time during the season?

THE MWC basically consisted of TCU (2005-2011), Utah and BYU with the rest of the conference mostly far behind those 3.

Maybe little more meat at the top this year. though not quite the NY6 level, best of group of 5 like we were before.

Also counting SDSU doesn't feel right. Sure they started strong, but fell pretty hard. Fresno, USU, and Boise all legit. We played 2 of the 3 this year.

The bottom is also worse than usual to counter. SJSU was especially bad. UNM too (though they haven't been very good for some time). AFA has been well below their usual selves. Hawaii and UNR both ended with decent seasons, but their programs were better in their recent WAC days. I don't think many of our other coaches had as an easy of a schedule that we had this year top to bottom.

You didn't offend, no worries there.

I don't anyone would disagree that this football program could use more money. Everyone that is a fan knows the financial state of the program.

My point, and I think Bull's as well, is that it is hard to complain about money when the school has raised/pledge millions to a practice facility, to a program that has been a black hole with money for decades.

Sure could we use more, but the retort is that other programs have done more with the same, or even less, than with what Sanchez has done. Our friends up north being a great example.

Now I appreciate everything Tony has done with the program. The practice facility should hopefully be a big asset to the program. I appreciate his transparency with the recruiting, and the attempt for the locals to take ownership of the program.

I do recognize that he has done at least as well as some of his predecessors, though the counter argument there is that the conference used to stronger in the past, but that is neither here or there.

I think that Tony deserves another year from all accounts. My confidence that he can do it is very low. I think I have seen enough to see that he may not be able to get to the next step.

I hope I am wrong.

Exactly this.

Hawaii and Reno both pay their coaches less than what Sanchez makes. Have similar financial issues. Similar facilities. Play in outdated stadiums. And yet both made bowl games.

To be fair. Hawaii's 8-4 is a bit of fools gold. Only 1 win over a team with a winning record.

Of their 8 wins 2 were over FBS teams. Two others were against SJSU and UNLV.

Now to be totally clear. I prefer the upside and potential at UNLV with the new facility and stadium over those schools. But I'm not talking about next year or the year after that. I'm talking about right now.

Both those schools with very similar situations to ours had better results this year.

I don't think it was unfair to say that those coaches did a very good job getting the most out of what they had. Nor do I think it's unfair to think Coach Sanchez in year four should have seen results on par with either of those teams.

Last edited:
Sanchez should be retained, he's raised tons of money and has changed the culture

Sanchez is struggling because they have no money and UNLV has no history or culture.

Same people.
When does spring ball start. Can’t wait to get out there. Also is there any truth to the suggestions that CTS is a total a$$ around campus?

When does spring ball start. Can’t wait to get out there. Also is there any truth to the suggestions that CTS is a total a$$ around campus?

I've never heard that from anybody. I'm sure he butts heads with people on staff or within the athletic department. In fact I know he does. But I've never heard he's overbearing or treats people poorly.

No truth to it that I know of. Many professors have said to me that they really enjoy him and the degree of his concern about his players doing well in the classrooms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT