ADVERTISEMENT

lv twins

They both have offers from Weber St., but nothing currently listed regarding offers from any other school.

One of the big problems is neither of them attended any camps or are listed on any school visits as of what I can currently read.

The biggest knock on them is that their times in the 40 are a little slow which may hurt their recruiting even if they have the size which most big programs desire.

Originally posted by willlevi:
They are don't plan to play football in college. Academic scholarship.
Sorry to do this to you, but the irony in this post is amazing.

What irony? What is going on with Will?

Will, why don't you like our current staff or their recruiting methods?

Well Tripoda The irony is just a little grammar police made funny by adding academic scholarship to the mix.

It was immediately funny to me too when I saw it. but I make mistake typing stuff all the time.

You're right, the ultimate irony is when the grammar police make a mistake in their rant...which is why I stopped such practice.

However, this was simple irony of the grammatical error regarding a post about someone accepting an academic scholarship. Nothing against Will at all. I enjoy his knowledge and point of view. Simply found it funny.

I saw something just within the past couple of days that said they weren't going to play college football, but then reversed that decision. Knew they had strong academics, with schools like Stanford and Yale in the mix. Whether they play or not I don't think we're in the running.

#1 They didn't even consider scouting local prospects, I know they showed up today to pick up film on a few guys but generally they have focused on out of area kids only. To not even look at kids in the area is amazing to me.

#2 I don't like the way Gorman recruits but those guys at the program were sold on a dream of having a better shot of playing FBS football. Skipping over Russell Booze, Jabari Butler and Noah Tialavea as options has been a shocker with the guys they did bring in at those positions.
I know it took a good break to get Zack Singer in at Kent State where he started as a freshman last year. I feel the lack of Gorman players offered will be a black eye in two years when the loaded sophomore class become seniors despite what Otokolo says.

#3 A Texas running back coming off a 777-yard season running a 4.71 40 and another that gained just 689 yards as a senior.
With Ty Flanagan, Maliek Broady, Andrew Peterson, Russell Booze, Herman Gray and Al Lake all available, you take two less explosive and less productive backs

The 5'7 corner also gets me along with the 6'0 lineman

Overall, they hadn't even scouted the area much so I know why they didn't recruit the guys as they weren't even looking for them but I won't keep rambling.

That said, hopefully this UNLV class is productive on the field and sticks around to graduate. I'm usually very accurate with my evaluations but it still comes down to how they play on the field.

As a coach, however, I would be embarrassed to say I skipped the entire area my school is located and came out with a dud class. We have a lot of kids that will be big time players in this class locally and many will still be playing college football.

Will, you're a smart guy and I really enjoy your perspective. But you're missing a huge piece of the big picture here.

When you're the HC and you put together a coaching staff, you get more than just the assistant--you get their connections too. When you get assistants like Cotton, Seumalo, Larussa, etc---you have to take some of THEIR kids they were recruiting to build future pipelines in different areas around the country. Tapping into places like Texas, Florida, California, Hawaii, etc for talent today will pay dividends in the future by building relationships the H.S/Prep coaches in the respective areas...then later on when they have a can't miss gamechanger recruit, you already have your foot in the door from recruiting kids there prior.

You need to understand it would be so much easier for Sanchez to put all his eggs in the Las Vegas basket and not fly all over the country scouring for talent. But you need to make recruiting connections nation-wide. You increase your chances of accessibility to a larger pool of talent down the road by doing so.

You're right, you risk things getting messy by potentially passing on on some local recruits that may be marginally more talented than some out-of-state recruits. But that's a risk you have to take.

Will you keep clamoring about us not getting local talent or state talent and how a program program cannot survive.

As of yesterday....

UNR had 2 recruits from the state of Nevada. That was out of 14

Colorado State had 4 recruits from Colorado out of 11 total

New Mexico had 1 recruit from New Mexico out of 12

Utah had 5 recruits from Utah out of 22

Arizona had 5 recruits from Arizona out of 25 I would say the Tuscon Flag Staff and Scottsdale are demographically similar to Vegas. So Arizona grabbed 20 percent of all their recruits from instate.

Oregon had exactly ZERO recruits from the state of Oregon out of 21

Texas had 16 recruits out of 25 from Texas which makes sense based on the talent level of the football played there and population of the entire state.

Michigan State had 4 out of 16 recruits from the state of Michigan. That is a state with a huge population and yet Michigan State only brought in 25 percent of their recruiting class from in state?

Washington State had ZERO out of 24 from the state of Washington.

Florida had 5 out of 10 recruits from the state of Florida (makes sense based on Florida being one of the top states for high school football and there being an abundance of talent there.)

I could keep going. The point is UNLV with their 3 recruits out of 18 is well within the norm for a college football program maybe a little on the low side. Texas and Florida were the only two schools over 50 percent home grown talent. I would imagine you would see similar numbers for most of the California schools as well. So your theory that a school most build with local talent appears to be false in most instances. The ideal situation is to keep the local talent that you can not just anybody. I think in signing Nela, Polu and Johnson they have done the best they can.

Sanchez would know as well as anybody the true talent level of the kids in Vegas. No coach is going to purposely ignore a talent base if it would improve his team. Maybe he simply does not agree with your assessment of how good the overall talent in Las Vegas truly is at this point.

This post was edited on 1/28 6:18 AM by Bullmastiff 1

There is still one week to go on the recruiting trails. To say that Coach Sanchez isn't recruiting any Gorman players is premature. It was Nela who said "I am the first to commit from Gorman there are a lot more to come. I bet a couple of 3-star recruits who have already committed to other schools, along with a R.B., O.G., & C.B. will be in Scarlett & Gray next season. One more point, when Nela committed to UNLV the LVRJ article followed within minutes. Mark Anderson might be a quick writer, but he's not that quick. Perhaps UNLV's new recruiting team is also maximizing the PR wars down to a science.

Salt Lake and the Tucson area have about half the population of Clark County. The rest of the programs list have less than 1/4 the amount of people. Small population areas have to import talent and some programs have academic restrictions not faced at UNLV.

UNLV football will be UNLV football.
Familiarity breeds interest in a student population that is 83 percentage native Las Vegas residents with most only coming to campus for class.
Las Vegas has tons of options for entertainment that other places lack and UNLV will always compete with sports books and primetime football for fans.
As a program, UNLV has to change the template if they want the Las Vegas population to invest in the football team. Even being middle of the road won't generate heavy interest.
They are trying the angle of successful local coach but Sanchez isn't a Nevadan. He represents Gorman more than Las Vegas.
When this class is introduced only fans on this board will know the players that were signed but everyone else will see short Joe Blows they can care less about on the team that never wins.
Las Vegans love football, they support youth and high school athletics heavily. UNLV can tap into that love or continue to go it alone.
These are some of the kids the program could have been introducing next week excluding the committed kids and others set to sign:

RB/S Maliek Broady Sierra Vista 5'11 190
4.58 40 4.57 shuttle 30 vj 17 reps
3.4 GPA 1380 SAT
2014: 153 car 1410 yards 8.6 avg 16 tds (10 rec 266 yards 4 tds)
Career: 380 car 2879 yards 7.5 avg 25 tds (12 rec 277 yards 4 tds)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/924043/highlights/201177375

LB Jaren Campbell Palo Verde 6'0 215
4.67 40 4.13 shuttle 29 vj 19 reps
3.0 GPA 1230 SAT
86 tackles 2 sack (840 yard rushing)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/637660/highlights/207389378

DE Jamell Garcia-Williams Palo Verde 6'6 215
3.2 GPA 1524 SAT 19 ACT
32 tackles 5 sacks
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2015/01/1009JGW183.mp4

WR/RB/CB Andrew Peterson Sierra Vista 5'10 175
https://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/194660/andrew-peterson
4.39 40 4.19 shuttle 39 vj 10 reps
10.94 100m 21.94 200m 21'5 long jump
3.8 GPA 1430 SAT
2014: 113 car 864 yards 7.6 avg 8 tds (6 rec 208 yards 3 tds)
Career: 189 car 1366 yards 7.2 avg 10 tds (6 rec 208 yards 3 tds)
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/10/1009AP768.wmv
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/11/1009ap180.wmv

S/LB Nick Patrick Shadow Ridge 6'1 195
4.59 40 4.47 shuttle 29 vj 21 reps
3.67 GPA 1240 SAT
2014: 64 tackles
Career: 122 tackles
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/12/1009SRAS907.mp4
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2695920/highlights/171101385

DT Will Perriot Las Vegas 6'1 250
5.21 40 4.97 shuttle 27 vj 9 reps
58 tackles 4 sacks
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/10/1009WP896.wmv

CB/RB Albert Lake Green Valley 5'9 175
4.49 40 3.83 shuttle 31 vj 12 reps
3.0 GPA 1200 SAT
2014: 133 car 1258 yards 9.4 avg 14 tds (5 rec 130 yards 1 td) (42 tackles 2 int 1 sack)
http://www.hudl.com/v/7FgNL

S Graeson Vereen Palo Verde 6'0 180
52 tackles 6 int
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/637672/highlights/214460389

WR Joshua Villaros Basic 6'0 180
46 rec 842 yards 18.3 avg 11 tds
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4292264/highlights/201673378

OC Blake Coggins Arbor View 6'6 240
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/10/1009BC274.wmv

LB Te’Vion Reed Foothill 6’1 205
134 tackles 6 sacks
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4231523/highlights/221438377

LB Preston Pavlica Liberty 6’0 200
74 tackles 6 int 2 sacks
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/10/1009PP821.wmv

This post was edited on 1/28 8:08 AM by willlevi

This post was edited on 1/28 8:15 AM by willlevi

I think you will see an increase next year in local recruits. give them time

Seen him and was really impressed. although only one game he stood out

LB Jaren Campbell Palo Verde 6'0 215
4.67 40 4.13 shuttle 29 vj 19 reps
3.0 GPA 1230 SAT
86 tackles 2 sack (840 yard rushing)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/637660/highlights/207389378

that speed is very impressive if accurate

WR/RB/CB Andrew Peterson Sierra Vista 5'10 175
https://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/194660/andrew-peterson
4.39 40 4.19 shuttle 39 vj 10 reps
10.94 100m 21.94 200m 21'5 long jump
3.8 GPA 1430 SAT
2014: 113 car 864 yards 7.6 avg 8 tds (6 rec 208 yards 3 tds)
Career: 189 car 1366 yards 7.2 avg 10 tds (6 rec 208 yards 3 tds)
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/10/1009AP768.wmv
https://media.rivals.com/video/recruiting/football/recruithighlights/2014/11/1009ap180.wmv
This post was edited on 1/28 10:48 AM by reb4life777

Andrew Peterson Tweeted that he was going to Walk-On. Glad he will do that. I think he could turn some heads and find his way onto the field.

That is a quality walk on. If his speed is accurate with that kind of sat score he should pick up any thing the coaches want him to run and could earn a schollie real quick.

I'm glad he's walking on because he has terrific speed. He needs to prove he can play at the D-1 level because to me he looks closer to 5'4" than 5'10". But if he can demonstrate his size is fine then I'm sure he'll have a good chance at earning a schollie.

Andrew Peterson

Will your ability to twist facts to your liking is amazing..And also misleading and incorrect. Las Vegas makes up the vast majority of the population of Nevada. Yes it is bigger than Tuscon, it is not however a bigger population base than all of Arizona. Again I point out, Arizona's recent recruiting class had 5 of 25 recruits from the state of Arizona. I figured you would throw in population size hence why I brought up Michigan State.

Ohio State out of 25 recruits has exactly 10 from the state of Ohio which has a HUGE population. University of Michigan has 2 of 9 recruits from the state of Michigan. So please do not say I only gave numbers from small schools. Nevada is sparsely populated with the concentration being in two cities.

Also imagine there is a guy on another thread from lets say Arizona. And lets say his name is Bill Levi. Lets say Bill does local prep reports. Lets say Bill goes on the Sun Devil website. He notices that the new staff has recruited 3 players from Las Vegas. Bill simply can't believe ASU could possibly pass on the local kids. He then goes on to say how the new staff is recruiting from under rocks, that the kids from Vegas play an inferior brand of football and the new staff is going to kill the football program recruiting like this...Sound familiar?

UNLV's recruiting of local players is right in line with just about everybody out there Will. People lie numbers do not. I have shown numerous schools that are below a 20% rate of recruiting local or state talent. I have shown schools that are in densely populated areas and ones that are in sparsely populated areas. The only schools that tend to veer from that formula and are able to mostly rely on local and state recruits are those from Texas, Florida and California. Those are considered the three powerhouse football states in the country that are all densely populated have strong football traditions and turn out a ton of recruits year after year after year.

We went over this on another thread Gabe McCoy's stats are far superior to Garcia Williams. Gabe McCoy plays in the Bay area which is densely populated so it isn't like he is playing in some 7-7 league in Idaho. He was also named defensive player of the year. Does this mean that McCoy is better than Williams, no but based on stats alone he dominated vs equal opposition. You act as if this staff is absolutely out of their minds for going after McCoy and passing on Garcia Williams.

Andrew Peterson is going as a walk on. In my opinion to get that kid to walk on and not have to give up a scholarship is a win for the staff.

"I don't like the way Gorman recruits" This pretty much sums it up.

Glad Barney Cotton our OC visited him. Shows they think he has something to offer.

The staff hadn't seen Peterson until yesterday. He wasn't talking of being a preffered walk on, he just wants to play for UNLV.

As for the rest, local recruiting doesn't include Northern Nevada. San Francisco is even closer than Reno.
Flagstaff and Phoenix isn't Tucson. That said, your number did make a good point but Las Vegas is unique with Clark County has the 30th largest population in the nation and Las Vegas also rates #30 in city populations.
There are a lot more people in the immediate area for UNLV than most FBS universities in the country. They also have more immediate access to high schools than other major universities.

Like someone else mentioned, give them time. Assistants come in with the contacts they've made previously and want to keep intact. Nothing wrong with who we're recruiting. I would have liked to have grabbed the two kids who are going to Notre Dame but they didn't want to stay home and play for their ex-coach. No harm in that.

Years ago I was at a camp and heard a coach from Texas that was giving the clinic say something to the kids there.

"Not everyone can play at the local state university, but if you are good enough you will find a school somewhere to play at"

In other words a kid may grow up wanting to play football at State U, but in reality it's not going to happen. Just think how the kids that played basketball must feel when their lifetime dream was to be a Runnin Rebel for the home team when in reality not very many local talents get that opportunity. Only one Las Vegas kid on the basketball roster. Is Rice overlooking all that local talent?

Originally posted by bcvegaspt:

Like someone else mentioned, give them time. Assistants come in with the contacts they've made previously and want to keep intact. Nothing wrong with who we're recruiting. I would have liked to have grabbed the two kids who are going to Notre Dame but they didn't want to stay home and play for their ex-coach. No harm in that.
Nico is a beast who was the other?

Originally posted by willlevi:
He measured in at 5'10 at two combines so the height is official. He was one of the kids Cotton went to visit yesterday.

This post was edited on 1/28 10:06 AM by willlevi

In that case, did UNLV offer and has he already committed? It sounds like there's mutual interest.

This is the best thread of the year. Will is an absolute monster on Nevada recruits for the longest...and he will be as such going forward...interesting to say the least

Will- I respect your vast knowledge base. But I think it is misleading to partly base your assumptions on the quality of Nevada players on a statistical basis. There are many issues that skew the population numbers in this area. Yes, there are over 2 million residents, but consider the fact that there is a higher volume of retirees and transient citizens and that the culture of high school football is not a priority among the average sports fan here (mostly because you can't bet on it). You do know a lot about these kids, clearly you've watched a ton of film and live games to speculate on their respective potentials. The point you made on another thread about three NFL playoff teams starting LV RBs is a salient one. However, it seems you have an axe to grind with the new staff, and it is depleting your credibility. I'll sum up this way:
If the Rebels win, no one gives a shit where they came from.

In Las Vegas, the top 37 returning athletes in high school track ran under 11 seconds in the 100m.
In the entire state of Texas, 61 returning athlete in high school track ran under 11 seconds in the 100m.

Nevada Track Results
Texas Track Results

That is a difference of just 24 kids in a state 9 times larger than Nevada. I will note that more kids in Texas had automatic times but there isn't some secret athlete juice in Texas that makes them better. They are in the same high school student populations that every school has and as a school. UNLV is only recruiting the Houston area which

Houston Nike Combine Results

By sheer volume, Texas will produce more athletes and they have more instate college options than any place in the country. so more kids will move on to play college football than any other state.

Overall, my argument is somewhat for argument sake because I know the UNLV program will always focus its effort out of state

That said, there are two Las Vegas running backs playing in the MWC and they were #1 and #3 in yards per game in the conference. There were three wide receivers in the MWC from Las Vegas and they finished #5 and #9 in yards per game with Marcus Sullivan finishing outside of that top 10.
5 true freshmen from Las Vegas played immediately at FBS schools and the only two FCS signees also played right away.
11 players out of the previous class are also making a big impact in college.

I passionately want UNLV to be a great program but I don't feel this program can be a consistent winner while poorly recruiting the Las Vegas area. UNLV recruits like it is a small town program when it is in just as comfy of a position as San Diego State as the only MWC program with over 2 million people in its general area.

This was a loaded recruiting class that that is very deep and could have set the program up for now and into the future. Its amazing to me that it will go to waste.

Nevada Prep Report Top 50

I agree with reb4life777 that we should expect to see an increase in local recruiting starting next year. There is a financial advantage (out-of-state tuition cost) to the program to add more Nevada kids.

1. Only 3 of our 8 position coaches were in Nevada this past season. Campbell and Thomas are two Houston players that coach Christian watched play and evolve so it is understandable that these are the running backs he is most comfortable adding to his rotation immediately. Have faith that he and the other coaches will be watching every LV team for talent from now on. But it is not just stats and talent - there is a recruiting relationship that has to be developed.

2. Undoubtedly we will miss some gems in this year's LV senior class - most likely several of the players mentioned above. But in recruiting it is bad to "over offer" a particular area and devalue a program with the most elite players. An example of this would be the class of '15 basketball recruiting: UNLV placed highest priority on locals (non-Findlay) Zimmerman, Jeter, and Ray Smith. Nate Grimes and probably half a dozen other players who will eventually start at the D1 level were "passed up".
SanchezStaff_zps762fbe8d.jpg

This post was edited on 1/30 8:25 AM by BleedRebelRed90

Will -

Don't give a comparison that you didn't even read, and most likely don't really understand in regards to track.

First of all the two list you provide actually show 37 kids from Nevada with times under 11 seconds and 207 kids from Texas with times under 11 seconds.

Second, most serious track runner go nowhere near football and take track seriously as a year round sport. What this means is that this is apples to oranges in regards to football.

Third, If you want to make a fair comparison go and compare the number of 3* and above players in Texas to the number in Nevada. There are 227 listed in Texas, 214 in California, and 8 in Nevada. Even Utah which is roughly the same size as Nevada has 20. Considering at least half of the players in Nevada want to go out of state, that doesn't leave very many players to pick from.

Fourth, I do know what I am talking about because Ian (top 110m and 200m runner in Nevada), along with many other top sprinters and mid-distance runners, are on the same club track team as my son. The huge advantage that we have in Las Vegas that has helped the track programs is that a few very good coaches have become involved with the clubs to upgrade the southern Nevada track scene. In fact the head coach for the club team is also the regional coordinator for the USATF, and has a lot to do with why Ian is coming back as the top ranked sprinter in the state.

Just give it up and let the coaches do the recruiting and just buy tickets if you are actually interested in supporting the program.

Well in Coach Sanchez's speech, I got the vibe that he was going to recruit locally as well as get the commnuity more involved in the program.I also thought he said somewhere to expect more local recruits in his second year FWIW.

Will you are saying that UNLV is not recruiting the area heavily enough, yet they pulled in the #4, #5 and #9 prospects. (According to Rivals) If you count Peterson as a potential walk on that would make 4 of the top 20. They were never going to get Alize Jones or Brodus or Noah Jefferson. Garcia Williams who you seem to be really high on is probably a 2 year project for somebody until they get him bulked up some. On top of that I think that kid is destined to be a defensive end in a 4-3 defense. We have no idea at this point what type of defense coach Baer will attempt to run.

I think for a first year they did pretty well. I don't remember Hauck getting 3 (if not 4) of the top 20 recruits from Vegas in any year. (Correct me if I am wrong there. May have happened I just don't remember it.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT