ADVERTISEMENT

Juiston Recognized...

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
…As Mountain West Player of the week. And a well-deserved accolade for our most consistently invaluable player. They chose him because he put up some gaudily impressive numbers, but truth be told, Shakur can have games where he barely scores yet still be the MVP. He contributes in so many ways. Ways that don’t necessarily show up in the box score. But are greatly responsible for the team’s success.

Brandon McCoy made the biggest splash in Coach Menzies’ impressive recruiting class, and rightly so. A 7-footer who has skills far beyond his tender 19-years. But we all know he’s one-and-done. No one (other than his mother, come on Mom!) can convince him to delay the million-dollar payday that awaits him. It’s a shame that the college game has come to this. An extra year, or two, honing his skills and beefing up in anticipation of the rough-and-tumble game at the next level, would be extremely beneficial. But alas, I know I’m pissing in the wind.

But unlike Brandon, Shakur is no sure-fire lottery pick. In some ways he reminds me of Khem Birch. He too, did so many little things that helped the team. But he ultimately eschewed his senior year. He went undrafted, and has never made a mark in the NBA. He’s been toiling in the D-League, the G-League and on an overseas odyssey that has included stops in Turkey and Greece ever since. I have no idea what kind of salary these teams pay out, but I doubt that it’s what Khem envisioned for himself as a young ball player growing up in Montreal.

We are so lucky to have landed Juiston as a Runnin’ Rebel. Hopefully he intends to exercise his two years of eligibility here. That is, not to jump the gun on the NBA, like too many recent Rebels have done. I love to watch him play, with UNLV emblazoned on his chest. In several games this year, I’ve gone back and re-ran our games exclusively focusing on Juiston.

Okay, I’ll stop rhapsodizing. I just want all Rebel fans to grasp the jewel that we’ve landed in Shakur Juiston

pissing_wind-300x300.jpg

Go Rebels!
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...shakur-juiston-earns-mw-player-of-week-honor/

Last edited:
While playing in Europe may not be as glamorous as playing in the NBA, it is very common for American players (Canada included) to make more the $1 million a year. I can't say how much Birch has made in Turkey and other teams in Europe, but if he has saved his money, it is likely he is a millionaire now. A lot of players that are either not able to stay in the NBA, or do not make the final roster, end up playing overseas because they receive much better pay then they would ever get in the G league.

In some ways he reminds me of Khem Birch. He too, did so many little things that helped the team. But he ultimately eschewed his senior year. He went undrafted, and has never made a mark in the NBA. He’s been toiling in the D-League, the G-League and on an overseas odyssey that has included stops in Turkey and Greece ever since.

Related: http://www.nba.com/magic/roster ; http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2578240/khem-birch

Khem is currently on the Orlando Magic roster. Contributing outside of game situations, or they have faith that when he's called upon he'll be okay.

He is listed at a salary of $815,000 for the season. I would love to make that type of money.
Yeah, me too. But I think you guys are all missing my point. I’m delighted for Khem if he’s making good money and hopefully salting it away. Judging from the brief glimpse we got into his personality, I suspect he’s being responsible with his money.

But I still contend that lonely nights in Greece or Turkey were not what he envisioned growing up. Money is not the be-all and end-all in life. And while there’s nothing to support the contention that his career path might have gone differently if he stayed for his senior year, we’ll never know now, will we?

I just believe that guys like Khem, and Shakur…Glue Guys…should complete their eligibility to prove to NBA teams that they stick to their commitments. It just might convince a GM to give them a closer look. And make school’s fans very happy…
GettyImages-1388309.0.jpg

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT