ADVERTISEMENT

Line'um Up Vanderbilt

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
I'm sure the predictions will be super positive this week....

Vanderbilt is a bad team (pot kettle black).

They are 1-4.

Statistically one of the worst offenses and defenses in the country..(More pot kettle black)

A lot of that stems from games against Georgia, LSU and Mississippi.

Can't imagine that two 1-4 teams will result in a big home crowd for them.

Vandy has a very good TE in Pickney and their running back is pretty solid.

Coach Sanchez teams actually perform pretty well the first time he faces an opposing coach.

The line has stayed pretty stagnat at 14.5.

This game looks a lot like Northwestern game. UNLV keeps it closer than the spread..

Vandy 27
UNLV 21

I'm sure the predictions will be super positive this week....

Vanderbilt is a bad team (pot kettle black).

They are 1-4.

Statistically one of the worst offenses and defenses in the country..(More pot kettle black)

A lot of that stems from games against Georgia, LSU and Mississippi.

Can't imagine that two 1-4 teams will result in a big home crowd for them.

Vandy has a very good TE in Pickney and their running back is pretty solid.

Coach Sanchez teams actually perform pretty well the first time he faces an opposing coach.

The line has stayed pretty stagnat at 14.5.

This game looks a lot like Northwestern game. UNLV keeps it closer than the spread..

Vandy 27
UNLV 21
31-13 bad guys

I have no clue. I think Oblad has a lot of potential, but it depends on coaching and how the rest of the team plays.

I have no clue. I think Oblad has a lot of potential, but it depends on coaching and how the rest of the team plays.

He has decent arm strength, touch and accuracy.

Offensive line gets juggled again this week, with Matt Brayton out. Could lead to more protection issues.

I really don't think protection issues will be as big as the play calling and the receivers not dropping wide open passes!

I really don't think protection issues will be as big as the play calling and the receivers not dropping wide open passes!

Maybe.

But what is your issue with the play calling specifically?

Mine is the run/pass ratio. I think this team is built to run the ball. I think they give up on the run to early.

But in terms of actual individual play calling, I'm not sure what the issues are.

If it was a case of getting down inside the five and they throw three incomplete passes and settle for a FG, sure I get it.

But when your QBs are only completing 50% of their passes that isn't play calling that's execution. It puts you behind the sticks. Takes you out of rythm.

Folks complained about Cotton's play calling and his offenses averaged 30 ppg..

Are they not attacking downfield enough? Do you not like the route combinations?
Not enough runs to the perimeter?

We will score twice off of turnovers and win a squeaker 24-21.

Have to go with my gut again. I stop watching at halftime but unlv wins!

Yes every year we have 1 game we should lose that we win. Fresno, SDSU, Air Force. My gut tells me this year it's Vandy.

Maybe.

But what is your issue with the play calling specifically?

Mine is the run/pass ratio. I think this team is built to run the ball. I think they give up on the run to early.

But in terms of actual individual play calling, I'm not sure what the issues are.

If it was a case of getting down inside the five and they throw three incomplete passes and settle for a FG, sure I get it.

But when your QBs are only completing 50% of their passes that isn't play calling that's execution. It puts you behind the sticks. Takes you out of rythm.

Folks complained about Cotton's play calling and his offenses averaged 30 ppg..

Are they not attacking downfield enough? Do you not like the route combinations?
Not enough runs to the perimeter?
I don’t know about this response. Do you realize you just asked for specifics? This is the REBEL FOOTBALL FORUM!!! We come here to RANT, not to DISCUSS & exchange THOUGHTS & IDEAS!!!!

I don't know of this playcalling from which you speak...

I'm just a CAVEMAN. Your world confuses and frightens me.

UNLV FOOTBALL BAD!!!

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I don’t know about this response. Do you realize you just asked for specifics? This is the REBEL FOOTBALL FORUM!!! We come here to RANT, not to DISCUSS & exchange THOUGHTS & IDEAS!!!!

I'm honestly curious.

'Playcalling' is often an easy scapegoat.

Take Northwestern.

There were a couple drops, a couple missed throws, a WR fumbled after getting first down yardage. All of that impacts the next play call.

Plays were the right call. Execution failed.

What aren't they calling that people would like to see called?

I'm honestly curious.

'Playcalling' is often an easy scapegoat.

Take Northwestern.

There were a couple drops, a couple missed throws, a WR fumbled after getting first down yardage. All of that impacts the next play call.

Plays were the right call. Execution failed.

What aren't they calling that people would like to see called?
I would like to see an occasional draw, screen or a pass to the RB after he runs through the line. Or how about a quick slant?

As for our last game I think the first 3 or 4 series we ran on 1’st down for little or no gain leaving us with 2’nd or 3’rd & long. Not a good spot for a novice play caller & Freshman QB against a ranked team.

How about a quick slant or out for 4-5 yds on 1’st down which would set the run up? We are just very predictable

How about a QB rollout with an underneath shovel pass to Charles Williams.

Not sure whether I have used good football terminology as I basically come here to rant & don’t really know much about football.

I would like to see an occasional draw, screen or a pass to the RB after he runs through the line. Or how about a quick slant?

As for our last game I think the first 3 or 4 series we ran on 1’st down for little or no gain leaving us with 2’nd or 3’rd & long. Not a good spot for a novice play caller & Freshman QB against a ranked team.

How about a quick slant or out for 4-5 yds on 1’st down which would set the run up? We are just very predictable

Not sure whether I have used good football terminology as I basically come here to rant & don’t really know much about football.

I'll leave it at this.

If this team cannot run the ball effectively they may only win 1 or 2 more game.

Which two teams in our schedule are we going to beat?

If I had to list best chances to beat, not suggesting they will...

Probably...

CSU..History not on our side here but they are struggling and have a lot of questions surrounding their own HC.

Hawai'i..Home team has had an advantage in this one over the years. UH offense looks really good this year though. I doubt it but it wouldn't surprise me..

If I had to list best chances to beat, not suggesting they will...

Probably...

CSU..History not on our side here but they are struggling and have a lot of questions surrounding their own HC.

Hawai'i..Home team has had an advantage in this one over the years. UH offense looks really good this year though. I doubt it but it wouldn't surprise me..
The ESPN Match-up Indicator shows us a prohibitive dog to all but Reno - where we are a moderate dog.

IMO, if we lose to SDSU badly (and drop out of any possibility of a bowl) Sanchez will lose the team and the rest of the season will be blowouts.

Reactions: rebel5280
The ESPN Match-up Indicator shows us a prohibitive dog to all but Reno - where we are a moderate dog.

IMO, if we lose to SDSU badly (and drop out of any possibility of a bowl) Sanchez will lose the team and the rest of the season will be blowouts.

I realize all that.

Hawaii game looks like a bad matchup, but those games have been close over the last few years regardless of records.

Reno being a rivalry game you never know. They could need that one for bowl eligibility.

CSU may fire Bobo after the season.

I'm just looking for some silver lining here..

I agree though it doesn't look promising.

That's part of the issue though. They give up on the run to early in my opinion. Oblad didn't start getting on track until the run game started producing. Takes pressure off the QB when you can run the ball...

Screen passes would be great, Rebs haven't utilized it much under Sanchez regardless of who is at QB. Two of the better pass catching backs, Magyar and Reece have been out. Might be why they don't implement it more, don't know.

I've been silent a long time attended the Boise game, there were moments.
I'm hoping for a balanced attack I liked the addition of Chad Magyar he and Charles might be the right mix. If Oblad can make some key throws just give the boys a chance late, defense plays inspired, we got a shot. Haven't given up yet.
Side note I could not believe AD Desiree scanned my ticket entering the game you don't see that at USC games.

I've been silent a long time attended the Boise game, there were moments.
I'm hoping for a balanced attack I liked the addition of Chad Magyar he and Charles might be the right mix. If Oblad can make some key throws just give the boys a chance late, defense plays inspired, we got a shot. Haven't given up yet.
Side note I could not believe AD Desiree scanned my ticket entering the game you don't see that at USC games.

Magyar gives them a slightly bigger back to compliment Chuck. He also showed good hands in camp. Could provide QBs with a nice safety valve out of the backfield.

I don't know how much better the defense has really played this year.

The Good: Kept the games close despite offensive struggles vs Northwestern and Boise.

The Bad: Wyoming and Arkansas State games were brutal. Especially the Wyoming game.

The Ugly: Pass rush continues to be nearly nonexistent. 7 sacks in 5 games and 4 of them came against SUU. Run defense continues to be an issue as well.

They dug a huge hole to start the year. They have to have this game. I can't see them going 5-1 against the remaining schedule.

If they struggle to run the ball vs Vandy and take pressure off Oblad, we will see the same type of result we saw against Boise and Northwestern.

Anyone know if there will be a link for this game, I'm pretty sure I don't have the SEC network.

Anyone know if there will be a link for this game, I'm pretty sure I don't have the SEC network.
Not positive and won’t be till the game starts but I think it is on the ESPN app. I found it listed and it didn’t have the ESPN PLUS icon. I switched to ATT TV & they don’t have the SEC channel

I have HULU live and they are showing the game.

They have a free 1 week trial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT