ADVERTISEMENT

*LV Major Developing news*

Rebel_Westgate

Walk On
Jan 9, 2016
UNLV and Las Vegas are entering a very exciting time. I have been privileged to be able to gain access and receive confidential reports from areas within the Las Vegas entertainment community.

Its complex. Its exciting. Its happening.

----------

The first part to understand is there has been a large contingency working behind the scenes for approx 2 yrs now. The group has been getting larger and larger as we get closer and building momentum. The mission was simple. Make the city of Las Vegas (entertainment capital of the world) a now destination for world wide sporting events to strengthen the community grass roots and build the communities efforts in developing a professional sport model in the city, and strengthen the UNLV brand locally and regionally.

While back. I was told nothing will ever happen without partnership with UNLV and local businessmen. You can add a 3rd and that are the politicians. Oscar Goodman was a key component in bringing people together. There were many failed attempts (which I was told the Montreal Expos were 50% done deal signed sealed and delivered just waiting for the partners to poney up its share in a retractable roof stadium) MLB was signed off. But the deal fell apart. But what followed was key. A close friend was in on the discussions and he and the group reunited to partner with another company (i will not name) to develop and entice a professional sports franchise. There were man ins/outs. Lessons to be learned. Was told on man occasions its not a matter of if but when. Then it turned into players involved holding up the deal. Which led overtime to individuals wanting to run the project themselves.

Thus the city of Las Vegas decided to build a coalition with efforts to bringing everyone together and basically sell each others efforts off on their own. If one deals was a success the other which is your own would soon follow and that is whats happening.

The first key piece is what I have been told for a while but 2 weeks ago received confirmation that its 100% done deal waiting for the plan to be actioned and then announced.

For the first time in the history of Las Vegas - THE SILVER CITY- Will be the home to a professional sporting franchise. LAS VEGAS will be joining the National Hockey League.

What has been the hold up? Been told by multiple sources and one source whom is involved in the discussions that a major issue has been a hold up in a possible relocation. Not sure which franchise but i do not think its the Phoenix Coyotes or Florida Panthers. Kind of got the feeling that its the Carolina Hurricanes. Which would then allow the NHL to expand to Quebec City and then wait on the next relocation to Seattle.

The LV group was urging the NHL to accelerate as many of the small investors were getting antsy about their investment being held up. Remember the Foley group was wanting to play beginning in '17 and not '18? Thats the reason. They needed revenue coming in a lot sooner. The NHL didn't take this request too seriously which hurt negotiations.

This is the first part of the news. We can discuss these reports now instead of just posting one large story.

The next story - UNLV

First off Doneoett. I'm a Rebel booster and supporter. Maybe not as much as others but I am very close tot he UNLV team.

I do not need to prove myself to you since I have been reporting and breaking news and informing Rebel fans on various topics.

And no the NHL deal was not done for a while. 2 weeks? You were listening to rumors and speculated sports journalism. Las Vegas like Quebec City were never a lock. Even as 30 days ago LV was not a done deal.

In fact. Quebec City I have been told will not be in the NHL with Las Vegas. So you need to step into reality of what is happening from what you thought was happening.

Thank you

Reactions: the Florian Trout
*Yawn* ... I stumbled upon the "big development" thread a few days ago... With all the hype, I have to comment. I was expecting something BIG! The NHL story has been known for awhile now. And how this affects UNLV, who knows! I feel like West is just a huge troll.

Reactions: Doneoett
First off Doneoett. I'm a Rebel booster and supporter. Maybe not as much as others but I am very close tot he UNLV team.

I do not need to prove myself to you since I have been reporting and breaking news and informing Rebel fans on various topics.

And no the NHL deal was not done for a while. 2 weeks? You were listening to rumors and speculated sports journalism. Las Vegas like Quebec City were never a lock. Even as 30 days ago LV was not a done deal.

In fact. Quebec City I have been told will not be in the NHL with Las Vegas. So you need to step into reality of what is happening from what you thought was happening.

Thank you
Thank you for the update Westgate. I have certainly been expecting the NHL news and have felt personally like it was a foregone conclusion but you never know until you know. It's very exciting news so thank you for sharing with us! Can't wait to hear what's next....

Reactions: Angelsfan101

Thank you
Don't listen to some of these ungrateful posters. Many people appreciate the info you are posting that should generate massive excitement about the current and future gains the Las Vegas community should be expecting. Thank you sharing your information. The NHL was NOT a done deal and from what I heard there was a lot of uncertainty that it would actually cross the finish line considering how accelerated it initially was. Westgate also posted that he was not able to disclose a lot of the information he wish he could share given its sensitive subject matter. Be appreciative. Some have the audacity to laud someone who is investing a great deal of time and effort to disclose this. There is no gain to him other than to see people happy and excited. There are probably greater potential consequences to posting confidential information. Thank you Rebel Westgate we are happy you were able to share.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Thanks for the news! Based on your other posts, I'm guessing that this is just the beginning and that there are other dominoes that will begin to fall that will impact UNLV and Las Vegas. Maybe

Don't listen to some of these ungrateful posters. Many people appreciate the info you are posting that should generate massive excitement about the current and future gains the Las Vegas community should be expecting. Thank you sharing your information. The NHL was NOT a done deal and from what I heard there was a lot of uncertainty that it would actually cross the finish line considering how accelerated it initially was. Westgate also posted that he was not able to disclose a lot of the information he wish he could share given its sensitive subject matter. Be appreciative. Some have the audacity to laud someone who is investing a great deal of time and effort to disclose this. There is no gain to him other than to see people happy and excited. There are probably greater potential consequences to posting confidential information. Thank you Rebel Westgate we are happy you were able to share.
If he would ave given the name of the team I would believe in him more but saying we are getting an NHL team was already known. Then to say Quebec City was the other team, that is incorrect . Seattle was what the NHL was wanting,Quebec was always option 3. If I am pissing anybody off, then I am sorry but I am calling bullsh!t.

If he would ave given the name of the team I would believe in him more but saying we are getting an NHL team was already known. Then to say Quebec City was the other team, that is incorrect . Seattle was what the NHL was wanting,Quebec was always option 3. If I am pissing anybody off, then I am sorry but I am calling bullsh!t.
I hear what you are saying and of course we all knew the NHL was a strong possibility but its never a done deal until its a done deal. Westgate gave us confirmation of that and that's great!

Reactions: rebnum3
CONTINUED

NCAA conference expansion has been a growing concern to many programs. This I know well as I have been involved in many of the UNLV talks with other supporters and team officials.

What is happening now is the following.

The NCAA Power 5 conferences are making attempts to go to a Power 3 - that is right (3) conferences. It looks like now that the Pac 12, SEC, Big 10 are the 3 conferences with staying power. The ACC and BIG 12 are the ones who will be folding its tent. Here are the issues.

Last year. Both Arizona and Arizona State formed a committee to explore leaving the PAC-12 to the BIG-12. Sounds crazy. This is what they found. Many of there local supporters and fans wanted to stop playing late west coast time games for football. Texas led the movement believing this would strengthen the Big-12 to end the power 3 movement. One big problem Arizona State had was that too many of there west coast supporters were against the move. I was in on at least 4 meetings that had Arizona State and Arizona speaking with well known representatives out of California in San Diego discussing the future of the Pac-12. The last meeting led to an emergency Pac-12 AD and President meeting right here in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The result sent shock waves to everyone which my own opinion started the Big-12 movement last month.

Arizona and Arizona State agreed to stay in the Pac-12 and both schools are leading the way
for Texas to move from the Big-12 to the Pac-12. Texas 1st choice is clearly the SEC but they will never get the votes. So Texas has 3 choices. Pac-12, Big-10, Independent. And they do not want to go IND due to playoff rules.

Was told last week both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be discussing a move to either Pac-12 or Big-10 in May and will wait for Texas to make first move. Kansas is 100% moving to the Big-10. Was told by a reliable source that deal was made 2 years ago but Kansas balked last minute. I cant verify but some talk is Kansas could make announcement this summer.

BIG-12 expansion? YES its happening. The same thing happened to MWC and WAC.
BIG-12 wants to expand and have it happen fast. Right now Memphis and Cincinnati are the front runners. Louisville wants to join the SEC but will not get the votes. I think Louisville wants to get in the BIG-10 eventually and can get the votes but personally think they will stay in the ACC for the time being. Others disagree but I do not see Louisville moving around and around. You can tell already their fans are asking for some consistency.

UNLV?

And here is the big news.

I reported a while ago i saw the plans for the new stadium. what people do not know is the following

- (2) investors backed out late last year. Why? I am guessing it has something to do with the majority stakeholders role. I heard 1 investor backed out cause of the role he would have bringing his controllable interests to the stadium. And no its not the NHL. I think it was the Rodeo and concerts. Which leads us to the new big player. And its not who you think it is. Been told $250 million will be spent on the project with naming rights part of the deal. It will be partnered with UNLV and SANDS and the exciting news that UNLV will get invited to join the PAC-12 conference once the stadium is complete.

I have been told that its 100%. Now I do not think this is accurate just quite yet REBEL fans. I think this only happens if the Power 3 comes into play. If not. UNLV will move to the BIG-12 and then hope Texas and Oklahoma bolts to the PAC-12 which would force the PAC-12 to invite UNLV and possibly Boise State or New Mexico or Texas Tech.Why UNLV would go with them is that UNLV would now have the votes (hence the new big player) I can confirm that UNLV already has the votes but the PAC-12 is not expanding right now. Why? Cause they have to wait for the BIG-12 to make the first move.
If all teams bolt then there will be no extra expenses for making a move to either the BIG-10 or PAC-12.

After discussing with close friends and whom are close to UNLV. An invitation will happen due to the deals that will be taking place this year.

SEC expansion? Florida State and Miami are no-gos. This is whats hurting the BIG-3 movement at this time. It will be North Carolina and Duke i'm sure. I was told by reliable source that those 2 programs are a package deal and I agree. There is a strong possibility that Virgina Tech and Virginia would be the others joining the SEC.

RAIDERS TO LAS VEGAS?

It can happen. I knew of meetings dating back to 2012 when I was over at a friends house and I will just tell you who was there - an NFL owner and investors. remember folks. The Oakland Raiders 4 largest private investors live in Henderson, Las Vegas and Boulder City. one of the investors who is quite private operated a golf course west of the city. Las Vegas is high on there list.

The only way this will happen is if San Diego bolts to Los Angeles. If the Chargers stay in SD then the Raiders will move to LA. Davis will not want to risk the value increase and then sell the stake along with the investors to the highest bidder.

San Antonio is 100% out. St. Louis is 100% out. Its either LA or LV for the Raiders. We will know most likely this summer (June) if its possible. By that time. We should have an announcement of the new stadium.

Stay tuned

Last edited:
Meh most of the stuff I read linked Quebec, but its a delicate process in disclosing information and compromising sources especially when you have almost nothing to gain. You gain street cred on a message board? Not really worth it IMO. I am surprised he is even going this far.

Awesome!! It's taken the NHL so long I thought the deal was toast. I take it, 2017/18 is their first season or is 2016/17 still on the table considering it is a current franchise being moved rather than a new franchise needing draft consideration?

Here's hoping your next announcement is a Pitino deal signed and delivered, cheers!

Pac 12 invite AND the Raiders a real chance to move to Vegas. You're right, things are looking UP for Las Vegas and UNLV!!!

CONTINUED

NCAA conference expansion has been a growing concern to many programs. This I know well as I have been involved in many of the UNLV talks with other supporters and team officials.

The NCAA Power 5 conferences are making attempts to go to a Power 3 - that is right (3) conferences. It looks like now that the Pac 12, SEC, Big 10 are the 3 conferences with staying power. The ACC and BIG 12 are the ones who will be folding its tent. Here are the issues.

Last year. Both Arizona and Arizona State formed a committee to explore leaving the PAC-12 to the BIG-12. Sounds crazy. This is what they found. Many of there local supporters and fans wanted to stop playing late west coast time games for football. Texas led the movement believing this would strengthen the Big-12 to end the power 3 movement. One big problem Arizona State had was that too many of there west coast supporters were against the move. I was in on at least 4 meetings that had Arizona State and Arizona speaking with well known representatives out of California in San Diego discussing the future of the Pac-12. The last meeting led to an emergency Pac-12 AD and President meeting right here in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The result sent shock waves to everyone which my own opinion started the Big-12 movement last month.

Arizona and Arizona State agreed to stay in the Pac-12 and both schools are leading the way
for Texas to move from the Big-12 to the Pac-12. Texas 1st choice is clearly the SEC but they will never get the votes. So Texas has 3 choices. Pac-12, Big-10, Independent. And they do not want to go IND due to playoff rules.

Was told last week both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be discussing a move to either Pac-12 or Big-12 in May and will wait for Texas to make first move. Kansas is 100% moving to the Big-12. Was told by a reliable source that deal was made 2 years ago but Kansas balked last minute. I cant verify but some talk is Kansas could make announcement this summer.

BIG-12 wants to expand and have it happen fast. Right now Memphis and Cincinnati are the front runners. Louisville wants to join the SEC but will not get the votes. I think Louisville wants to get in the BIG-10 and can get the votes but personally think they will stay in the ACC for the time being.

UNLV?

I reported a while ago i saw the plans for the new stadium. what people do not know is the following

- (2) investors backed out late last year. Why? I am guessing it has something to do with the majority stakeholders role. I heard 1 investor backed out cause of the role he would have bringing his controllable interests to the stadium. And no its not the NHL. I think it was the Rodeo and concerts. Which leads us to the new big player. And its not who you think it is. Been told $250 million will be spent on the project with naming rights part of the deal. It will be partnered with UNLV and SANDS and the exciting news that UNLV will get invited to join the PAC-12 conference once the stadium is complete.

I have been told that its 100%. Now I do not think this is accurate just quite yet REBEL fans. I think this only happens if the Power 3 comes into play. If not. UNLV will move to the BIG-12 and then hope Texas and Oklahoma bolts to the PAC-12 which would force the PAC-12 to invite UNLV and possibly Boise State or New Mexico or Texas Tech.

After discussing with close friends and whom are close to UNLV. An invitation will happen due to the deals that will be taking place this year.

RAIDERS TO LAS VEGAS?

It can happen. I knew of meetings dating back to 2012 when I was over at a friends house and I will just tell you who was there - an NFL owner and investors. remember folks. The Oakland Raiders 4 largest private investors live in Henderson, Las Vegas and Boulder City. one of the investors who is quite private operated a golf course west of the city. Las Vegas is high on there list.

The only way this will happen is if San Diego bolts to Los Angeles. If the Chargers stay in SD then the Raiders will move to LA. Davis will not want to risk the value increase and then sell the stake along with the investors to the highest bidder.

San Antonio is 100% out. St. Louis is 100% out. Its either LA or LV for the Raiders. We will know most likely this summer (June) if its possible. By that time. We should have an announcement of the new stadium.

Stay tuned
Ok so now I can back you up on something here then. I do know for a 100% fact that UNLV has been "trying" to work on making a move to the PAC-12. What I did not know was that there was reciprocation from the PAC-12, if your report is correct.

There is truly little doubt that UNLV with a stadium on the strip, basketball tradition, new medical school, top 50 TV market, Las Vegas as a market in general and action plan to become a Tier 1 research university that UNLV would one day be in a major conference. I always thought that the key to that was showing signs of life in football which requires the stadium. Stadium is #1 issue for us.

Stadium will be done in 2020 or 2021 which coincides closely with a lot of conference TV contracts coming due...so the timing works well for us.

Now we need the Sanchize to get this football program rolling ahead of all of this to ensure our place. Because what is a done deal today is not a done deal 5 or 6 years from now.

CONTINUED

Was told last week both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be discussing a move to either Pac-12 or Big-10 in May and will wait for Texas to make first move. Kansas is 100% moving to the Big-10. Was told by a reliable source that deal was made 2 years ago but Kansas balked last minute. I cant verify but some talk is Kansas could make announcement this summer.

BIG-12 wants to expand and have it happen fast. Right now Memphis and Cincinnati are the front runners. Louisville wants to join the SEC but will not get the votes. I think Louisville wants to get in the BIG-10 eventually and can get the votes but personally think they will stay in the ACC for the time being. Others disagree but I do not see Louisville moving around and around. You can tell already their fans are asking for some consistency.

UNLV?

I have been told that its 100%. Now I do not think this is accurate just quite yet REBEL fans. I think this only happens if the Power 3 comes into play. If not. UNLV will move to the BIG-12 and then hope Texas and Oklahoma bolts to the PAC-12 which would force the PAC-12 to invite UNLV and possibly Boise State or New Mexico or Texas Tech.Why UNLV would go with them is that UNLV would now have the votes (hence the new big player) I can confirm that UNLV already has the votes but the PAC-12 is not expanding right now. Why? Cause they have to wait for the BIG-12 to make the first move.
If all teams bolt then there will be no extra expenses for making a move to either the BIG-10 or PAC-12.

SEC expansion? Florida State and Miami are no-gos. This is whats hurting the BIG-3 movement at this time. It will be North Carolina and Duke i'm sure. I was told by reliable source that those 2 programs are a package deal and I agree. There is a strong possibility that Virgina Tech and Virginia would be the others joining the SEC.

RAIDERS TO LAS VEGAS?

Stay tuned
When you mean Kansas(Or OU and OKst) is moving to the BIG 12 you mean BIG 10 right? They are obviously already in the BIG 12. Interesting tidbits. Conference expansion/reconfiguration is far from over. *Edit you caught it. It happens to the best of us. Certainly me all the time.

CONTINUED

UNLV?

RAIDERS TO LAS VEGAS?

Stay tuned

Very encouraging news, although I call absolute BS on Boise State even being considered for a move to the Pac12. Their academic requirements are not even close to high enough to gain entrance.

Very encouraging news, although I call absolute BS on Boise State even being considered for a move to the Pac12. Their academic requirements are not even close to high enough to gain entrance.
The Big 12 Grant of Rights (meaning Big 12 controls a teams TV money, not the school) is a big sticking point in all of this. However if the conference dissolves because a bunch of teams leave then I guess there is no Grant of Rights.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
CONTINUED

UNLV?

RAIDERS TO LAS VEGAS?

Stay tuned
Something else to add to this. When Westgate says UNLV has the votes, it "probably" has to do with Ed Roski who owns Majestic Real Estate/Silverton Hotel. Ed is on the USC Board of Trustees or was on the board at one time and the RJ just reported that he will be involved in the stadium. Remember it was Roski who proposed the UNLVNOW project in 2011. Just to connect some potential dots.

I hope we get the Coyotes. It is better to have an established team than build one from scratch with leftover players and a few high draft picks. I'm a diehard Blackhawks fan and would love to see them play in Vegas. How does the NHL affect UNLV? I believe the perspective NHL Vegas team owner has offered to financially help move the Rebel hockey team from a club team to a NCAA team to help generate interest in the sport in Vegas. They are already competitive. If you guys haven't attended a Skaketing Rebels game, you really should. It will also mean adding another women's team which I hope will be ladies lacrosse since my niece plays for them now They are also a good team and could be competitive in the NCAA.

I would love having the NHL in Vegas, as a LA Kings fan. I would def root for the Vegas team and be a little indifferent when Vegas plays LA

I’m curious, with all of this perspective NCAA re-alignment, where does SDSU stand? Despite the fact that just saying/typing the words cause me instant digestive distress, they have been, at least recently, the pre-eminent program in both basketball and football.

Are they lacking, academically? Or is there some other criteria which they fail to meet? Whatever the reason, I hope they are, in fact, left on the outside looking in. Couldn’t happen to a nicer school…

In academics, they would be better then most of the PAC12. They have an average freshmen entering GPA of around 3.7. With the exception of Air Force, they would be by far the hardest school to get into out of the MWC.

Dude, Rebel_Westgate, you are one of the most connected sports guys in Vegas history. Never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing here. Exciting times to be a Rebel fan.

Reactions: ljurich
This has been a done deal for awhile. The NHL was waiting for a second team to join with the Las Vegas team. Sorry, but this is not anything new and maybe you are trolling us.
Actually, the NHL has said nothing about expansion ever since LV and QC submitted their bids. In fact, the silence has been deafening. There certainly has been no indication that the NHL would even approve the Vegas bid, let alone term it a "done deal".

I know rumors saying the big hold up was Quebec City. They have big ownership (media conglomerate) and a brand new arena. Should be a no-brainer, right? Conference realignment. Who gets moved out to accomodate the QC team? Tricky scenario.

Westgate intimating that the Hurricanes come west is big news. I haven't heard that, and it neatly allows for QC to take a eastern slot where there was none to begin with.

I am guessing that attorneygeneral is owing somebody some money right about now

Westgate is...
51dkFzY7nRL.jpg

...and he's a Rebel fan.

Interesting speculation but I've had my hopes raised and crushed so many times by UNLV that I'll take this talk with a couple pounds of salt. It goes without saying I hope all this stuff happens and UNLV is vaulted to greatness once again but, you know...

And, for those of you who forgot, the Carolina Hurricanes were formerly known as.......... The Hartford Whalers! Probably the best logo of all time and most certainly the most annoying goal music ever! Bring it back!
Now that would be awesome, bring back some old school class to the franchise! Be even better if a live band was playing it after every goal..

As a Blackhawks fan, I think Chelsea Daggar is the best goal song along with THE HORN of course.
I don't know about best song but the most annoying (for opposing fans) is the Rangers' slapshot, hands down. HEY, HEY, HEY-HEY-HEY... the players hate it lol

Hockey...YAWN.
You have obviously never been to an NHL game. Hockey players are by far the best athletes of all the pro sports. They have the strength of football players, the coordination of baseball players with the conditioning of basketball players. I Love hockey and my Blackhawks and my Skating Rebels

As a fan of both the Pittsburgh Penguins and Dynamo Moscow, I hope the Vegas team gets Ovechkin so I can finally start rooting for him LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT